• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Now we need rain....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Couldn't get the crops in in time due to rain. That was 3+ weeks ago. Now the lawn is turning brown, the temps are high, and the crops are beginning to suffer. 2012-13 is going to be a not so good memory. Crop prices have fallen nearly 30% too. I have been told that at about 6 ft. the dirt is dry at, and below this level. Much of the rain we had ran off as surface drainage.

I guess it is shake and bake this year.:w00t2:

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We sure have gone from mud to baked clay in a weeks time with these temps and blazing sun. Watered the garden last night so i can pull weeds as they were breaking yesterday. We dug 2 post holes last night and the ground was like powder. A few days ago it was sticky clay to stuck to the digging iron. Crazy cycle in temps and going to be hotter than hell the rest of this week.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In my return trip from CT, I noticed that from New York State thru Pennsylvannia, Ohio and Indiana, that the corn was tasseling and healthy but getting dry. Illinois was about 50% flood damaged or planted very late. It too was dry.

With Crude oil supplies swelling above consumption, i see refineries going minimum on ETOH or not at all. That will put a downward pressure on corn prices. Maybe beef will someday be reasonably priced.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Water table is still very high up here. Many places water is still running across roads from high creeks. I almost think it could not rain till Labor Day and we would be OK.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Water table is still very high up here. Many places water is still running across roads from high creeks. I almost think it could not rain till Labor Day and we would be OK.

I saw Corndoing well in New York State. Groing where i seldom saw it before. Miles of it. I would think with all te rain in the Norteast the shortfalls of the corn belt states will be mitigated.

All the rivers and lakes were up and the grass was still lush in July. I predict a good crop of just about anything from that region. About time for those folks.

franc

John Deere Addict

We've been getting some timely rains for the crops, although getting them in this spring was a slow process between the heavy rains we got.
Corn is tasseling out and beans are looking good. Wheat harvest has just begun.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well kirk you can have some of our rain we have had almost 2 weeks of rain ste=reight with only a couple of days of sun and looking like another week of rain some reason we are getting a fall weather pattern.

grizzer

"Knee high by 4th of July" only in a few places this year.

Oct corn $4.61 at the county ethanol plant. A little lower & it's time to switch the corn burner to corn from pellets this Winter.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We've had rain for the past two days. Nothing too heavy, just nice and steady. We only got an inch and a half at the house but in town the official number is 2.75". It's cloudy and cool today about in the mid 80's. That's a lot better than the high 90's we've been having.

It's half way through July and the pastures are still green. The cows are loving it. We got over 80 bales of hay on the first cutting and we're getting ready for the second. That should give us more than enough to get through the next winter.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We've had rain for the past two days. Nothing too heavy, just nice and steady. We only got an inch and a half at the house but in town the official number is 2.75". It's cloudy and cool today about in the mid 80's. That's a lot better than the high 90's we've been having.

It's half way through July and the pastures are still green. The cows are loving it. We got over 80 bales of hay on the first cutting and we're getting ready for the second. That should give us more than enough to get through the next winter.

It's about time Texas had a chance to recover. Three years of drought takes a toll.
west Texas has had it worse. I'm surpised anyone is raising cattle out there.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw Corndoing well in New York State. Groing where i seldom saw it before. Miles of it. I would think with all te rain in the Norteast the shortfalls of the corn belt states will be mitigated.

franc

The CBOT must agree with you Franc. Me I am less sure. The acerage number for corn was higher in late June than any previous, in either 2012 or 13...for this years crop, after it was obvious the as much as 2 million acers didn't get planted at all.. Why it is as if those boys at USDA are smoking something....The grain end user is hot for cheap corn, and with the USDA's help the speculators and the end users are as short the market as they have been since before 2005. At the same time s they are so heavily short they are going wild telling farmers to sell before it gets cheaper. Now I think it has bottomed out and USDA hs yet again damaged it's credibilty heavily. There is now a weather market, and corn is going up right now. And the shorts are covering there collective arses buying there way out the door, and going long as they do so...This will really play out at harvest when the western corn belt falls way behind the current USDA estimates. This is all about prying grain from famers before the surprise comes in Dec or Jan...or sooner...

JMHO, and I have a sh*t load of skin in this game....

JD addict, i know there are lots of places that look pretty good. But I also know there are huge area's that didn't get planted in northern Ia southern Minn. This is some very productive ground, as is most of Iowa, above I 80 anyway. The area affected the most is the most productive in the state. The state the usualy leads the nation in corn production.

