• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vista Crap Crap Crap

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I bought my daughter a laptop last August for college. We have had nothing but problems with it hooking up to the school's system. When we first got it I was somewhat impressed on how it worked and how fast it was. Since the school has had it in their hands trying to get it to work with their system it now is slower than molasses in January. This weekend I decided to do some work on it to figure out why it is so slow now. The security shit on it is just that SHIT. I put a little utility on it so I can do a virus scan and it won't let me even run the program because it I am not evidently putting in the right password. That computer only has two passwords in it and either one don't work. There is many other things I don't like about it and if I had more time while she is home I would take Vista off and put XP on. I will be ready during Christmas to make the change though. The commercial on TV about the MAC and Vista is correct, many are going back to XP and I am one.

murph

Sir Knight

If you think Vista is crap, wait until you try Office 2007 ... they completely re-designed the menu -- no more "File", "Edit", etc. All of those commands have been renamed and moved around all over the place ... you have to re-learn how to do the simpliest of things.

Cityboy

Banned
Sorry you're having problems with Vista. I've had it on my new PC since May with zero problems.

SK is right about Office 2007. I ran a trial and every little simple task is different. MS claims it simpler? Bullshit! If it's harder for me to navigate, it ain't simpler. More stuff I have to spend time to learn how to use (or re-learn to re-use) I'd rather be using the time doing other things. :pat:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
When we first got it I was somewhat impressed on how it worked and how fast it was. Since the school has had it in their hands trying to get it to work with their system it now is slower than molasses in January.

So when it was nice and new it worked great. You gave it to some school hacks and they screwed it up and now it is Microsoft's fault?

Go buy a new Mac and then send it to me, I'll turn it into a slow as mollasses POS so you can bitch about Apple.

:pat:

Sorry, Murph - it ain't Vista's fault. Office 2007 is different. I'm never a fan of radical UI changes (I still like Mac OS 9's UI the best) but it's a damned if you do , damned if you don't scenario these days. If Microsoft doesn't try to "innovate" their UI then Apple and the mainstream tech media will crucify them for being boring.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vista has not caught on as expected, and many are returning to XP. I'd do the same thing you are considering Murph. Get rid of all traces of Vista which will mean formating the entire drive. Then do a fresh install of XP. Hopefully the schools networking & security stuff will work better with XP.

It's a real headache trying to help with computer issues when the son or daughter is away at school. I went through that with my daughter a few years back. She had to tote her compter back and forth a number of times.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry, Murph - it ain't Vista's fault.

Well I am going to disagree with you. Why is it when you start up and XP system everything is pretty much automatic? When you hook it to an intranet or workgroup everything is there and pretty much works right away. Why is it when you sit down and find a wireless network it just works?

With Vista this is not true. Nothing has been automatic for anything including hooking up to our own wireless network at home. And when you do get it to work one place then at another place it no longer works. Nothing is automatic and after having 3 months now she still can not get it to play something as simple as a DVD. After hours of being on the phone with HP and Microsoft they have found that Vista does not have the right codes (?) or what ever to play a DVD. Microsoft says fix will be in the first SP.

As for the school hackers, yeah someone had to make it work as she had to access the schools network either via cable or by wireless somehow; thus you have people in there messing with it to make it work. If it would have worked automatically like it said it was going to we wouldn't be discussing this.

No I am not happy with Vista and I think Microsoft brought it out long before it was ready to come out. I will change back to XP when she comes home at Christmas time and then no one will hear me complain. :yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Vista has not caught on as expected, and many are returning to XP. I'd do the same thing you are considering Murph. Get rid of all traces of Vista which will mean formating the entire drive. Then do a fresh install of XP. Hopefully the schools networking & security stuff will work better with XP.

It's a real headache trying to help with computer issues when the son or daughter is away at school. I went through that with my daughter a few years back. She had to tote her compter back and forth a number of times.

My first daughter, same school with her laptop and XP, I did not get one call from her on it. She took it there and everything was automatic.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I am going to disagree with you. Why is it when you start up and XP system everything is pretty much automatic? When you hook it to an intranet or workgroup everything is there and pretty much works right away. Why is it when you sit down and find a wireless network it just works?

Why does everyone blame Microsoft when their Windows XP got hacked?

What do you want? Easy to use or Better Security? You can't have both.:pat:

You want easy to use then go with XP but don't complain when you get a virus.

You want better security go with Vista.

