• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

102 today...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And it hasn't raind here since early May. The corn crop is really taking a beating here now, as it has in the eastern corn belt. There is no escaping this drought. It gets bigger and more severe each day. It's been 50+ years since we've experianced this heavy of crop losses. I hope it won't be too much of a burden for the rest of the country. Timing of this drought is not the best we could have hoped for....When we find ourselves on our collective back sides...:ermm:

I just want everyone here to know ther are ramifications to this that will make themselves clear in several more months. We will talking about this weather event for years to come.:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have a secondary source of water that you pump down (or up) to the crops?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, it isn't normally required here, as normally we get adiquate rainfall. There is some center pivot systems in Iowa but you really have to hunt for them.....

Nebraska on the other hand is almost all irrigated corn...

I suppose afeter this year, there may be some more irrigation added in Iowa. I know a guy who is hauling semi loads of water for portable "big gun" systems to three major seed companies right now. It is their foundation seed plots, the future stock of the seed company. Even they do not normally irrigate even those here in central Iowa. It is costing them a fortune to do this. But hey, without foundation seed there will be none to buy in fallowing years.....

Regards, Kirk

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
107 here in St Louis.

Bottom land corn along the Missouri river is mostly dead now. They are just brushhogging it down.

You might get some rain tonite or tomorrow but I fear it is too late.
Brazil gets a boost for their Ethanol exports and maybe we can stop poisoning our selves with fructose for a year. Perhaps longer once folks taste their Coke made with sugar again.

I honestly feel bad for your situation 300H&H. It would not have mattered what you had planted this year. The disaster would have been the same..

grizzer

I'm North of the drought zone but still damn hot (in the 90's here)

Farmers here view the center pivot irrigation system as a hedge against next years income. Water is usually not a problem as the water table starts at 30' but getting 480v 3p power is a big deal.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Iowa soils in my part of the state do not need irrigation.....Only the poorer quality ground here tends to get center pivots. Our deep black high organic matter soils are some of the best in the world at holding alot of water in the top 5' of the soil profile. The center pivot near me, has set idle for the past 5 years, and in it's life span of 30 years has only really come into play three times in all those years. And at $1K+ for the electricity to put on 1/4" of water (1 turn of the pivot) You had better hope for some good prices to offset this. My friend hopes that 30 turns will finish the crop...If we're lucky...

Trouble is that even with these soils, at like 18 months of less than norrmal precipt, NO WINTER SNOW, and none in the past 50 days in this heat, and trouble is here. This is a once in a career type of occurance. In 88 we were not as bad as in 77...This is lots more like 77 in my local, although nationally 88 was worse..

Hell, I cann't wait till Chirstmas....( where is the "Let it snow" emotionacon anyway??)

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW,

Losses are at the 45 Billion $ mark and growing. The Companies that underwrite this are backed by the Federal Government....Get the picture?

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly,

It has been since 1988 that the Government had to help the industry out in a big way...

So I am not sure that I would call this a failure of management or anything. It's a natural disaster, much like a hurricane or flood. The difference here is mainly that it's our FOOD!

Regards, Kirk

grizzer

We had a spot drought here in '08. The natural disaster loans spread out repayment but tend to gobble up collateral - crimps flexability. The crop insurance claims are public record and can be searched by county.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly,

It has been since 1988 that the Government had to help the industry out in a big way...

So I am not sure that I would call this a failure of management or anything. It's a natural disaster, much like a hurricane or flood. The difference here is mainly that it's our FOOD!

Regards, Kirk

In 1988 we had the money, our money, to do it.
Things are different now.

Gubmit will offer help but at a price. I just worry that the catastrophe will be eploited in ways most folks would never have imagined.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rain here tonight like you posted Franc...

But it was only 1/2" but we'll take anything we can get. Hope for more...

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting tired of being woke up for lots of thunder and damn little rain. What we got last week evaporated already and we are right back to dusty dry powder. Sure wish what keeps missing us decides to hit here.:hammer:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe in the next couple of days you'll get a little more than you have been. We're soo short of moister right now it would take 2 weeks of rain every other day, of at leaste and inch...I hope we get some record snowfall this winter. We need anything at this point to replace water for next years crop.

Regards, Kirk