• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

THIOKOL 601 RESTORE

weatherby

derehe said:
Do you know where you can get more info on those cool snowmobile tracks. I agree that the Mat tracks seem very expensive.
I,m sorry but no I don,t. I do agree though mat-tracks are too expensive

weatherby

More pics.

Attachments

• DSC01808.JPG
    DSC01808.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,522
  • DSC01806.JPG
    DSC01806.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,508
  • DSC01793-1.JPG
    DSC01793-1.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,520

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What size 6-cylinder is that? I know you're aways away yet but what are you going to do about tires? 6.70x15 bais ply might be hard to find and I think a radial tire might have too much side flex. Solid fill the front and rear axles? Whats your thoughts?

weatherby

The motor is the stock 223 ford industrial. As far as tires go I did not think I would have a problem BUT I have not looked into trying to find some yet so I guess I really don,t know.By the sounds of it you might have and had a hard time. I just got the rims blasted & painted (primer) no color yet so I was going to just start looking into tires. What has been your success on finding tires? Also do you know anything about the track jacks used to install the tracks. Are they necessary. I do not have any do you? Can you tell me how you came about getting your 601 and pic. if you have any

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good Mornin:tiphat: ,
It sure looks like your tearing her down and going through it the right way .
I have a question ??? That thing looks heavy ... REAL HEAVY. The frame is huge ! Is it steel or alumimun? What does it weigh? Do you happen to know what the PSI ground pressure would be ?
Keep up the great work , all the efforts will be worth it soon . :applause:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl . . . my observation of snowcats is they can be divided into 2 rough groups. Those that are DEEP POWDER machines and those that are not. Based on the all terrain tracks on the Thiokol, I'd suggest that the designers were more concerened about getting around in all sorts of conditions and not making this a deep power machine.

mtncrawler . . .
I did a quick search and didn't come up with the tire size (but then I only checked a couple sources) but I would agree with you that if a radial tire is used, then it would probably be good to stiffen them up by having them foam filled.

weatherby

BigAl said:
Good Mornin:tiphat: ,
It sure looks like your tearing her down and going through it the right way .
I have a question ??? That thing looks heavy ... REAL HEAVY. The frame is huge ! Is it steel or alumimun? What does it weigh? Do you happen to know what the PSI ground pressure would be ?
Keep up the great work , all the efforts will be worth it soon . :applause:
Good afternoon AL. I can only hope that I can put the excellent workmanship in my THIOKOL that you put into your KRISTY very very nice:a1: Well AL your rite when you say that thing looks REAL HEAVY because it is. Shipped weight 5450lb. G.V.W.7480lb. When moving it around you have to be careful not to let it bump into anything it takes some effort to stop it before it dose some damage . The frame is all steel the cab is all sheet aluminum. I have been unable to find the ground pressure that thing creates. Also I,am trying to find these track jacks used to install the tracks. You could probably use a couple of come alongs but not sure yet.

Attachments

• track jack.jpg
    track jack.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,392

weatherby

B_Skurka said:
BigAl . . . my observation of snowcats is they can be divided into 2 rough groups. Those that are DEEP POWDER machines and those that are not. Based on the all terrain tracks on the Thiokol, I'd suggest that the designers were more concerened about getting around in all sorts of conditions and not making this a deep power machine.

mtncrawler . . .
I did a quick search and didn't come up with the tire size (but then I only checked a couple sources) but I would agree with you that if a radial tire is used, then it would probably be good to stiffen them up by having them foam filled.
Hi SKURKA. Thats a very true statement. This unit was intended for all sorts of terrain not just snow. The THIOKOL CORP. calls it a Off-Highway Vehicle. I started checking around on tires after MTNCRALLER brought up the tires. I now think it will not be much of a problem. A lot of the older Corvettes back in the 50s used the same size tire which are still being made for people that restore those cars and the like. COKER tire is just one of several CO. that supply that size

weatherby

I been working on the transmission. I removed the DRIVE LINE BRAKE assembly's and the speedo assembly. Checking for any problems, replacing gaskets & seals, bead blasting, then primering all parts. I,am using a two part primer from IMRON. I,m going to start going through the trans next along with removing the axles from the frame for sand blasting