Grizzer,

i don't think you will see it go below $4.50 for very long if it ever gets there. There is doubt that USDA knows squat again this year. There could be an up move when the pro farmer crop tour takes it's yeild estimated in August. These tours carry some weight, usually anyway...

Regards, Kirk

PS Franc buy Jan 14 corn!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The CBOT must agree with you Franc. Me I am less sure. The acerage number for corn was higher in late June than any previous, in either 2012 or 13...for this years crop, after it was obvious the as much as 2 million acers didn't get planted at all.. Why it is as if those boys at USDA are smoking something....The grain end user is hot for cheap corn, and with the USDA's help the speculators and the end users are as short the market as they have been since before 2005. At the same time s they are so heavily short they are going wild telling farmers to sell before it gets cheaper. Now I think it has bottomed out and USDA hs yet again damaged it's credibilty heavily. There is now a weather market, and corn is going up right now. And the shorts are covering there collective arses buying there way out the door, and going long as they do so...This will really play out at harvest when the western corn belt falls way behind the current USDA estimates. This is all about prying grain from famers before the surprise comes in Dec or Jan...or sooner...

JMHO, and I have a sh*t load of skin in this game....

JD addict, i know there are lots of places that look pretty good. But I also know there are huge area's that didn't get planted in northern Ia southern Minn. This is some very productive ground, as is most of Iowa, above I 80 anyway. The area affected the most is the most productive in the state. The state the usualy leads the nation in corn production.

Grizzer,

i don't think you will see it go below $4.50 for very long if it ever gets there. There is doubt that USDA knows squat again this year. There could be an up move when the pro farmer crop tour takes it's yeild estimated in August. These tours carry some weight, usually anyway...

Regards, Kirk

PS Franc buy Jan 14 corn!
Thanks for the commodities tip but I can't make use of the advice. I need every penny to meet the payrolls right now.

Besides, I need a bigger tractor with a brush hog. The red belly 9N just doesn't have the stomach for my Ozark acreage and I need to put ten acres into pasture this fall.

I found a nice Ford 1715 diesel that should do the job, but the guy is looking for $5K.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it has been over a month since I posted this, and still no rain... It's been a little over 8 weeks since the last rain. The crops on my farms have hung in there pretty good to considering. But this week it's going to be in the mid to upper 90's and I think that even those miricale trans genetic hybred corn varieties will succum to lack of water. Could have been a decent crop to, with just a couple of inches of rain at the right times. Now it is going to be a 20% loss of the gross revenues of the farm. Just take a guess where the profits are....

I guess we will take another step backwards again this year. Good thing interest rates are low, and I now hope they stay that way for some time now.

We'll survive with some thrift on our part, and 90%+ equity. I just hope now it doesn't last into and for, a third year. Some are prediciting just that.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Very sorry to hear this Kirk. I know what it is to have planted and planned only to have circumstances beyond your control ruin the cake.

hang in there buddy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc, we'll make it through this OK. This AM the CBOT has taken notice and soybeans and corn are making strong gains. It seems the markets have finally noticed what us farmers have know all season. It aint' nearly as good a situtation as they have been telling the trade. More rain is needed, and this crop is far from in the bin....

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are dry right now and need the rain that is coming today. It will help bring my pasture back hopefully. I am feeding hay every day and they are eating it. Corn around here looks good but could stand some rain to help fill ears.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I will make your day got out to take the kids camping this weekend but it's raining again this week

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Most all the rain earlier missed us. Right now we are getting a good rain. Hope it keeps it up for a while.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my area of the state got "upgraded" from moderate drought to "extreme drought" today...This week has pretty much scorched the corn on corn fields, with the soy/corn rotation fields taking it on the chin hard as well, but still better than C/C. Beans are dead on the lightly soiled hill tops. Cornis dead clear to the top on light soils. I have never seen this much damage done to a crop that is this far behind.

I still have two CBOT long soy contracts. Damn glad I do... wish I had more. Less sure about the corn crop. I gotta a feeling the rat is in the wood pile some were and they aren't going to find him. Lies will be told enough they become the truth... This crop is still huge in many eyes. We shall see when the high 90's are done early next week. Weekly crop condition comes out Tuesday, and CBOT is closed Monday. Could be fireworks, after the report Tuesday in both corn and soy pits....

Regards, Kirk