• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurricane Sandy

Kane

Way too many Parishes and Wards of New Orleans were totally pillaged after Katrina, with instances of extreme violence. To my knowledge, there are no reports of looting or conflict along the Jersey Coast, Manhattan or Long Island, regardless of threats conspired on Twitter. It makes one wonder ...

hmmmm

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The temp has dropped dramatically in the past 3 hours. Down to 34 now and they have snow in the forecast off and on for the next 3 days.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Went yesterday to help change out a fueloil tank.. 32*-45* with the wind about the same speed..wind chill was 22* i think..This place was Haunted..old farm house.lol..Three old tanks on a concrete block saddle that had to be removed by hand...6ft. in the air...new tank didn't show up yesterday..so had to go back today..still cold as hell..with wind close to 50mph..couple in the house was in there 80s ..and been there forever..but there fired now...

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my normal ride of 1/2 hour to work took an hour and 1/2 because of closed roads trees down the Eastgreenville and Pennsburgh both have no power our plant is fed by the high tension lines and still has power :sad: so that means work go's on.
At home we didn't loose power some water in the sump pump hole not enough to kick pump on though.

here is a link to some sandy pictures

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-after-landfall/100396/

be safe all

tom

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dodged a bullet up here as well. Highest recorded wind gust on my property was only 41 MPH. I record worse than that during a summer T-storm. Less than an inch of rain, but I did set a new record with the lowest barometric pressure in the short time I've been recording that. 29.22 inches. Barometer is back on the rise now.

TR,

Interstingly the cold front came through Iowa with a near tie for deepest low here @ 28.70 inches. The record low preasure since I have kept rack is 28.55 inces in March of 2009. We had a three day snow storm with that one...Wind speeds here with this latest mega low were in the 40-50 MPH range.

Boring here. We get the same every day, till that hurricane gets rolling out of the way....

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The winds have calmed down to hovering around the 18-20 mph mark.
Looks like she's moved southeast, but still swirling around.
The ground is soaked, I had dead leaves all over my car this morning and the skirting had blown off my house on the north side.
A neighbour came over and tucked it back in for me.
Taking Gretchen out to potty is taxing because her shortie legs sink down in the grass and she doesn't like cold.
I've been warming a towel in the dryer to wrap her in after.
:smile:
2012-10-30 23-16-36.901.jpg

2012-10-30 23-17-08.199.jpg

Last edited:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I am confused...

why is sandy being spoke of in a way that it was worse than Katrina???

Katrina facts....

Fatalities 1,833 confirmed
Damage $108 billion (2005 USD)
(Costliest hurricane in US history
Areas affected Bahamas, South Florida, Cuba, Louisiana (especially Greater New Orleans), Mississippi, Alabama, Florida Panhandle, most of eastern North America

are the media hyping Sandy or are memories of Katrina forgotten....maybe i am missing something.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I am confused...

Katrina facts....

Fatalities 1,833 confirmed
Damage $108 billion (2005 USD)
(Costliest hurricane in US history
Areas affected Bahamas, South Florida, Cuba, Louisiana (especially Greater New Orleans), Mississippi, Alabama, Florida Panhandle, most of eastern North America

are the media hyping Sandy or are memories of Katrina forgotten....maybe i am missing something.
I could be wrong, but from my understanding Katrina was more about the dikes failing then actual hurricane damage. :mellow:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fatalities were worse in Katrina. Lots of reasons for that one.

Damage costs for Sandy haven't been determined yet.

Areas affected started the same (Bahamas, S. FL, Cuba) but when Sandy came onshore in New Jersey, it's hitting a very densely populated area of the USA. New York City alone is over 20 times the size of New Orleans in terms of population.

Kane

I am confused...

Katrina laid waste to a bunch of poor folks in the South. Sandy clobbered the liberal elite, smack dab in the home of the liberal media complex.

And you ask why all the hype?