• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cell phone while driving

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW - this week is road trip. I have to drive to Toledo today, then to Auburn Hills Tuesday afternoon, then back home Thursday evening.

I'll be using my S4 alot.

By most everybody's theory here, I won't make it.
We'll see.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW - this week is road trip. I have to drive to Toledo today, then to Auburn Hills Tuesday afternoon, then back home Thursday evening.

I'll be using my S4 alot.

By most everybody's theory here, I won't make it.
We'll see.

The theory that God watches over idiots and fools has been debbunked, disproven.:whistling:

You travel at your own risk my friend.:yum::yum::yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I made it to Toledo. No accidents. On the phone at least half the time.
200 miles

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I made it to Toledo. No accidents. On the phone at least half the time.
200 miles

It may well be because you had a cell in your ear. See my post 97

This little known henome may account for why I did not have an accident this morning when the load left the flatbed trailer in front of me while doing 60 MPH. Despite the momentary lapse as the phone was dropped to the floor, my brain made the proper priority decisions. I managed to avoid all the lumber flying off and accross the highway.

I'm saying it was 'cause my brain was "brigther' because my cell was in my ear.:yum:

Last edited:

S Young

I am sure I am going to get slammed for this but I agree with limiting cell phone use while driving. In Ontario You can use your phone hands free "with a Bluetooth". There are enough distractions when driving trying to type a message to somebody while driving down the road a 65mph is suicidal, but I see it done quite often. I have been hit on the 401 at 60 mph by a woman texting on her phone. I slowed to 20 mph for a traffic jam, and she ran into the back of me at 60 (a witness told the cop she didn't touch her brakes). Her cell phone was active when I got to the car to see if she was OK. I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4, she drove a Honda Civic. If the vehicles had been reversed I'm not sure I would be here to type this. I do agree that some people can handle the distractions better than others, some people prioritize better than others, some people handle stress better than others. We have to start somewhere, DUI drivers don't just hit and kill other drunks, they don't discriminate. That is why there are set laws saying how much you can drink before you get behind the wheel. Distracted, cell phone using, texting, bad drivers don't travel in packs, taking aim at one another. If your on the interstate, look at the car next to you. Let's hope the person driving is watching the road and not the response from the last text.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I am sure I am going to get slammed for this but I agree with limiting cell phone use while driving. In Ontario You can use your phone hands free "with a Bluetooth". There are enough distractions when driving trying to type a message to somebody while driving down the road a 65mph is suicidal, but I see it done quite often. I have been hit on the 401 at 60 mph by a woman texting on her phone. I slowed to 20 mph for a traffic jam, and she ran into the back of me at 60 (a witness told the cop she didn't touch her brakes). Her cell phone was active when I got to the car to see if she was OK. I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4, she drove a Honda Civic. If the vehicles had been reversed I'm not sure I would be here to type this. I do agree that some people can handle the distractions better than others, some people prioritize better than others, some people handle stress better than others. We have to start somewhere, DUI drivers don't just hit and kill other drunks, they don't discriminate. That is why there are set laws saying how much you can drink before you get behind the wheel. Distracted, cell phone using, texting, bad drivers don't travel in packs, taking aim at one another. If your on the interstate, look at the car next to you. Let's hope the person driving is watching the road and not the response from the last text.

I don't think anyone here is advocating or defending texting while driving. We've been discussing talking while driving,
which seems many of us to be the same whether its with someone sitting in the passenger seat, or in a building 50 miles away.

S Young

I don't think anyone here is advocating or defending texting while driving. We've been discussing talking while driving,
which seems many of us to be the same whether its with someone sitting in the passenger seat, or in a building 50 miles away.

I don't disagree, as I mentioned in my earlier post, here we are allowed limited use with a bluetooth or other hands free device. I am fine with that. We have to start somewhere, I don't think talking is the problem, dialing, answering, etc, is. If it takes you 2 seconds to answer the phone or dial a number at 60 mph that is 180 ft between someone checking where they are going. I carry a phone for business, and will answer it while driving (with the blue tooth). I have a cell phone policy for my business when my employees are at work. I have had to let guys go because spending 45 minutes on the toilet with the cell phone was more important than feeding the family. If I were to see that guy coming up behind me will get out of the way. I don't understand what the fascination with the cell phone is.

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
I admit to answering my cell but I never dial while driving.I have always told my kids to always keep your eyes on the road and be aware of what is going on around you. I have had numerous near misses because idiots miss a stop or back out of their driveway without looking,thinking they are all alone in the world. You don't only have to be careful of your own driving you have to be careful of everyone else also.Some people can multitask, some people can't walk and chew gum. I believe the world has more of the latter.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
True. I won't dial while driving but on the rare occasion that I get a call I will check the call display and depending who it is I may or may not answer it. That is also dependant on where I am in traffic, on the highway, etc. IF I do answer it, I will immediately put it on speaker phone and get both hands back on the wheel as fast as I can.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bump. In light of some disturbing new credible information I have just been provided I feel this topic should be revisited. Seems that when I was involved in a near fatal accident in June 2015 the driver in front of me was distracted by her cell phone while driving. She looked up at the last second, saw a family of ducks crossing the road, slammed on her brakes doing 90km in front of a whole line of vehicles. For members here not familiar with my story, I was directly behind her on my motorcycle when this happened. I got the bike stopped in time but went over the windshield into her car landing in the outside lane. The vehicle behind me swerved to avoid the bike but instead ran me over. I'm pissed. Is my life less important than a text? Is it less important than a phone call?

I'm bringing this up again in hopes that this........
875d69e24470fdd215f041bdbcf00417.jpg

.........doesn't happen to anyone else.

Because someone was using their cell phone while driving whether it be talking or texting, I was almost killed. My four children almost left fatherless. My wife almost made a widow. I don't need to quote this study or that research to know it's not right. My life will never be the same again because of someone paying more attention to their cell phone than the road.

Because someone chose their cell phone over paying attention to the road, I can barely walk more than 100ft on a good day. On a bad day I struggle to make it from the living room to the kitchen. I may never be able to work again. All because of a f-cking cell phone. Yes. I'm pissed.

living the dream

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The driver of the car was 17 years old. No black marks because she never hit the brakes and she still had the cell phone in her hand when they cut what was left of her out of the car.
851402bf2dfa411245b587cc5c6b1e9a.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The driver of the car was 17 years old. No black marks because she never hit the brakes and she still had the cell phone in her hand when they cut what was left of her out of the car.
851402bf2dfa411245b587cc5c6b1e9a.jpg
One of the very reasons my son doesn't talk for days after being on the scene of something like that.