• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another snow Trac

akimp

Hello all just purchased my second snow Trac. The machine was moved last winter and left in reverse gear. Owner fired it up and the machine stalls like it stuck In reverse and second ( it's common I guess) tried pulling transmission fill plug and prying back on the second gear synchro gear ( recommened if this happens) no luck freeing tranny. There was no gear oil that I could see. Any way with clutch in machine starts and runs great. Ok the problem is the tracks will not spin even with clutch in when trying to winch on trailer. Could not find master link on drive chain to remove them to determine if the brakes were froze. With clutch in the tracks should spin free right? Ran out of time and icy driveway happened the extraction till it melts. Could the varator have issues or is it not engaged when the clutch is pressed? Thanks all. Oh pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 408

akimp

Side view first pic is of odd looking upper wheel holder

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 403

akimp

Looks like it was setup for sprocket ice scrapers. Sorry for the tilted pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 399

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe the seal went out on the transaxle sprocket and run out of oil?

akimp

Ok I think if the tranny is stuck in two gears it prevents any movement of the drive train even when the clutch is engaged.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool, I see the bogies have the angle iron welded to the bottom. I add that to mine when I go to assemble mine

nikos

Nice ST4

Attachments

• n1.jpg
    n1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 382
  • n2.jpg
    n2.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 373
  • imagen7.jpg
    imagen7.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 370
  • imagen3.jpg
    imagen3.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 370
  • n4.jpg
    n4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 371
  • imagen5.jpg
    imagen5.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 372

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey dude can you get me some better pics of the fan intake scoop that looks like a dog house style fan tower . I'm getting ready to build a big bore dual port and plan on using a doghouse style oil cooler.

jask

Very nice, congratulations! those drive sprockets look thin enough to pick your teeth with ;) very impressive to see that sort of length on the teeth.... normally they look like little pyramids because the track tension has been slack... your tracks look to be in great shape.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would pull the cover on the transmission to get it out of two gears at once. If in two gears at once, the tracks would not move, so I think you are on the right track, so to speak. I know nothing of snow tracs so pulling the cover may be a bigger job than I know. Good luck and take your time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there is no covers on the vw trans every thing comes out the back. there is also a special jig used to align every thing before it goes together. car craft inc in riverside ca is the best place I have found to repair the transmissions ,they are affordable and the vw trans can be mailed usps to save money.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
there is no covers on the vw trans every thing comes out the back. there is also a special jig used to align every thing before it goes together. car craft inc in riverside ca is the best place I have found to repair the transmissions ,they are affordable and the vw trans can be mailed usps to save money.

Seriously USPS????? Wow that's great!! "Anything Hazardous harmfull liquid or fragile?" Nope sir its just the tranny out of my VW.......... LOLOLOLOL:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I bought one of their cores had them build it and ship it to me set me back about 600 bucks on my door step here in nome.

AdkSnowcat

One of my old Farmalls got stuck in two gears at once. It was because the operator was too fast and forceful shifting. The shifting forks were worn. I took the cover off the transmission and put the shifter and forks back in position. It wasn't that big a deal. It scared me at first but an old tractor guy who had the same tractor explained it all to me.

I don't know anything about VWs though.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that can't be done with a vw it may be able to pull the hokey stick cover off the back and move the rails. the absence of oil doesn't give me a arm fuzzy about the internals of the trans remember I had one puke a seal on a long trip and dump out all the oil I ran it until it locked up the first thing to happen is I couldn't shift than shortly after every thing locked up.

akimp

Thanks everyone for the replies and Nikos for fixing my photos. After talking with Don my easiest option for getting it out of the former owners yard without spending all day working on trying to free up the tranny is to cut a link on the drive chains on each side. A cheap fix and they will have to come off to get to pull engine and replace tranny. Will post update on Monday when I attempt to extract Snow Trac duece. :clap:

Sno-Surfer

Why not take the track apart? Is it because it's hard to get at and the drive wheel doesn't turn and makes it too difficult? Just curious.
Nice stash of parts it came with. It looks like you're set up for two carrier bogies. Looks nice and stout and good overall machine.

akimp

The bolts are pretty rusted and don't want to remove tracks in the guys driveway.The tires are pretty flat and some have rotted pretty bad and won't hold are. That being said I'm afraid to destroy the rims. I figured master links are cheap. for the parts it came with new drive sprockets and five small tires, various variator parts (a lot of them), new front suspension spring, 3 drive shafts, one large tire with rim :wow:, 10 grousers, small tubes, and some other miscellaneous parts. I'm pretty exited about the possibilities. :smile:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
AK IMP/Trac.....(Your new user name)

One sheet of plywood ripped in half. a high lift jack and a come along would go a long way to sliding the rig up some ramps onto a car trailer in repoman style.

I skidded a bombi I bought that way out of a crappy spo

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
If I wasent stuck in Tok I Slide up and help you load it
I got torches and a crane on my truck....
more fun than the project I on now......

akimp

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was thinking of trying to slide it on plywood and might be a viable option. Crane and torch :w00t2: that would defianaly move it but having it one piece or in half:wink:
I did not get the vin number but it is a two band model with a gas powered heater inside the cab so it must be pre-68 or whenever they converted to a big wheel in the front.