• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spanking your kids, okay or not?

Spanking is useful to teach children right and wrong

• Agree, spaking is okay

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • Disagree spanking is not okay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just read an opinion article on CNN that tied spanking to Christian beliefs and our churches. I had never tied the two together but I was spanked and I spanked our kids from time to time. I'm not sure 'time out' or standing in the corner punishments would have gotten the point across the same.

Do you think spanking is okay for parents to disipline their kids or is it abuse?

Article:

Adrian Peterson and the false gospel of spanking

Opinion by Matthew Paul Turner, special to CNN
Follow @JesusNeedsNewPR

(CNN) – There’s one detail about the Adrian Peterson child abuse charges that no one seems to be noting: his alleged crimes didn’t happen simply under the guise of “parenting” but rather “Christian parenting.”

But the NFL star's Christianity shouldn’t be missed or undervalued in the sharp debate about his actions. Those of us who grew up in conservative Christian churches know all too well the culture that shapes the parenting beliefs of people like Peterson.

Today, the most notable proponents of spanking are American evangelicals. They not only preach the gospel of corporal punishment, they also impart messages that lay the foundations for abuses against children and the protection of such abuse by our legal system.

We have books about spanking. Popular Christian talk shows promote the benefits of spanking. Pastors preach and theologize spanking. Organizations like Focus on the Family offer parents resources about how and when to spank.

The ties between Christianity and corporal punishment are so strong that a large number of conservative Christians parents simple deny studies that suggest spanking does more harm than good.

Now, I’m not saying that evangelical churches are to blame for what Peterson did to his son. But the church isn’t innocent in the matter, either.

Without the church, the popularity of spanking would have dwindled. Stricter laws would probably be in place to protect the rights and livelihoods of children. And people like Peterson would not feel as though he has a license to do whatever he wants to his child.

For decades, American evangelicals have fiercely fought any legal or cultural limits on parents’ “rights” to discipline their children.

As a result, American children are some of the least protected people in the world. They are often innocent pawns to the vile disciplinarian doctrine of folks like Michael and Debi Pearl, pro-spanking theologians who suggest that corporal punishment should begin when a child is only 6 months old.

But spanking theologies are not simply the teachings of Christian extremists.

I was spanked. Not simply because my father was spanked or because I grew up in a part of the country where spanking was deemed acceptable but because my family and I belonged to a church that often preached the “good news” of spanking.

Spanking wasn’t simply one of my parents disciplinary methods; it was a part of their gospel at the time, an idea that they believed was commanded by God in the Book of Proverbs:

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. (Proverbs 23: 13-14)

Those verses trumped all other outside messages that suggested spanking wasn’t good for a child.

While I don’t believe my parents enjoyed spanking, because our pastor said that parents disobeying God by not spanking their kids would result in the ruination of America, they spanked me.

Today, I’m a Christian parent who doesn’t spank my kids. Not because I don’t believe in being obedient to God but because I think the Bible, at least as interpreted by a large number of God-fearing Americans, is wrong about spanking.

But many evangelicals believe that God is an Almighty spanker and that in order to be “good Christian parents,” they must obey God and spank their kids.

That faith-based ideology is what has manufactured the American culture of spanking. It’s also why so many conservative Christians are among Peterson’s most vocal apologists, because obedience to God trumps the rights of children in favor of the benefit of the doubt for parents.

That’s why the details of Peterson’s crimes, pictures that showcase the lacerations and bruises on his child’s back, buttocks, hands and scrotum, don’t change their minds about the benefits of spanking.

They believe that God suggested “spare the rod, spoil the child” - a phrase that never appears in the Bible - and they will do whatever it takes to protect their rights to do just that.

Because of scenarios like Peterson’s, many of the loudest Christian cheerleaders promoting spanking have, in recent years, added boundaries, caveats and kinder language to their pro-spanking positions.

These edits and limitations are meant to make their encouragement of biblical discipline less rigid and more socially acceptable, at least in theory.

