• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wh needs a bush hog?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Hot summer, grass around the house isn't growing, so I thought I'd try out back with the mower.

Did about 6 acres like this and the mower never "Bogged" down.

Yes, I really want a tractor, but the deal with the misses is cash only on a tractor, or pay the land off first. Had a guy bushog about 35 acres in March, and thought I'd get to the area behind the house before it got too big.

The pic of my buddy in the water was just to good not to post:D

Attachments

• field behind tree before.JPG
    field behind tree before.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 99
  • jack field.JPG
    jack field.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 98
  • mower in grass.JPG
    mower in grass.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 100
  • jack field after.JPG
    jack field after.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 99
  • jack water.JPG
    jack water.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 100

urednecku

Site Supporter
Yep, ya can do a lot with that mower. Just don't let the grass & weeds get too far ahead of ya, & you shouldn't have any problems.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
good lookin' buddy.
nice mower - and yeas, it'll handle jobs like this for a while, but will wear out a lot faster than if you mowed when it was half that height.
that said, i spent an hour using the brush hog this afternoon knocking down everything that grew while I was gone for 2 weeks - a lot of which resembled your pictures.
in a day or so after the cut stuff dries, I'll go back out with the dixon and make it look pretty.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Try mowing when all the grass is as high as your seat back and then you'll see the value of the bush hog.

It is amazing what a good ZTR can mow through though! I use my ZTR to mow between all the trees I've planted and I often let it get really high.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing that somthing that someone else has done before and had issues doing what I was doing. Mower has held up fine.

My wife thinkgs I'm becoming a little obsessive:D

Attachments

• back field.JPG
    back field.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 61

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I find weeds are easy. Tall grass isn't bad. Wet grass sucks...

If the deck does sound like it's clogging up due to wet grass, here's something I found works very well.
With everything still at full blast (full RPM's and mower running), quickly push the throttle to idle and hit the button to turn off the mower. All the caked on "stuff" falls out of the deck. Those high-lift blades, when turning, just keep all the clippings stuck to the top of the deck. By doing this, everything quickly falls out.
It leaves a bit of a mess where you do it but the deck is clean again.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
PS, Nice mower. :mrgreen:

Ditto that. :thumb: Too often I was the price creep a$$ recomending going commercial grade on another forum :whistling: if a Z was intended for more than a city lot, but I did it to myself too and don't regret it!

Of course, I like the grass in areas we may use someday for livestock, so our solution for weeds around here is 2-4-D & Tordon - knocks 'em dead and some residual to boot - not good if you're planning a garden though. :doh:

BoneheadNW

On a side note, PB- what brand ZTR did you end up with?

By the way, I like the pics of the dog in the water. Those water breeds just can't stay out of the water.
Bone