Attachments

• DSC01810-1.JPG
    DSC01810-1.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • DSC01813-1.JPG
    DSC01813-1.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • DSC01819-1.JPG
    DSC01819-1.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,336

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got this one from a rancher who bought it at a Forest Service auction. He never took on the project and lost interest in it. The story I was told is it was used to pull a grooming drag up on the Flattops, western Colorado. It was retrofitted with P.T.O. hydraulic pump and gooseneck hitch for this purpose. I wish I new some more history on it. As I said in an earlier post it has the 300 C.I. Ford inline and no passenger roof hatch which would indicate the civilian version but under the orange paint it is Air Force blue. Maybe they all came off the assembly line painted blue. Haven't started working on this one yet so I've not yet looked for tires. I did change out my A-Model tires a few years ago (450x12) and they must have been on the shelf for awhile because they all dry cracked after only a couple of seasons. Hopefully the 670x15 tires are still in new production.

Attachments

• B100_0082.jpg
    B100_0082.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,327

weatherby

Just thought you might enjoy these they say they are 1963 603s. notice the head light guards on the one & not the other and both are non-military units but can,t tell what color they are. I,m going to try & find out though

Attachments

• 2-603.jpg
    2-603.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 603.jpg
    603.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,383

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since nobody else asked, and since I know I'm not the only one who doesn't know . . . in that first photo, what is the thing mounted on top of the snowcat?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Since nobody else asked, and since I know I'm not the only one who doesn't know . . . in that first photo, what is the thing mounted on top of the snowcat?

It looks like a rock drill to me , but they are usually ran off air and it takes a big compressor . I wonder if it just towed the compressor behind it ??? The motor on the rear does not look big enough . Maybe .........

weatherby

B_Skurka said:
Yes BIG AL is rite that is some type of drill. I should of add this pic. also to help explain:pat:

Attachments

• 603 drill.jpg
    603 drill.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,338

bkvail

This is a very interesting thread. What year is this Thiokol? My husband's is a '61 Trackmaster.... http://www.geocities.com/snow_toaster is the website where we have pics - and the body looks exactly the same (and ours had remnants of that blue paint underneath), but the chassis looks SO different the way the suspension is. The tracks are also very different, although I don't know if the one on ours is like original or not. Those ones you have look like they would be WAY easier to fabricate than what is on ours!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
It looks like a rock drill to me , but they are usually ran off air and it takes a big compressor . I wonder if it just towed the compressor behind it ??? The motor on the rear does not look big enough . Maybe .........

What about a hydraulic pump to run the drill?

Jim

weatherby

I just finished going through the trans. every thing looked normal (for a trans with miles on it) Notice the teeth on first gear (the biggest gear) they are ground back a bit on the left side of the teeth. this is what happens when you hear that grinding noise when putting it in first gear to fast after pushing the clutch in and not giving the trans. time to stop rotating. Though this will not effect the performance of the trans. it will contaminate the gear oil with all that metal it ground off of those teeth

Attachments

• DSC01829-1.JPG
    DSC01829-1.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 1,340
  • DSC01831-1.JPG
    DSC01831-1.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,328
  • DSC01833-1.JPG
    DSC01833-1.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,328

Skelly

Wow! This forum is exactly what I have been looking for! I began restoration on a 61' Thiokol Trackmaster last spring and have been looking all over for anybody else that has done it or doing it. What's more, is that I live in the UP and it blows my mind that there is someone else up here working on the same model snowcat as I am. It really is a SMALL world! Anyways, I look forward to watching the progress on your cat Weatherby and everyone else. I will try to post some pictures of my project soon!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good morning Skelly. Thanks for joining us here at the Snowcat area at the ForumsForums.

