• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NO good rotten gas !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My weed eater has not been working to well lately . I think I know why . The damn clear plastic gas hose that goes into the little fuel tank just rotted off . This new gas is a bunch of crap !!!!!I guess the best thing is to dump all gas at the end of each season . I lost a good chain saw in Panama because of the same reason :doh:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
But the government put that ethanol in there for your own good! They know what is best for you and your small engines. Might try to find some marina gas without ethanol in it.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You must be living on the edge of the "Twilight Zone"....:ermm:

You got more things biting/hitting/stinging at you than a bee keeper that forgot his hood....:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You must be living on the edge of the "Twilight Zone"....:ermm:

You got more things biting/hitting/stinging at you than a bee keeper that forgot his hood....:whistling:

yep I agree ..... I think it may be a bunch of them Republicans that are doggin my ass . :whistling:
I even heard Big Dog might be leadin the pack .....

A shock collar will get him back in line :yum:

If it was not for my Dr. rums I might even give a shit ........

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, this gas sucks (sorry H&H)! It is just another way we are getting screwed by our corrupt government.

I use this stuff in all my small engines and try to run them all dry before long term storage:

510mDr3i-0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Unfortunately gas stabilizers won't remove the ethanol, which is what it dissolving your rubber/composite parts. It will keep the garbage-gas from varnishing right away, though.

Best trick is to either drain or replace with non-ethanol gas for storage. As I wrote elsewhere, I prefer aviation gasoline. It is much better quality and will not degrade for many years. I've seen 20 year old 100LL still run fine.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The marine Sta-bil iis supposed to protect against ethanol damage- it's blue in color.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
From their FAQ:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#5

Q: How does MARINE Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment and Performance Improver work, and how is it different from Regular STA-BIL?
A: MARINE Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is a new, enhanced formula of STA-BIL, America's top selling fuel stabilizer, that was designed to fight many of the unique problems related to ethanol in gasoline in the moisture-laden marine environment, and fights those problems in three ways:

1. Fights Fuel System Deposits – Ethanol in gasoline acts as a solvent on the accumulated deposits in marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors, injectors. These loosened deposits can cause engine performance problems, including hard starting, rough running and stalling. MARINE Formula STA-BIL cleans-up power-robbing deposits from carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves to improve engine performance. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner in Regular STA-BIL – it is a Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
  2. Fights Fuel System Corrosion – Ethanol in gasoline attracts water from the moist marine air. Since virtually all marine fuel systems manufactured through 2007 vent to the air, the ethanol continually attracts water – which can cause corrosion damage to marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors and injectors. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventer in Regular STA-BIL, to fight the unique problems of ethanol in gasoline in the marine environment, including marine fuel tanks which vent to the marine air.
  3. Fights Fuel Degradation – Pumped gasoline starts to degrade immediately. MARINE Formula STA-BIL keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months in marine gas tanks. Just like Regular STA-BIL, adding MARINE Formula STA-BIL Keeps Fuel Fresh , and eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage.

I don't know if it "really" works but since I already use Sta-bil in my small engine gas, I just buy this stuff instead and hope that it helps.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Looks like it will help with the water-corrosion issues of the water dissolved in the ethanol, but won't do anything for the normal corrosive-solvent properties of ethanol which is where the problems are in other applications.

Looks like a reasonable product. (I use the regular Sta-Bil too.)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Question. I have a 550 gal bulk fuel tank with relatively new gas (maybe 3-4 months old). I also have some other gas (about 100 gallons) that's over a year old. Both are about to get a dose of the StaBil discussed. The bulk tank with the newer gas will get the marine grade, the old gas will be getting regular Stabil.

The old gas will go in the truck only (no small engines) and will get used up as quickly as I can burn through it. The new gas will be used as needed in vehicles as well as small engines but will probably last into next year.

Because of a grocery shopping deal in our area (buy food, get discounted fuel), I buy this gas and bring it home in 5-gallon containers. I normally get their highest octane.

Where's the best place for me to use the new fuel? Add it to the old gas to freshen it up a bit or add it to the newer bulk fuel tank?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would add it to the old to make up for evaporation in it. The best you can do with any tank that does not have a lot of use is to keep it as full as possible. Do you have bottom drains on the tanks to drain water off?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bill.

The 550 gallon has a bottom drain. The 100 gallons of old gas are in 55 gallon drums (no bottom drain).

I run the old gas through a Mr Funnel to separate the water.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you stabil the old gas in 55'rs? was the lid sealed? should not have much water in it if it was?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Moisture cannot pass through the barrel. the only moisture that could be in it if sealed is what little air gap was in barrel. or moisture already in fuel. it will not get more water in it if it stays sealed. fill it, stable it, seal it, gas should be good for 2 years if left sealed. says on the stabil website anyway????

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also our local gas come from the refinery 150 miles away so it is relatively fresh when we get it. Premium does have alot longer shelf life. it is a cleaner fuel put 85 in a glass jar and 92 in a glass jar and look at them it is night and day difference.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking about something else. I was going to suggest backing off the cabbage, boiled eggs and beer. I guess you're talking about a different kind of "rotten gas". :unsure:

Seriously though. I do have 1, exactly 1, station where I can get real gas; no methanol. I feel confident enough in attaining the same results 4 times straight that I can tell this with a reasonable amount of accuracy.

With the good ole 10% (or more - many dealerships find 15% to 18% when testing for warranty claims under engine issues on cars) methanol gas in my '06 Acura TL, I get 28 MPG on a round trip to specific accounts in Indy. Every single time, by on board computer and by hand calculation, I get 28 MPG.

Using the straight gasoline (same required 93 octane), making the exact same run to the same places and keeping cruise at the same speeds as best as I can tell, I get 34 MPG each time!! Well, one time I got 33, but I was almost trying to set a land speed record getting home because of my daughter's health. Still, I'll take 33 MPG when the GPS shows a top speed hit on that trip was 136 mph!

Anyway, I'm no Einstein, and have never claimed to be, but that seems to rather clearly demonstrate a whopping 18% increase in fuel economy when running "real" gasoline! To me, that's HUGE! Also, addressing Big Al's other gas issue, I've forgotten Stabil in some of my lawn mowers and string trimmers (hell, I literally have dozens of small engines - you know I'll miss some), yet I've never once had any bad gas related issues in any small engine since I only run the 93 octane "real" gas in my small engines.

Waybomb will understand big time why I'm not putting anything else in my 502ci and 572ci big block toys. There's an awful lot of money on the line if one of those grenades due to a gas problem. Heck, it's almost impossible to find any "real" carb tuners anymore. Being a carb magician is pretty well a lost art anymore. The smallest speck of dirt or one jet size off makes the difference between a tire smoking beast and a plug fouling machine that makes you scream profanities.

FWIW, I do use PowerService and Stabil in my 550 gallon diesel tank. I don't bother with any additives in my 290 gallon diesel tank or the 90 gallon diesel tank in the bed of my pickup. I only keep gasoline in 5 gallon sealed "jerry" (sp?) cans; and I only have 4 of those cans. They are costly, (new production, not military surplus) but they just flat don't leak (even stored upside down - my son did that for me) and they never dribble with the spouts on them.