• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Santa Ana Winds

Leni

Starting this morning we have a high wind advisory until 8:00 PM tomorrow. That means red flag conditions. People living in the hills cannot park on the street just in case fire engines need to go there. Fire equipment and personnel are stationed in high danger areas. Winds have been clocked up to 60 MPH just north of me.

A lot of my plants will be blown over and that's where they are going to stay until this is over. It's stay in the house for this asthmatic lady.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck. Stay safe. Wish I could trade our cold and snow for your views and winds. I'd do it in a split second. :D

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I worked for 34 years in So Cal as a firefighter. When I first started as a firefighter, the fire season ran from June to Oct/Nov. With the lengthly drought and weather change the fire season now runs 12 months in So Cal. Hug a firefighter!

Leni

I remember climbing on top of the house during the fire that started off as three seperate fires that merged into one and went all the way to the ocean. I can't remember the name of it but maybe you do deand1. It's something to the Sea. The San Fernando Valley was completely surrounded by fire.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Leni, what year? I was on several that went to the great western firebreak (Pacific Ocean). I can remember one where the dried kelp on the high tide level was burning.

Leni

It burned a lot of homes in Malibu including the Bowman African Violet business. He lost everything including new violets that he was developing.

They evacuated horses to the beach. The tradgey is that one of the stallions reared and lost his footing, landing on a metal stake. They had to put him down.

I don't remember the year but it is probably in the 70's or 80's.

And thank God for the Great Western Firebreak.

Leni

Well the fires are starting. Had one a few days ago, small near the freeway and now another. Winds are blowing but not that bad so far.

Leni

Not a problem. I'm in the flatlands ie the Valley floor. The fires are in the hills or mountains far away from me although we've had a few along the freeways. Those were in the passes or wilderness area in the Valley.

We've got a big one burning in the Inland Empire in a river bed. The trees and brush are dead and it hasn't burned there in 30 years. Dead leaves are up to the fire fighters waist in some areas.