You said it is a small world well believe me when I started messing about with my little Aktiv Snow Trac I had no idea how many people I would find who had similar interests. But we have a couple hundred people here who visit regularly just to read and/or contribute to the Snowcat area.

We seem to be gaining a lot of folks in the UP, Wisconsin and the main body of Michigan. Last summer there was some talk about a group meeting here in the mid-west. We didn't have enough members then, but I suspect that we may be able to do some sort of gathering in the '07-'08 season.

weatherby

Skelly said:
Wow! This forum is exactly what I have been looking for! I began restoration on a 61' Thiokol Trackmaster last spring and have been looking all over for anybody else that has done it or doing it. What's more, is that I live in the UP and it blows my mind that there is someone else up here working on the same model snowcat as I am. It really is a SMALL world! Anyways, I look forward to watching the progress on your cat Weatherby and everyone else. I will try to post some pictures of my project soon!
Well it,s nice to hear from you. Yes I would diffently like to see pics. (along with every body else) of that 601 and everything else about it like how you came about aquiring it. If you read all my threads yuo will notice mine came from the town of Seeny which is south of Grand Marais and they got it from KI SAWYER up there by you. I hope my thread will help you. I will enjoy hearing from you.
Also BKVAIL has some very good pics. of a 1961 601 that they restored take a look

Skelly

I noticed that you said the motor in your cat was a Ford 223 Industrial. I have the original parts manual with my 601 and it says that the engine is a Ford 240 industrial. The engine in mine needs to be either rebuilt, or replaced. I've been looking for a ford "300" straight six to replace it with because the 300 and the 240 are basically the same engine. Now I'm wondering if it is a 240 or a 223. Is there any way I can know for sure?

weatherby

Skelly said:
I noticed that you said the motor in your cat was a Ford 223 Industrial. I have the original parts manual with my 601 and it says that the engine is a Ford 240 industrial. The engine in mine needs to be either rebuilt, or replaced. I've been looking for a ford "300" straight six to replace it with because the 300 and the 240 are basically the same engine. Now I'm wondering if it is a 240 or a 223. Is there any way I can know for sure?
I thought they put 223s in 1961 THIOKOL but maybe they did'nt. But a 223 or 300 are good choices. I'm sure if you ask a FORD dealer he will tell you what the correct numbers on the block should be and where to look for them at. Thats what I did to make sure I had a 223. Also rebuild kits are available for all three of those motors. If you have a hard time finding them go to RPMMACHINE.com they have them. I would also like to know where and how you found yours:thumb:

Skelly

I've been thinking about doing a rebuild. I've found complete rebuild kits on the internet for around $350, wich dosent seem bad compared to what it would cost to have it done by someone else.

My dad bought the machine from the U.P. Snow Flyers back in 1996. The Snow Flyers are a snowmobile club up here (you've probably heard of them). Anyways, I guess they used it for grooming and maintaining the trails. I'm not sure where it was before that. I would kind of guess that maybe it was used at KI sawyer as well. I can still see where the "US Air Force" tags on the doors were covered up with paint. I will try to find out more about where it has been in its life time.

My Parents own 19 forties in Rock, MI, so that's where my Dad used the snowcat for skidding logs, collecting sap (for maple syrup), and just exploring the property in the winter. I would say that it was probably used util about 2000 or 2001. The radiator started leaking, along with the water pump and I think he just got sick of flat tires, break downs etc...

So there it has sat for about the last 5 or 6 years without moving, until last year when I decided to try and get it running again. I got it running without much trouble (some new plugs and some good gas) and drove it out of the sink hole it had created over time. However, the engine knocked like crazy and the water pump was leaking coolant everywhere. That's when I decided to take it apart. My dad was all for it as he knew it never would have been touched again.

