• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SHTF scenarios versus the REAL thing we can learn from?

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
You guys crack me up. One minute you're talking about exchanging all your currency for gold and guns, and when someone calls you on it you backtrack and say you're just talking about keeping a few jugs of water in case of a power outage. LOL!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Here you go some photo's of my trailer. The top one I took before we left to go to my son's house 4 blocks north of us. The second is taken after we rolled the car back onto it wheels, and the last is the other side of the trailer. The top and middle are on the same side by the way.

Attachments

• Before Andrew.jpg
    Before Andrew.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 132
  • After Andrew.jpg
    After Andrew.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 133
  • After Andrew2.jpg
    After Andrew2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 138

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys crack me up. One minute you're talking about exchanging all your currency for gold and guns, and when someone calls you on it you backtrack and say you're just talking about keeping a few jugs of water in case of a power outage. LOL!

Dont throw everyone in the same boat Rob :biggrin: . I,m probablly more prepared for more then most because we are simple people & what most of you couldn,t live without we dont have or want .

We loose power all the time as well as phone service due to the damage from years ago from Straight line winds , ice storms & tornados in surounding areas as well as some damage ( Inland huricanes for you that dont know ) here , Theres some of Us that matter & some that dont when it comes to restoring power & or phone lines .

Theres several high dollar house & more additions being put in all the time . Our taxes continually to go up to pay for the benifits They demand when they decide to move out of the city & think everything is theirs & for their enjoyment with no real benifit to us .

We just have Our prioritys in order , We aint gonna freeze , get to hot , or go without food or water nor do we expect any help from anyone else . Roofs or shingles blow off I fix them . We have insurance & have never made a claim . I,ll save that if Everything we own is levelled & have to start over . But We,ll be just fine & when it comes time we,ll rebuild .

If any one needed something we have We,ll share , try to impose or take it from Us & be prepared for a really bad day . :whistling:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I'll have to raise the BS flag here. :bsflag2:

When have "we" talked about exchanging our currency for gold or guns?

I will suggest that there are some forums where that type of SHTF scenario is common, this is not one of those, these folks here are not those people, at least not that I can see.

Seems to me that you say you "call us" on it, but in reality you are simply stereotyping us into a very small fringe group of folks who do not represent the typical 'prepper' type people.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: REAL things we can learn from

No-one will be able to help you. Gold, silver, bread and lead will serve you very well. Trust God, and tell no unworthy neighbors
what you have. Exercise daily. Be ready to carry what you think you'll need.

This is what my post was referring to, and no I don't think everyone is like that, but I was accused of mocking everyone. To each his own I guess.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I tend to agree with Pat.

Let's breakdown what he wrote.

Nobody will help you because they will not be able to even help themselves unless they have planned ahead.

He says gold, silver, bread and lead will be useful. Seems logical too. Gold and Silver if we have inflation or deflation because both are generally more stable than currency. That could come in very handy if your personal SHTF is that you lose your job. Now the reference to "bread" to that I would presume he means more than bread but rather food. Again, many of us have already faced that situation and found it useful. Lead, well I presume that to be bullets. Some of us on this forum have had situation to be protected by a gun. Again, useful.

Oh and he says to exercise. How can being healthy be a bad thing?

And carry what we need. Well there have been several threads on these forums about people the usefulness of emergency medical kits, 72-hour survival kits kept in cars, etc. I've used my kits a couple times, most notably when one of my daughter's teammates was run through the chest by a saber while at a fencing tournament. What if I didn't have that kit with me? I was able to respond in seconds while we all waited around for an ambulance to drive to the school gym where the tournament was taking place. Others here have been stranded in cars, etc. So carry what you need, heck that just makes sense.

SShepherd

I have to admit, Rob, it seem you enter threads and mock/make smartassed remarks more than you add anything to the discussions, so if people seem to jump you-- thats why.

SShepherd

Here you go some photo's of my trailer. The top one I took before we left to go to my son's house 4 blocks north of us. The second is taken after we rolled the car back onto it wheels, and the last is the other side of the trailer. The top and middle are on the same side by the way.

ROTFL..the south shall rise again eh?:yum:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes my wife's sense of humor showing through the misery. We where simply glad to have survived it. The things we had all meant little after that storm. We have traveled pretty light since then too.

That was a pretty nice trailer park also. Mostly retired military drawn their do to Homestead AFB. VFW on the other side of the park on Chrome Avenue. My trailer was the second from the end off of US 1.

SShepherd

Quite a bit to be honest with you, must of heard a hundred rounds fire by people in our area. Had a few looters shot by home owners in the area which really happened even more than was reported. My son and I took turns at night keeping an eye on his place.

