• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BEST ALL-AROUND TRUCK

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I want to know everyone's opinion. What's the best overall truck nowdays? What do you like or don't like about your truck.(hauling capacity, fuel mileage, ride, comfort etc...) What's better? Go with a 6.0L gas engine or deisel???

I personally don't have an opinion right now as to which truck I will be getting in the future. I have a '99 GMC ext cab 4x4 right now and have no real compliants with it. I would keep it for a few more years but I plan on getting a 5th wheel camper in the next year or so and know my current truck won't pull it. I've had a dodge before and found it to be a tough durable truck but that it rode like a lumber wagon. I haven't driven the newer ones to see what they're like. I test drove a 2005 Ford crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4L v8 today and it totally changed my opinion on fords. The last one I drove was a '98 and I found that I would have needed a kidney belt, some knee pads,(I'm 6'4 and my knees kept hitting the dash) to be able to drive it for more than an hour. The one I drove today I found to be quite comfortable even though I have strong opinions against paying that kind of $$$ and only getting a park bench for a front seat. I haven't driven the full size toyota or nissan and don't really want to go down that road.

That's why I'm asking you guys what your thoughts are on trucks. What problems have you found with each make? Would you buy another one?? etc... I'm thinking either a 1/2 crew cab with the heavy duty package and the biggest motor I can get in in or a 3/4 ton.

Deerlope

I have driven Ford diesels for the last 20 years These have been 4x4 extended cabs with long beds. Presently I am in an 02 F250. I like the Ford diesels but they have a weak transmission. Where as Chevy has a super tranny but not so good of a diesel. Take a look at the Toyota's. I am going to when I trade again.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh man ! This could get ugly !!!
I like my 2006 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 crew cab . Best truck I ever owned . I was a Dodge man for years but do not like the new style . Also they sound tinny when I drove one .
I will buy another Ford . I am a petite 350 pound 6'-4 " . I love the room

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an old 1/2 ton Chevy (93). I just turned over 190k on it. When the time comes I'll be looking at Chevy gassers and I'll also check out the Toyota Tundras. I've heard good things about the Toyota, but I also heard they are over 40K. I won't pay 40k for a truck. I'll go used for sure, 2 or 3 yrs old. It won't be a primary vehicle for me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh man ! This could get ugly !!!
I like my 2006 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 crew cab . Best truck I ever owned . I was a Dodge man for years but do not like the new style . Also they sound tinny when I drove one .
I will buy another Ford . I am a petite 350 pound 6'-4 " . I love the room

I had the same thought when making this thread but also have the hopes that it won't become a pissin match and just get down to basics about what we like and don't like about the trucks we drive. This will help me and I hope others in there descision on which make to get.

Agreed about the interior room in the newer fords. Last one I sat in was a '98 and I wasn't at all impressed having my knees an inch away from the dash. I will say this though that I find my '99 Gmc with the 4.8 seems to have very comparable power to the 5.4 in the ford I drove. The ford might have a bit more torque than mine but it's one of those things that when you press on the gas, you don't feel that "push you back in your seat" feeling. I's like to try one loaded up with weight then compare but they don't tend to favor that when you show up on a dealer lot and ask to try one out.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I love the New Fords. But I also love the new Dodges (and old Dodges) cummins. The newist Ford Diesel is pretty damn nice. The ride is unbelieveable.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It will be interesting to see just how well all these new diesel engines perform. I suspect all the new particulate filters and emmissions crap will cause some headaches down the road.

After 160,000 miles my 99 F250 SD Diesel's engine is running fine but the rest of it is getting a little tired. I'm debating replacing it or getting a small van or SUV and just spending 5K on restoring/replacing the tired parts on my F250. It's kind of nice to have an "old" truck that works well. You don't worry about the mess inside or washing it - you just use it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
What ranks higher on your "best" list; ride, style, body durability, engine durability, transmission durability, interior, pulling power etc.? I have all the facts and figures to give you guaranteed proof on durability matters, but sometimes that is not the most important factor. Sometimes ride, style and comfort trump plain durability. If you really like a truck, but it has a very strong record of durability problems, there is always the option of extended warranties. On some trucks a service contract would be a complete waste. On others, it would be flat foolish to not buy one. There is a huge difference between these factors with pickups. And, to complicate matters more, the year of the truck you intend to buy plays a huge difference in it's durability as well. So, what is tops on your "best" list?