Now the cab is off the chassis, the engine is out, and every single part has been removed from the cab. I'm going to get busy with the engine soon. I've never rebuilt one, but would really like to give it a shot. I'm only 21 years old, so my experience isnt near what most ppl's is on this forum probably is, however I love doing this kind of stuff and the best part about old vehicles is the simplicity of them.

Anyways, that's my short story turned into a novel :blahblah: I'm going to try and get some pictures up soon. My dig. camera is busted right now so I'm getting it fixed.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Skelly said:
I'm only 21 years old, so my experience isnt near what most ppl's is on this forum probably is, however I love doing this kind of stuff and the best part about old vehicles is the simplicity of them.

Anyways, that's my short story turned into a novel :blahblah: I'm going to try and get some pictures up soon. My dig. camera is busted right now so I'm getting it fixed.

Welcome Sir .
There is a lot of good talent here so just jump in and ask if you need help . I was about 21 when I started my first project . That was about a hundred years ago :confused2: .It was a 1923 Ford T bucket roadster. Now I am 121 years old and wet my pants alot , but I like the warm feeling:eek: .

weatherby

I know what you mean, WE all do! We all were 21 once and we all had that same experience level but thats how I learned just by working on stuff. I was always into fast cars, snomobiles, dirt bikes, RC helicopters, 4x4 pull trucks, now a snocat and by working on all these toys is how I,ve learned what I know today . Made a lot of mistakes & broke a lot of stuff and so will you! But thats all part of the learning experience and the BEST way to learn also

weatherby

Well I removed the rear drive unit. I will look it over close clean it & repair if need be. Though It looks to be in very good condition (I hope ) there should be no repair work needed just a good cleaning inside & out

Attachments

• DSC01853-1.JPG
    DSC01853-1.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • DSC01855-1.JPG
    DSC01855-1.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DSC01859-1.JPG
    DSC01859-1.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,251

Skelly

The body on your machine looks like it's in great shape. The aluminum on mine is decent, but not perfect. There is one panel with some big gouges that I will deffinitely be replacing. It looks like maybe a tree branch or something might have punctured it and actually tore the aluminum a bit before the machine was stopped.

Anyways, there are also a lot of old holes where things may have been mounted with hardware at one time, but are not anymore. Any suggestions for filling those kinds of holes before priming? Would a fiberglass resin, or a metal glaze work? Also, would I need to use some kind of backing behind the holes when I'm filling them? Maybe tack a piece of aluminum to the inside of the cab and fill from the outside.:confused2:

I'm mainly concerned about the small holes in the roof where an antenna or possibly a gun were mounted?? I dont want water dripping in once the project is complete.

I dont have any body work experience:confused: , however I'm really not worried about this thing looking flawless from the outside. I will do my best to make it look good, but I do plan to use this cat in the woods once it is finished, so I'm sure there will be new scratches and dents not too long after it's back on the trail.

Any help would be appreciated! :thumb:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've found that riveting a cover plate of aluminum over holes isn't very noticeable once the machine is painted. Use aircraft style solid rivets and aluminum sheet like road sign material. It will cut nicely with a jigsaw using metal blades. About 15 bucks will get you an air chisel at Walmart that will accept the rivet tool. Might as well get set up, you will need this stuff to replace that pannel. Pop rivets will loosen with vibration. If you're covering a crack, stop drill the ends of it before covering it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
I've found that riveting a cover plate of aluminum over holes isn't very noticeable once the machine is painted. Use aircraft style solid rivets and aluminum sheet like road sign material. It will cut nicely with a jigsaw using metal blades. About 15 bucks will get you an air chisel at Walmart that will accept the rivet tool. Might as well get set up, you will need this stuff to replace that pannel. Pop rivets will loosen with vibration. If you're covering a crack, stop drill the ends of it before covering it.

A little known fact . If you take a dozen donuts by your County Road Dept and ask , I bet you another dozen donuts that you will leave with some old Aluminum road signs that needed replacing . County workers love donuts !!!