When I got to my trailer the park the day after it was loaded with people looting. I went after one with a baseball bat that just happened to be laying on the ground there. He was trying to take our gas tanks which we had come to get so we could cook. I had 4 at my trailer as we had propane 4 burner gas stove which we also salvaged.

The local cops now that is funny really. While I'm chasing this guy with a base ball bat. A LEO drives by lights and siren going with the local news crew filming him like he is doing something important. It turns out he was staging a scene that played on local TV for 6 months. He didn't even notice me chasing this guy though the news crew did film me going after him.

Once the guard showed up things got a lot safer for the locals as they buttoned it down. No one could enter the area with out ID showing an address for the area. 10 miles south of Florida City and 10 miles north of Homestead looked like a bad thunder storm is all that hit them. Homestead, Naranja Lakes and Florida City look like a war zone. All of these places are in about a 10 square mile area. Homestead AFB was flattened completely and I played the last round of golf ever played there as I went out with the pro. As we finished each hole we brought in the flags with us. 10 hours later is was gone becoming pretty much a lake for about a month.

thats exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about-- the slugs/dregs of society use an excuse like this to do what they want. "You have it, I want it" People hear your generator running after 3 weeks..they're going to start coming after yours. ( I'm looking for a super quiet one atleast 13kw)
I know the networks didn't report ANYTHING close to what went on as far as crime during both hurricanes.
We were actually the last flight out of Miami, coming home from our honeymoon before that hurricane hit. I know a guy thats a marshal that guarded a bank (trailer) down there after it hit.
After katrina, I have a number of friends that work for HLS, The stories of dead elderly in wheelchairs pushed outside of homes-- only to be used as target practice by gangs was not a lie.
A friend of ours is a judge down there, lives in a nice neighborhood. 3 days after they were hit, a guy stormed through her front door and this is what he said, " You have a generator, because I can hear it. That means you have food in your freezer-- I want it all and your truck" She took 5 steps back, pulled her handgun and killed him on the spot.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty factual, our generator was a large Honda but getting gas for it became a problem.. No electric no gas pumps so we took the gas out of the cars until we where able to get out by vehicle. Once there 20 miles either north or south was like nothing happened. I was working at the time for the School System so had a job which many there didn't have as the local business all where gone as well. My wife was working at Ocean Reef at that time as well so she had a job as well. Even though they are located on the top north end of Key Largo no more than some damaged shrubs in the yards. My wife and eventually moved to Hollywood Florida for about a year before we moved back to Homestead. Stayed a couple of years then went into the storage business managing for others until we bought in the one here in Kentucky 7 years ago next month. Homestead completely changed from mostly retired military to mostly Haitian, Mexican and south Americans once the retirees move to other locations mostly the Tampa and Jacksonville areas of Florida, both of which have large VA facilities.

SShepherd

Aww, name calling? Call me sheeple if you want, but I have life full of joy and happiness instead of paranoia and fear of the big bad Pelosi.

another delusional person I see.........

Where has Pelosi been mentioned ? Paranoia? How is being prepared being paranoid? Honestly, not being prepared to take care of your family during bad times is being a lazyass, suck on society. There are plenty of people who can't prepare for a sudden disaster-- elderly, handicapped. The people that have the resources and time ( like people who have jobs and leisure time plus extra money) have no excuse NOT to have atleast 72hrs of emergency supplies at home-- That info comes straight from your buddy FEMA and DHS
http://www.dhs.gov/files/prepresprecovery.shtm
http://www.ready.gov/
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/foodstorage/

Honestly, put down the Xbox:hammer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly, not being prepared to take care of your family during bad times is being a lazyass, suck on society.
I have an idea, maybe we could pass a law that requires that everyone be prepared? Oh, and if people are not prepared then we could fine them or send them to jail. But instead of letting them just be responsible adults we will treat them like children and set up all sorts of authorized preparedness programs that are "qualified" according to gubmint standards. Sure the costs will go up, but gollydarnit its going to cover the unprepared children.

Is that not what the liberals did with ObamaCare?

SShepherd

I have an idea, maybe we could pass a law that requires that everyone be prepared? Oh, and if people are not prepared then we could fine them or send them to jail. But instead of letting them just be responsible adults we will treat them like children and set up all sorts of authorized preparedness programs that are "qualified" according to gubmint standards. Sure the costs will go up, but gollydarnit its going to cover the unprepared children.

Is that not what the liberals did with ObamaCare?