In the end, the Christian doctrine of spanking isn’t about obeying scripture or God; after all, nobody is promoting God’s idea of our stoning our kids for disrespecting their parents as outlined in Leviticus 20:9.

Christian spanking is about parents wanting to wield control, instill their values and put children in their place when they question their parent’s authority.

A few hours after being let out of jail on bail, Peterson tweeted Bible verses and Christian devotionals in his defense against his critics.

pic.twitter.com/MWx2msqj9d

— Adrian Peterson (@AdrianPeterson) September 14, 2014

This suggests that spanking his kid wasn’t just a onetime mistake. It seems engrained into Peterson's faith: that God has given him a license to beat his children.

And there’s nothing holy, good or true about that.

Matthew Paul Turner is the author of "Our Great Big American God: A Short History of Our Ever-Growing Deity." The views expressed in this column belong to Turner.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got half-way through the article before I had to raise the BS flag.

Well, sort of. If spankings are Christian, I'll take that as opposed to cutting my kids hand off like they do with Muslim kids.

I think spankings or some sort of physical punishment has been going on well before religion even existed. You get out of line, you get whacked. Cavemen didn't do the touchy-feelly BS that the PC crowd of today want.

I've spanked my kids on occasion. On the butt, no belt or switch. Hand only and just enough to get their attention.

Kane

Screwy liberals nowadays. The wussification of America.

In our generation, spanking was a traditional method of discipline. "Spare the rod; spoil the child". But in this generation, spanking is child abuse. Bull shit.

This does not bode well for America. Kids will grow up with little discipline or respect for authority. The concept of accountability is lost. Which, by the way, is just how the liberals like it, from our president on down. And this president, BHO, is a master at shedding accountability. He teaches our youth well.

Without discipline and accountability for one's actions, anarchy ensues.

Woe is us.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly. I agree with all the above posts, not the opinion article.
And as we all know, anything taken to extremes can be bad. beating kids does not help but actually hurts the process. I've no clue what peterson is accused of ...if it was a spanking as they are calling it in the press or a beating which is entirely different

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
My kids got spanked, usually w/ a hand, sometimes w/ a belt. Left some welts but never a bruise.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I got them I deserved them.

When my daughter got them, which was very scarce, she deserved them.

I think a proper spanking can teach a lesson and is actually appreciated later in life.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Being hyper( they didn't have a name for it back then) from the 5th grade on I was on a first name basis w/ the "board of education", and every lick I got was well earned. My parents always used the belt and I earned everyone of those licks too. I don't feel I have any emotional scars from it and I damned sure don't have any physical scars either.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was never spanked as a child. My father slapped me once a young child and knocked me clear across the room. He said that it so frightened him that he never raised a hand to me again. He did raise his voice however and I deserved every one one of his tirades.

I spanked my two boys on very rare occasions. One whack with my hand on their bottom and that was it and it was all that it ever took. The surprise more than the pain got their attention. No beatings EVER.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I think that I was paddeled just about every where possable......church being the most remembered to me......guess I thought Dad wouldnt do any thing there....My misjudgement!!!!!!.....He stood up ask the preacher to pause .....picked me up...pulled my pants down...and gave me a good paddeling....sat me down turned and said...Ok preacher you can continue...and thanks for your pause!!!!!! as I remember I was right quiet the rest of the morning!!!! Im all for spanking....as far as our girls Mom took care of that.....I could bring any one of them to tears just by telling them I was disapointed in them.......

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't dare to spank my kids in this day. Unfortunately the world we live in is run by psychologists. Kids nowadays are fed their rights from yhe time they are old enough to talk. Kids are taught that they can call a children's aide if anyone looks at them cross eyed.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Spanking has served mankind well since the beginning of recorded history, and likely before. It's success is based on the
single strongest instinct in human-kind: survival. All the psycho-babble in the world in not going to change that simple
fact.

Beatings are another matter altogether, as others have pointed out, and are not to be tolerated.

Leni

Not only was I spanked but I had my mouth washed out with soap. I spanked both of my kids but never washed out their mouth with soap. The swat got their attention. Then we had a discussion.