• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How to Make Biodiesel at Home!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Got this from Popular Mechanics! :smile:

biodiesel-470-1009.jpg

Senior editor Mike Allen (who used to teach organic chemistry in a previous career) gloves up to pump methanol into the processor.

“Make your own diesel for 70 cents a gallon,” the Internet ad claimed. I was tired of paying for 30 gallons of regular diesel each week to fill my pickup, so I downloaded the instructions. It wasn’t long before I was sucking used fry oil out of tanks behind a restaurant, and mixing it with lye and methanol in a 5-gallon bottle before pouring it into an old water heater.

Two hours later, I opened the valve at the bottom of the heater and black goo oozed from the hose, a biodegradable substance called glycerin. Before long the glycerin drained and gave way to a thin, clear, amber liquid: I had my first batch of biodiesel.

I made that first batch of fuel five years ago. If you factor in all the time I spent making the homebuilt biodiesel processor (a converted electric water heater) and experimenting with the design (some batches went, umm, less than perfectly—I had to replace two injection pumps on my
truck), my experience with DIY fuels was often a frustrating and, occasionally, very expensive process.

Since then, the biodiesel industry and the technology have evolved. With the professionally engineered biodiesel systems available today, the process is simpler, safer, takes less time and yields more consistent results. So I decided to try one of the commercially available processors—it came boxed with all of the equipment and reagents needed to turn out consistent, high-quality biodiesel fuel. The FuelMeister processor used here has five fewer valves than the eight in my old homemade one. It also mixes the lye and methanol inside the tank to prevent the chance of dangerous spills.

Biodiesel Safety

Yes, you can make biodiesel in a plastic bucket with little more than some drain cleaner, gas-line de-icer and a wooden spoon, if you know what you’re doing. But it can be dangerous. Splashing lye and/or methanol into your eyes can blind you. And electrical pumps unattended in the presence of hundreds of gallons of flammables will make your local fire marshall understandably nervous. In addition, poor-quality product will damage your very expensive diesel-injection pump. Our advice? Research biodiesel production properly before doing the mad-scientist routine.

CONTINUED: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4332200.html?page=2

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a very interesting self contained unit. Sadly it is very expensive. But the unit is pretty much automated and includes a dispenser pump/nozzle so you can fill your car/truck/tractor tank directly from the unit. http://www.myfuelpod.com/products/fuelpod2.asp

The capacity of this unit is very small, too small, in fact for practical use!!! But the concept is great. Add another $1000+ and you get a larger capacity that would be more reasonable for actual use. Still with this small capacity you'd have to brew your own fuel every 10 to 14 days if you drive an economical car and every 7 if you have a truck. Not an ideal use of time given that its an automated system.

Personally if I was doing this I'd want to make 40 or so gallons at a time, that way I could make a month's worth of fuel for my car & tractor. I also have a diesel truck, but it is used so infrequently that I put no more than 2 tanks a year of fuel into it.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

Scooped? I don't see where you were already aware of the PM article I referenced. You asked us for info.

Then you post that you already knew that so why bother? Okkkkkk... :D You're welcome.
I don't know!... can anyone offer any insight?

I looked at that Myfuelpod site. "Less than 1 hour hands-on time per batch". And I suspect collecting the grease would also take at least an hour per batch. You or somebody is going to go through one change of clothes per batch of grease collected. And a vehicle used for collecting grease will ppobably be so smelly that your family won't ride in it with you ever again! There's another cost.

Little batch, big batch, either way I seriously doubt you would invest as many hours in this project as it would require. After you figure your capital investment for that refining unit, maybe pay someone a fair wage to collect and deliver the grease to you, pay your road taxes on the fuel you make, and considering you can't use much of the fuel in future diesel engines, I don't see how this adds up. I think it's in the same category as an off-the-grid solar powered home in an urban area, or a battery powered tractor. Doable, but not rational.

I think commercial scale production is a great idea, and there will always be individuals doing this with inexpensive home brew techniques. But I don't see how an expensive refinery kit plus paying someone else to handle the smelly input grease, is ever going to be cost effective.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can tell, the road tax is not charged at federal level below 1400 gallons per year. Not sure about state taxes. But there are exemptions for small personal production up to a certain point (I think it was 1400 gallons annually but that would need to be double/triple checked!) While the cost per gallon is dropped to roughly 70-cents a gallon, the real cost per gallon is probably at least DOUBLE that amount, so figure $1.50 per gallon actual cost with collection time factored into the costs, and that would assume you had a list of suppliers you could collect from on a regular basis without going out of your way to collect it.

The cost of the equipment, even if you built it yourself, is the hard part. To pay off the equipment you really need to use a lot of fuel annually and that pushes you up against the federal limits. Again, states may vary in if/how they impose a tax.