Hmm......seems like this is an issue of personal responsability:whistling:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah they do sell it CG, homeowners, car insurance, flood insurance the problem with it is the insurance companies take to big a hit they fold up and go away. :yum:

But then in Andrew FEMA did too as no one I know got any low interests loans as promised through them even business. My best advise is to be prepared for the worse case at all times. Luckily I learned that years before Andrew so we where as prepared as one could be.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Ah they do sell it CG, homeowners, car insurance, flood insurance the problem with it is the insurance companies take to big a hit they fold up and go away. :yum:

But then in Andrew FEMA did too as no one I know got any low interests loans as promised through them even business. My best advise is to be prepared for the worse case at all times. Luckily I learned that years before Andrew so we where as prepared as one could be.

Nope, the Republicans don't want people to have flood insurance either.

Republicans Blocked a Package Including Extenders for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

When the Republicans blocked the extending of the National Flood Insurance Program, the GOP blocked flood coverage renewals for people living in flood plains. In order to try and win an argument on health care, the Republicans have basically left a segment of America in serious risk when it comes to protecting their homes and families. Five and a half million people living in flood plains had flood insurance policies, but thanks to Republican members of the Senate, led by Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Jim Bunning of Kentucky, there could be people in the northeast that have had an insurance policy lapse and now sit unprotected during the massive flooding.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2855564/republicans_block_flood_insurance_could.html?cat=9

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not make flood insurance like health care and fine people who don't get the insurance and lock them up in jail if they resist? That will fix it. The Democrats say so! Nancy Pelosi actually said it was fair.

SShepherd

".....blocked flood coverage renewals for people living in flood plains"

well..DUH!!!

I always wonderd to myself....why would you live where it flooded every year??? Oh ya, it's fair to let someone live where it floods and pay 1000k/year for insurance when there's a 90%+ chance that the house will be destryoed and cost 100,000k plus.

Here's an idea, if you live where your house is built on the side of a sandy hill on stilts, and every year they're mudslides-OR- if you live where it floods ever other year, your house insurance is equil to the price of your home.

Oh ..Boohoo.. get a damn grip on reality, it's not fair for me to pay higher insurance rates to cover your stupidity, because you want a "good view" or want to live in a flood plane.

Ok, yesss..they're are people who live in a fllod plane that cant move, etc. , what ever. Maybe the state should build a levee system, oh wait, thats already been done

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Insurers in the US do not provide flood insurance coverage due to the hazard of flood typically being confined to a few areas. As a result, it is an unacceptable risk due to the inability to spread the risk on a wide enough population to absorb the potential catastrophic nature of the hazard. In response to this, the federal government created the National Flood Insurance Program in 1968.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) found that 33 percent of U.S. heads of household still hold the false belief that flood damage is covered by a standard homeowners policy. FEMA states approximately 50% of low flood zone risk borrowers think they are ineligible and CAN NOT buy flood insurance. Anyone can buy flood insurance as long as their community participates in the NFIP, even renters.

If you are eligible, you must purchase a separate flood insurance policy through an insurance company that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Flood insurance is available for residents of approximately 19,000 communities nationwide.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are eligible, you must purchase a separate flood insurance policy through an insurance company that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Flood insurance is available for residents of approximately 19,000 communities nationwide.

Actually to correct you, you only have to have flood insurance if your mortgage lender requires it. If they do not then you do not. If your house is paid for then you don't have to have it.

That all said, the point that Glink was making is that it is STUPID to live in a flood plain just like it is stupid to live on a cliff that has a history of mud slides.

The government, if it was smart (I know, I know, that's not gonna happen) would simply move the people out of the flood plane when they make an insurance claim. Pretty quickly there would be NO NEED for flood insurance.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I understood what was being said Melensdad. This was in regards to free flood insurance like health care. I basically pointing out that Flood insurance is actually controlled by the government under FEMA. And you can't buy flood insurance in many places in this country at all due to high risk.

SShepherd

Actually to correct you, you only have to have flood insurance if your mortgage lender requires it. If they do not then you do not. If your house is paid for then you don't have to have it.

That all said, the point that Glink was making is that it is STUPID to live in a flood plain just like it is stupid to live on a cliff that has a history of mud slides.

The government, if it was smart (I know, I know, that's not gonna happen) would simply move the people out of the flood plane when they make an insurance claim. Pretty quickly there would be NO NEED for flood insurance.