A "for example" on the year of the truck; past Duramax diesels have been average, perhaps less than average. The 2008 Duramax in a 3/4 ton 4X4 will run right even with a 2008 Dodge 4X2 with a V8 5.7 Hemi in a drag race! :eek: Ford's new 6.4 liter diesel remains an unknown on durability, but is by a large margin the slowest diesel pickup offered; the Dodge and GM diesels flat run off and hide from the Ford 6.4. The new 6.7 Dodge really isn't any faster than the previous year's 5.9; that has been basically the same since 1994. On gas offerings, the Toyota and Nissan are the stongest followed by the 6.0 liter GM then the 5.7 liter Dodge and lastly the 5.4 liter Ford. However, although by far the slowest in both gas and diesel, Ford seems to rate highest in ride and comfort as well as styling. Everything clear? :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking either a 1/2 crew cab with the heavy duty package and the biggest motor I can get in in or a 3/4 ton.
If you plan on hooking it to a 5th wheel, I'd go with the 3/4 ton.

I don't recall the specifics but do remember something about one of the models/brands of trucks had an issue with a 5th wheel trailer. I believe it was something about the bed sides being too tall and clipping the trailer when cornering. Anyone have any details on this?

I have an '05 GMC Crew Cab. In general, I like it. I have a gasser and my mileage goes down the tubes when hauling relatively heavy loads. I do have a lot of hills around here which doesn't help but when I tow 5K# or more, my mileage gets cut in about half.

cj7

oh my the ol truck debate..

Well I would say go with a 3/4 ton for pulling the fifthwheel camper. The diesel will pull all day long for you. So you have to decide what kind of miles you plan on putting on it to compare to a gas motor. The newer Ford and Dodge tranny are better than the used to be. The Allison can still have problems too. Air bags might be nice too. I went to a heavier spring pack and sacraficed some ride quality when empty.

I am driving an '01 F350 Crew Cab 8' bed, 7.3L Auto, 4x4. It is a very long truck..lol but it hauls very nicely when coupled to my goosneck car hauler.

The goosneck issue is with the short bed truck you have to be carefull when cutting sharpe turns as some trailers can come in contact with the cab. That is what I was told by a few folks when I shopped last.

I have noticed that I have more headroom in the rear seating area the the Gm and Dodges.

I always say drive whatever you feel most comfortable with. All of them have pros and cons. Its your money.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a Ford 350 1 ton dually for a couple of years. It had the crew cab and a 8 foot bed. Talk about LONG!!! :eek:
I really enjoyed the truck. I got it used just to see what a diesel was like to tow with. It was a joy. I did find that duallys without 4 wheel drive do not do so great in the snow. :eek:
I mainly wanted to mention the usefulness of the crew cab. Boy it was nice to be able to fit 6 adults in it nicely. That truck was used for hauling people as much as it was for towing my trailers. Very cool truck overall.
While I prefer Chevy, I have to admit, if I was shopping for another diesel I would be looking at the big 3. Like I said before I would be buying used, so it would all depend on what is available at the time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My Dad has a 2005 GMC 3/4 ton 6.6L turbo deisel he uses to haul his 5th wheel with. I really like his truck. There is only one problem. Canadian prices on trucks are outrageous. He paid pretty much the same for his truck as I did for my house. That's why I'm considering buying used so I can get the price down a bit. My bro has a suburban with the 5.3L. He's got a 35ft camper and has made a few trips with it. Before, he had a chev 4x4 with 6.0L gas and he claims that his new truck has more torque and pulls just as good as his old one. Apparently in just 3-4yrs, GM has improved the 5.3 so much that it performs just as good as the older 6.0L. Any opinions??? Experience???

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently in just 3-4yrs, GM has improved the 5.3 so much that it performs just as good as the older 6.0L. Any opinions??? Experience???
Can you get a GMC 3/4 ton with a 5.3? I thought the 6.0 was their minimum.

I like the 5.3. It gives good mileage for day-to-day driving but does have the power for towing moderate (5-6000#) loads when needed. When towing, it doesn't like hills much and likes to spend its time in the higher RPM range and the mileage drops off quite a bit.

I don't know if I'd want that engine if I were doing long trips with a 5th-wheel in tow and really sure I'd want something bigger if I was going to be encountering mountains or going more than a few hundred miles.

Also consider the gearing. 3.73 or 4.10? I guess it depends on your primary driving use for the truck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not completely metric wise yet ... :hide:

I know a 7.4 is a 454cc engine.
I think a 5.0 is a 350cc engine.
So what would a 5.3 be in cc's? :confused:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Edit:
Doc,
After re-reading your post.
A 5.0 is about a 300cid.
A 6.0 is the 350.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhh, so the 327 is back!

I was debating myself about whether 350cc was 5.0 or what.
Now I'm thinking 350cc = 5.7L

Does that sound right?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Edit:
Doc,
After re-reading your post.
A 5.0 is about a 300cid.
A 6.0 is the 350.