That being said, I suspect who ever set up the Vista computer at your daughter's school didn't know what they were doing and messed up the system. It still isn't Microsoft's fault.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why does everyone blame Microsoft when their Windows XP got hacked?

What do you want? Easy to use or Better Security? You can't have both.:pat:

I have never blamed Microsoft when my computer got a virus. I did expect that when my daughter took her new Vista Computer to school that it would have connected without any problems.

When did you start working for Microsoft?? :poke:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never blamed Microsoft when my computer got a virus. I did expect that when my daughter took her new Vista Computer to school that it would have connected without any problems.

When did you start working for Microsoft?? :poke:

Murph, I'm platform agnostic. They all have their uses. I own both Macs and PC's and run Windows 2000 - Vista, Mac OS 9- OS X 10.5, UNIX, and Linux.

I'm just telling you like it is. Read your own words. The computer worked great - you handed over to some bad hack and he broke it. It's not Microsoft's problem.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Read your own words. The computer worked great - you handed over to some bad hack and he broke it. It's not Microsoft's problem.

Yeah it did work good, but maybe I should have not made that comment because it was only in my hands for about an hour and it seemed to work ok for me. However, it was only a few days later when my daughter left our little wireless domain and no programs other than what came with the computer on it. Her first problem was she could not connect to the schools internet or workgroup. I can't blame the kids for trying to make it work as I could not help her over the phone. And now that she is home with it I can't do anything with it because of security issues. It keeps asking me to give it permission to do stuff then won't do it because evidently I don't have the right passwords? Gee I set up the passwords and only used two of them, one for the administrator and one for my daughter of which I gave her administration rights. But the administrator still should be there working..

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah it did work good, but maybe I should have not made that comment because it was only in my hands for about an hour and it seemed to work ok for me. However, it was only a few days later when my daughter left our little wireless domain and no programs other than what came with the computer on it. Her first problem was she could not connect to the schools internet or workgroup. I can't blame the kids for trying to make it work as I could not help her over the phone. And now that she is home with it I can't do anything with it because of security issues. It keeps asking me to give it permission to do stuff then won't do it because evidently I don't have the right passwords? Gee I set up the passwords and only used two of them, one for the administrator and one for my daughter of which I gave her administration rights. But the administrator still should be there working..

murph

Sounds like your daughter gave the admin password to the geek and he changed it on her. I suspect the whole system has been compromised. Probably needs to be scrubbed and set up by someone a little more skilled and ethical.

It's probably running a BitTorrent server in the background that's why it's so slow. The RIAA will be serving you with a subpoena shortly. :whistle:

richfolkes

Sir Knight said:
If you think Vista is crap, wait until you try Office 2007 ... they completely re-designed the menu -- no more "File", "Edit", etc. All of those commands have been renamed and moved around all over the place ... you have to re-learn how to do the simplest of things.

Although I am using Windows Xp, I have Office 2007 on my computer and I know where you're coming from. As an IT pro, I have to keep up with things and so I installed Office 2007. It still responds to keyboard commands such as <ALT> + F + O and <CTRL> + O and <CTRL> + S. The first two being to open a file and the third to save a file.

Also, I noticed that Office 2007 has a new format: docx and xlsx for Word and Excel files to name two. Nevertheless, it still reads Office 97-2003 files.

And as for Vista, I have had some fun connecting and sharing networks with Vista systems. I have also dealt with Vista machines running on 512 Mb of RAM and without fail recommended upgrading the machines to 2 Gig. Like you, I'm no fan of Windows Vista. And I don't think the computer shops who's machines for sale are running Vista are fans of it either. Which is why the computers the staff are using still run Xp.

And frankly, there is no life in the Vista market. Companies are still running Xp systems and you'll be lucky to find a computer in a typing pool using Vista. You'll also be lucky to find a computer in any Internet cafe using Vista.

What's more, people are buying computers with Vista, reformatting the hard drives and bunging on Windows Xp home or professional.

It's because Vista is such a load of crap that hardware manufacturers are forcing people onto it by eliminating drivers for Xp. Buy the latest HP or Dell notebook and you'll be lucky to find any Xp drivers.

'Nuff said.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I don't understand why any individual would buy Office 97 when OpenOffice serves as well. Microsoft is notorious for 'upgrades' incompatible with prior versions. This is unacceptable.

In a large organization it may be worth the cost to go $ingle $ource for uniform support organization-wide. For those of us who have a choice, XP is the only MS software I want to use.