Glink?:sad:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually around here in a lot of places if you live in a flood plain You cant buy flood insurance :wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I couldn't agree with you more. I think that it's only prudent to be ready for the inevitable "outages" that occur every year. I'm not an "end of the world as we know it" kind of guy but having to live without power and water for 3 or 4 days is not uncommon so it would only seem sensible to ensure that you can get through it with as much comfort and the least amount of inconvenience as possible, be it winter or summer. Having gone through one episode totally unprepared when we first moved here, I can't imagine ever doing it again.
Frank, your post struck me when I saw this story about a snowstorm SHTF scenario. Clearly the author is taking the whole event with a grain of salt, but imagine how much better their experience would have been with a simple 6000 watt generator available for a few hundred dollars. The author is lucky to have city water, many of us in the rural areas don't have that luxury and lose water during storms too.

http://townhall.com/columnists/MonaCharen/2010/02/09/frontier_suburbanite?page=full

FRONTIER SUBURBANITE
Tuesday, February 09, 2010
by Mona Charen

Al Gore is responsible for this. He taunted Mother Nature. Consider this her memo: Don't Presume To Know What I Have in Store.

Here in Fairfax County, we thought we were prepared. I had purchased enough milk to last our family of five for a week. We had plenty of food. As the blizzard raged Friday night, we were tucked comfortably in the family room under blankets alternately watching a movie and observing the snow blowing sideways past the windows. The only interruptions to our comfort were the obligatory trips to the (decreasingly visible) driveway for Cali, our 10-week-old puppy.

It was around the 3 a.m. outing that the power went out. I hadn't really worried enough about that possibility. Though we often lose power due to summer storms, and occasionally if there's ice, snow has never before left us dark. But this is no ordinary storm. This is Al Gore's blizzard. My husband opened the garage door manually. We fumbled with flashlights to find Cali's leash and get her safely in and out. Back under the covers until 6 a.m., by which time the house was pretty cold and Cali needed to go out again. One of the kids did this trip. The snow was about 10 inches deep but the storm showed no signs of abating.

When the ambient temperature drops below 50 degrees, door handles send a chill down the spine, and we won't speak of bathroom experiences. A warm drink can make all the difference. But our cook top is electric, as is the oven. All was dark and inert. In good pioneer spirit, we lit a fire in the fireplace and used a stainless steel pan to boil water. Those silicon oven mitts have never done more useful service! Pour the boiling water over the (thankfully previously ground beans) et voila -- hot coffee. Slightly smoky tasting, but hot. The world is righted. Repeat procedure for the kids (yes, my teenagers drink coffee).

Our hot water heater uses gas, so we could at least wash our hands and faces in warm water. And unlike our less fortunate neighbors, we have county, not well, water so the lack of electricity doesn't shut down our water supply. But actually taking a shower, only to emerge into near freezing air, didn't seem appealing. We plugged in the one corded phone we keep for such emergencies. Dominion Virginia Power estimated restoration by 11 a.m. Thinking of Sisyphus, we started shoveling. Now there were 13 or 14 inches. We helped the stranded cars near our house dig out.

At 12:30, the power did jump to life, then faltered, then came back on. Rejoice! There was a rush to power up everything we could -- laptops, cell phones, BlackBerries. You could read by the light of the charge brigade. I threw a turkey breast and some potatoes into the oven -- and dashed upstairs for the shower and (bless you, Dominion Power!) the hair dryer.

As the inside temperature climbed, we noticed that our supply of firewood was getting unexpectedly low. Did you dig all around the rack? Some may have fallen and might be covered with snow. Yes. We were nearly out. Well, no problem. We had power. Until 4 p.m. -- that sickening sound of buzzing when your computer backup needlessly tells you what you already know. And the outside temperature was plunging into the teens. Now we had 34 inches of snow, just a few logs left, and approaching darkness.

We ate the turkey and potatoes by candlelight, and played a game around the kitchen table. The mood was giddy. We had warm food, two dogs, two cats, shelter, and one another. We had to dig a path for Cali. The snow was way over her head. She thought it was grand, though. A frolic. Her golden fur wore a halo of white.

The boys bedded down in the family room in front of the fireplace. My husband and I slept in our room under four blankets. Only my face was cold. But in the morning, it was getting harder to be cheerful. Almost out of firewood, we burned an old table that had been in the storage room. If we could get out of our street, we could go to a hotel. Oh, but not with a puppy who doesn't yet distinguish between the outside and the kitchen floor. More fireplace coffee, less fun this time.

For now, the power has returned. But the forecast is for another 8 to 12 inches starting tomorrow. A little snow is beautiful, but this is getting to be bad taste. We're grinding coffee and praying that the firewood will be delivered in the morning, as promised. Otherwise, I'm eyeing the kitchen chairs sadly.