Guess we need to double check this. I see boats with the 5.7L on the outdrive and I'm pretty sure they are 350cc engines.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brent. I was wondering what a 501cc engine would be in liters ...now I know it's an 8.2L. Cool.
I've considered the 501cc for an engine upgrade in the Baja ....

....but back to truck talk. Sorry for the diversion guys. :hide:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Can you get a GMC 3/4 ton with a 5.3? I thought the 6.0 was their minimum.

I like the 5.3. It gives good mileage for day-to-day driving but does have the power for towing moderate (5-6000#) loads when needed. When towing, it doesn't like hills much and likes to spend its time in the higher RPM range and the mileage drops off quite a bit.

I don't know if I'd want that engine if I were doing long trips with a 5th-wheel in tow and really sure I'd want something bigger if I was going to be encountering mountains or going more than a few hundred miles.

Also consider the gearing. 3.73 or 4.10? I guess it depends on your primary driving use for the truck.

The 5.3 is only available in the 1/2 as far as I know, but I've been wrong before.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Going back to engine sizes, Isn't the 4.8L basically a 305block and the 5.3 a 350block. I think, if I recall correctly, the 6.0L is a 454block. Does this make sense?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Going back to engine sizes, Isn't the 4.8L basically a 305block and the 5.3 a 350block. I think, if I recall correctly, the 6.0L is a 454block. Does this make sense?

I am far from the expert but I believe you are at least 2/3's correct.

4.8L would use the 305cc block.
and the 327 / 5.3L uses the 350cc block.

I'm not sure where the big block comes in. I know a 400cc engine would use the same block as a 454cc / 7.4
but a 6.0L would be a 368 - 372cc engine. I've no idea if they use the big block or the good ole 350cc block.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The 262 (4.3L - the V-8, not the V-6), 283, 302, 305 (5.0L), 327, 350 (5.7) and 400 (6.6?) ci small block GM v-8's are dead. The only thing they have in common with the new GM motors are they were V-8's. This block design has been discontinued.

The 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 share a similar block. The 8.1 big block is similar to the old 7.4 (454) not the same.

The 4.8 and 5.3 are in the 1/2 tons only. 3/4 and 1-ton trucks have 6.0, 8.1 or 6.6 diesel.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
The 262 (4.3L - the V-8, not the V-6), 283, 302, 305 (5.0L), 327, 350 (5.7) and 400 (6.6?) ci small block GM v-8's are dead. The only thing they have in common with the new GM motors are they were V-8's. This block design has been discontinued.

The 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 share a similar block. The 8.1 big block is similar to the old 7.4 (454) not the same.

The 4.8 and 5.3 are in the 1/2 tons only. 3/4 and 1-ton trucks have 6.0, 8.1 or 6.6 diesel.

Correct. I have a block that is stamped 8.2 liter and it has quite a bit of difference in the boring and oil journals as well as visable structural changes (compared to a 454) for strength. Now, the 9.4.... :thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a link to a comparison test done up here in Ontario recently comparing all the different makes of trucks out there.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/truckking/winner.htm

I thought something was odd when I looked at their test results; particularly the 3/4 ton and 1 ton results. Then I noticed that this test is over a year old and is titled "2006 Canadian Truck King Challenge". All 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups have had major changes in the last year. Unless you're looking for a used pickup truck with tests based only on how they performed when those trucks were new, the tests are no longer valid.

No offense intended to anyone, but I'm constantly accused of being extremely disloyal to any particular manufacturer. Taking that into consideration, I noticed that the 3/4 and 1 ton "ratings" or "results" were way off from actual recent tests of the newest models. Even so, they had to know that Ford had already killed the 6.0 diesel due to problems when they did their testing over a year ago. It's been about a year and a half since Ford made the decision to drop the troublesome 6.0 diesel. I wonder why that article made no mention of that? Either way, current tests and comparisons in the 1/2 ton range still rank the Toyota Tundra as top in that class; which kills me because I just can't picture a "Toyota" as a full sized pickup. And, that brings me to my main point; their "King" is not a full sized truck. It is not suited or sized for many things pickup truck buyers need when opting to purchase a pickup truck. It just seems odd that their "King" is completely incapable of performing most every task I'd need a pickup to do. :confused: Oh well...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I took a new Chev crew cab 4x4 5.3L for a test drive yesterday. I like it but found the controls on for the stereo quite confusion at first. Very comfortable truck. Nice ride over bumps. Lots of power for a 5.3L. Turning radius I found was quite impressive. A funny thing happened though. I got about a block away from the dealership when I heard a clunk underneath. Never thought anything of it till I heard another clunk. When I got back to the dealership, I discovered that two out of four of the centercaps on the wheels had fallen off. The ones on the back were only held on finger tight. Thankfully it wasn't the whole tire....just a hubcab or two.:yum: