• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurricane Sandy

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is heading up the east coast and will most likely turn left somewhere. So far, they're not sure where yet.

Be careful out there. Check your flashlights, gensets... Don't forget to clean the leaves out of your gutters.

If you haven't already done so, get out your winter gear and clothes.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Going out to run my generator for a while. One good thing is most all the leaves are off up here. Should be less tree damage. They are only calling for 39 for a daytime high Monday so if it stays rain it will be a cold rain.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Last path I saw showed heavy snow(12"+) in WV and spreading north over you and Zoom. It is all in whether the cold dives in under the moisture from the south. So far they are still saying all rain up here, but I remember last Halloween.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Last path I saw showed heavy snow(12"+) in WV and spreading north over you and Zoom. It is all in whether the cold dives in under the moisture from the south. So far they are still saying all rain up here, but I remember last Halloween.

Bill, where are you getting that forecast from ? I last heard it would be mostly a rain event here . Wet snow ,and trees that still have leaves is not a good thing when You add high winds .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard the Democrats are suing the National Weather Service for sending a hurricane up the east coast during the early voting period. :whistling:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard the Democrats are suing the National Weather Service for sending a hurricane up the east coast during the early voting period. :whistling:

It's been dropped as the hurricane has agreed to make a hard left turn in solidarity with the DNC ,and MSM . I'm not Barack Obama , but He approves of this message .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill, where are you getting that forecast from ? I last heard it would be mostly a rain event here . Wet snow ,and trees that still have leaves is not a good thing when You add high winds .
That was on the weather channel right before noon. I think the snow out west will be coming in ahead of this one.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Predicting more wind than rain up here for the present time. Watching this one real close. Don't need another friggin Irene that's for sure.

I picked up another generator yesterday as a backup.

Kane

If Sandy goes a bit south of NYC, it's gonna' be a mess in Manhattan. Will it be an excuse for Obama to declare marshall law and postpone the election?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was just watching TWC and the current forecast has W. PA getting 6" of rain. I'm going to go out and clean the ground drains (already did the gutters) and fire up the gensets.

Snow should be to our South. WV and maybe Washington county in PA.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang, the winds and rains are supposed to get us to. I took our houseboat out of the water last weekend, thank goodness but the boat club has Nov 3rd scheduled for dock removal day. Lots of docks to take out. We could handle the rain here but if yous guys in PA get 6 inches in the Pittsburgh area that will all come right down the Ohio river and will probably be affecting our water level and river current so that removing docks will be a challenge. Should be interesting to say the least.
BC, my gutters could stand a cleaning, what do ya say? Come on down. :thumb: (I'll give ya a pen.)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They are saying Virginia and WV will get hammered in the mountain areas. Jim S may need a shovel crew. The wild part is that is the area that got hit hard last year at this same time. When I got Bobcat's truck there were branches and trees down everywhere.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BC, my gutters could stand a cleaning, what do ya say? Come on down. :thumb: (I'll give ya a pen.)
A pen to clean gutters? :unsure:

I put a ladder to the roof and climb up with my backpack blower. Walk the edge of the roof and the leaf blower rips through everything in the gutters. Each building has over 100' of gutter and including getting up and down the ladder it didn't take more then 3-4 minutes per building.

Fired up 4 gensets and all ran fine. Ground drains are cleared. Now I'm taking the kids to the basement to clean up their crap so I have clear paths to the electric panel and such.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

No, they're thanking Sandy for keeping Benghazi out of the news!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is supposed to dump a LOT of snow on the hills of WV. Still saying all rain up here.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I made the 400 mile round trip for generators and gas cans
tied all the porch stuff down the basement is getting cleaned just in case.

I hope Muleman gets all the trees off the road to the cabin.
We will be up in 2 weeks it will give you some time to clean it up!:w00t2:

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, you better hope they don't wash out. I know the new gasline close to here will. As for the trees I don't think it will be that bad. They keep changing our forecast temps and the snow is now off the forecast. All subject to change. Like a woman. We have an old friend for many years who's name is Sandy....May have to call her tomorrow.:whistling:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Its sure not looking good for most of you on the East coast and inland even further. :unsure: All I can say is take heed of the warnings and stay safe, our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. :flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Latest path shows the center of the storm coming right over us. And now the snow is back in the forecast. Good time to load the boiler and stay inside.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the wind sure has arrived. We are getting gusts over 45 mph and it is driving the rain hard against the patio doors. Leaves are flying around from the few trees that still had some. The real heavy rain is still a few hours away.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
went to 'da bar & we spent quite a few chit-chatting over this weather. the storm- it's closin' in soon, here. i'm so shivery, & the leaves cannot decide whether to gather 'er gutter.
they're prepped, there. i've food, drinks, litter, t.p., soaps, & quite a few gallons of h2o. gettin' my phones prepped, then usin' them as i see fit.
they postponed trick-'er-treat until nov. 3rd.

glad i know of the sorta-hidden tunnels here-
pathways from 1 section to the other. if very many places stay open, i'll have a path to 'em. i dread the thought of loss of utilities. i'm pourin' gallons of h20 fer tig/babbit. other than that, my segement of 'da city tends to be on weather ails, now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I drove all the way to Connecticut and did not bring a generator.

Got here Saturday and found that not one exist for sale within 200 miles. Worse, I found that my son does not have one. We are on the list for one coming in to two different Sears stores but now, that delivery seems unlikely.

I have a complete home backup 5500 watt system, pre-wired sub panel and interruption switch ready to install, back in St Louis but noooooo! We had to bring the big Brush cutter to clear some land for the kids. Like i'm gonna work outside in this crap.:yum:

Way to go Franc:bonk:

Last edited:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you guys from the northern states don't know how to deal with a hurricane if you waited to now to prepare. Good luck for those in the path as I'm sure this will be a nasty storm to say the least.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, you better hope they don't wash out. I know the new gasline close to here will. As for the trees I don't think it will be that bad. They keep changing our forecast temps and the snow is now off the forecast. All subject to change. Like a woman. We have an old friend for many years who's name is Sandy....May have to call her tomorrow.:whistling:

At least the road up from 287 will be good it is a super highway (paved all the way to the top) compared to the dirt road before the gas guys got here then trek across the top to my place.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you guys from the northern states don't know how to deal with a hurricane if you waited to now to prepare. Good luck for those in the path as I'm sure this will be a nasty storm to say the least.
You're either prepared for "things" or your not. We get about as many hurricanes in Pittsburgh as you get in Lexington. As already mentioned, all I had to do was check the gutters and drains for blockage from leaves. Whether we get 5" of rain or 5' of snow, people are either ready, or not.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I did go down and fill up the Prius...:whistling: That is about all the prep I needed to do. We live in prep mode up here.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
You're either prepared for "things" or your not. We get about as many hurricanes in Pittsburgh as you get in Lexington. As already mentioned, all I had to do was check the gutters and drains for blockage from leaves. Whether we get 5" of rain or 5' of snow, people are either ready, or not.

Yes bczoom but then I've lived in Lexington for only 10 years with most of my life in South Florida where I was born, raised and family grew up. There hurricanes are a way of life as they only have two seasons summer and hurricane. A little more to being prepared though when it comes to power, food water etc for a few weeks possibly and perhaps longer in a large city like Pittsburgh or New York for example. Keep in mind you probably can't run to the corner store to by food or gas with no power.