• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

E-10 gas questions

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I got my bulk tank filled.

Unfortunately, the only gas available is the E-10 mix.

So, tell me if you would:

What's a safe shelf life?

Is there any additives to increase shelf life?

Most of my equipment is relatively new. Any equipment I need to watch? (e.g. I know you shouldn't use it in marine engines).

Is E-10 used year-around now? I was thinking it was only a seasonal mix. If it is seasonal, when are the dates?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Get ready for anything and everything that has ever been in your fuel system to be cleaned and make gunk in everything.....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how long you plan to store gasoline but Sta-Bil is the one thing that I know of that will keep it longer term, not sure how long term. Gasoline does not store well. Not sure if the ethanol blend with help or hurt the storage life, but I do know that ethanol will absorb water so make sure you don't allow too much air space because that will increase the chances of condensation in the tank. Ethanol also, as has been pointed out, will clear out all the gunk, which can lead to chunks/clogs forming in other areas, but generally its going to clean things as it runs through your system.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
21bjnwao55L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will be pleasantly surprised that E-10 will not be any different than straight gasoline....As long as the mix is 91 octane. I have noticed that retailers are selling 87 octane E-10. Run don't walk away from this fuel!! The base gasoline was 84 octane or less that they blended ethanol with. Not sure but I don't think 84 octane is legally salable. When 10% ethanol is added you should pick up about 4 points in octane rating by adding ethanol. This is a good thing, and will protect engines from preignition.

Here E-10 has been year around since the late 70's, and we burn it in lawn mowers, Snowmobiles ect....

Stabil is always a good idea items that are used only seasonally...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

My understanding is that refined gasoline is generally good for about 6 months but degraded each month.

Also, from the STA-BIL website:
Q: How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh?
A: For 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years.*

*Actual duration of fuel stability will vary depending on regional source of gasoline and storage conditions. Stability up to 12 months is most common and lab tested.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk,

Too late. I got the 87 octane. Is there a booster that would help?

Re. 84 octane, last time I traveled south, I saw 84 octane being sold at the pumps. I'm thinking it was NC, SC and/or GA.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.ehow.com/how_2284256_own-octane-booster.html

How to make your own octane booster.
By binder, eHow Member
User-Submitted Article

Tired of paying $3-$4 or more for a can of octane booster to get the crap they call gas spewing from the local station's nozzles to work in your car? Make a suitable substitute from the hardware/autoparts store.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need:
  • An empty quart container
  • An empty half pint container(for ease of measuring)
  • A small funnel
  • 1 gallon acetone
  • 1 gallon xylene
  • 1 quart good quality synthetic 2-cycle oil.
(All the above ingredients I found at a local Home Depot)​

1 Obtain your supplies from a hardware store. The Synthetic 2-cycle oil may have to be obtained at an auto parts store, but I have found it in the lawn & garden section of most hardware stores. The acetone, and xylene are both paint thinners, so they are in the paint section. Xylene is a component already added to gasoline for stability, and acetone cleans build up and breaks down the covalent bonds in petrol. The 2-cycle oil helps upper end lubrication of the engine, and stabilized burn a little also.

2 The mix ratio is 2:1:1 acetone/xylene/oil, respectively. For ease of mixing use the half pint container, plastic, cleaned out of original contents of course, and fill it with acetone pour with funnel into the quart container(oil bottles are perfect), do this twice. Now fill it once with xylene, pour into quart, and again with the 2-cycle synthetic oil. 1/2pint x 4 = Quart of homemade octane booster.

3 Add 3oz. of your booster to 10 gallons of gas.

Read more: How to make your own octane booster. | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2284256_own-octane-booster.html#ixzz0yBtwNGPC

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would not run that fuel in any 2 cycle engine. You need high octane for them to perform and not be damaged. Ask a good Stihl dealer and they will tell you drive to get good gas if you want your saw to run well. Was just there today for some chain and 2 cycle oil and an air filter.

D

darroll

It will rust anything (steel) it come in contact with.
It wrecked my carb on the lawn edger.
That's the olly fuel we can buy here.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been living on E-10 for many years. Guess I am lucky? MY two Stihl saws and a trimmer know nothing else. I do however buy their two stroke oil with fuel sabilizer already in it. The "good stuff" of E-10, like I have said before is 91 octane. I really believe if you stick to QUALITY E-10 your problems will be minimized. The trouble is retailers who will mix it with substandard base gasoline. Remember it should be 91 octane, no less. We have two newer snowmobiles here and have yet to have a problem that is fuel related....Two cycles. On really cold days I have put the next bigger jet in the carbs, and left them there, as E 10 may cause them to run slightly lean.

Regards, Kirk

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I would not run that fuel in any 2 cycle engine. You need high octane for them to perform and not be damaged. Ask a good Stihl dealer and they will tell you drive to get good gas if you want your saw to run well. Was just there today for some chain and 2 cycle oil and an air filter.

Am I okay to run 93 octane E-10 gasoline in my 2 cycle engines? I'm not convinced that the gas stations around me that advertise "no ethanol" are legit.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Am I okay to run 93 octane E-10 gasoline in my 2 cycle engines? I'm not convinced that the gas stations around me that advertise "no ethanol" are legit.
That is what I run mixed with Stihl 2 cycle oil. I have a 2 1/2 gallon can and it makes the right mix with one jug. I do add a little sta-bil to my straight gas engines like the generator. I also try to run them at least once a month and have had zero problems with them. My saws get run fairly regular even in the winter time. The tiller and mowers and weed whacker are the ones that sit most of the winter. I run the generator for 5 min. every month so it starts easy when needed.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I got my bulk tank filled.

Unfortunately, the only gas available is the E-10 mix.

So, tell me if you would:

Most of my equipment is relatively new. Any equipment I need to watch? (e.g. I know you shouldn't use it in marine engines).

Is E-10 used year-around now? I was thinking it was only a seasonal mix. If it is seasonal, when are the dates?
Brian , I don't have the definitive answer as to shelf life . But ,as PB suggested marine formula StaBil will help a lot more than the red formula . It's formulated to deal with the water problems of ethanol in a high moisture environment .

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
More of several "seconds" here than new advice, but get the Stabil in there to help the gasoline, and assume the ethanol will
1) pick up any moisture it can find
2) whether fresh or stored, will find any gunk it can and - depending upon the amount [maybe type, but don't know] - pass it through, or deposit it places, you don't want: a good in-line filter will help you "predict" where the crap goes.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Also, as previously noted, I only run high octane in small engines (for me too, Stihl oil in 2 cycles). For the small consumption vs. the investment, a small price IMHO. Ethanol burns slightly hotter with slightly fewer BTUs.