• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A simple sweet potato

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As many of you know from other posts I've made, my daughter has Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes. That said, we try to follow a healthy but lower carbohydrate diet (not a weight loss diet).

Every once in a while you just need to go off those food fasts and eat something you really enjoy. So Melen has been doing really well with her eating, and really well in school and so my wife decided that she could have an end of the year celebration meal, any food she wanted, no matter what the carb count.

Melen's choices:
  • Rib Eye Steak, grilled, rare.
  • Grilled Veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms)
  • Sweet Potato (a big one!) with brown sugar cinnamon butter :whistling:
  • Diet IBC Root Beer to wash it all down
Clearly the Rib Eye and the Grilled Veggies were great choices for her because both a no/low carb foods. No blood sugar elevation issues there. But that Sweet Potato topped with Brown Sugar is a blood sugar elevating coma waiting to happen.

So Melen decided to make up the Sweet Potato topping and omit the brown sugar (she was not told to do this).

She took a 1/2 stick of butter,
4 packets of "Nutra Sweet" based artificial sweetener,
and couple healthy shakes of ground cinnamon out of the spice jar.
Melted it together, stirred, and then tossed in the freezer for just a few minutes to firm it up and make it into a spreadable mixture. Clearly you can adjust these quantities to your tastes.

I have to say, it was AWESOME.

While the sweet potato probably had 80 carbs, the cinnamon/butter/fake sugar did not add any and tasted GREAT. It took much of the "guilt" out of the guilty pleasure that the meal was supposed to provide. Yes, she had to inject a good sized dose of insulin to offset the sweet potato but still, I think she came up with a new family favorite in the cinnamon/butter/fake sugar spread and it will very likely find its way onto toast and toasted bagels too.

BamsBBQ

sounds great...

if you take that sweet potatoe, throw it into the oven...bake it slowly until the potato starts seeping and caramalizing..oh my sweet sweet and no need to add even sugar substitute

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
There are Brown Sugar substitutes that we have used for baking. You can also try using 1 cup of Splenda with ¼ cup of sugar free maple syrup.

BamsBBQ

we use alot of splenda brown sugar in our house...along with this

Spr_Tre_Sugar_Free.jpg