• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP conversion to wide track

Bobmog

Years ago Peterson Equip. in Logan Utah had a conversion kit available to convert a standard track 1404 to a wide track. Does anyone know where ones of these kits might still be available or what would be required to make the conversion? Thanks, any help or suggestions would be great.

mkntrakes

not sure if they just added a belt to narrow track or cut down a set of wide tracks these would be a cheap way to do it or did they chance out axle,tracks,sprockets

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I believe I know where a converted narrow to long track Imp is being used currently. I will try to talk with the owner and find out what his conversion consisted of for the Imp.

A complete conversion to factory type specs would require axles, tracks, sprockets, cleats and a new axle housing as per mkntrakes post.

The quick way would be to just add new outer belts and cleats (asymmetrical tracks system) and use your existing axles and sprockets. I believe you would have to make or fabricate custom cleats for a track like this with an Imp. It may also become much harder to brake and steer with the asymmetrical tracks. Axle problems might also be a factor with this style track as more stress would be put on the axles when braking or turning.

Your best bet in my opinon would be to find an old junker wide track Imp and use the parts for your conversion or just find a cat suitable for your usage and sell your current narrow standard version. Finding repair parts for replacement is starting to be a problem on many of these older Thiokols.

Check out this great complete Imp conversion from a prior post for more info from nutsster on his conversion of a 1402 Thiokol Imp to a wide track:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3765

Last edited:

nutsster

sqcat.jpgMy original tracks on my 1402 were the standard 24" drop center tracks. I contacted Peterson's Equip. and got drawings for the wide track modification. I modified my tracks to 30" and operated it for two years that way. It worked well and adds alot more floatation. You must run the tracks a little tighter to lessen the track droop because of the asymmetrical setup. With the Imp you have a free span across the top that complicates it some. I wouldn't bother welding the center plug in the extension like the drawing shows. Just carefully butt weld the 6" grouser extension to every other grouser and add the 5" belting. There just isn't that much loading on the outer belt to justify that step. Plus it will cut some weight and lessen the droop. This modification is an inexpensive way to add floatation to an Imp. :D

nutsster

With the drop center track I didn't notice more difficulty in turning unless you are in deep heavy wet snow. But then again it is always more difficult in that type of snow in any snowcat.