• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

grass seed

working woman

Site Supporter
Since you guys were nice enough to answer the oil question here is another one.

My lawn has several "bald spots", and I remembered seeing a bag of grass seeds in the garage left by my sister. When I pulled it out the bag read "fall seeds" Is there really a difference between fall and spring grass seeds?

Have I mentioned how much I miss living in a townehome right now:bonk: ? This learing the yard work/maintence 101 is a crock at my age!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of "fall seeds"...

Does it say what the seed type is? (Fescue, bluegrass...).

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm suspicious of the "bald spots" remark. Did Sushi put you up to this? :smileywac :yum:

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Is there really a difference between fall and spring grass seeds?

I think I know what you might have. I have never heard them referred to as "fall seeds" though. Maybe they are meaning fall is when you plant it. I over seeded my lawn with a winter rye grass last October. The rye grass will germinate and grow a little over the winter. It will then die off in late spring/early summer. My yard was green all winter. I mostly done it to keep the bare spots in my new yard from eroding. What you will need for a permanent grass solution will be a fescue, bermuda, or zoysia.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never heard of fall seeds either.

How old is the seed? If it is left from last fall most of it should germinate. If it is older than that it would be better to buy fresh so it all comes up.

Jim

working woman

Site Supporter
The bag I found is made by Scotts. called Autimn grass seed. Had a mixture of ky. blue grass and about 4 others.
I went ahead and spread the stuff out anyway, so we'll see what happens

urednecku

Site Supporter
"fall" grass ----- let it grow till it 'falls over'

"spring" grass---plant where you don't want it..it'l 'spring up' quick

:yum::yum::yum:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
(OK, sorry, the smart-a$$ in me is showing again.)

mak2

If you live in the southern part of the state (south of Indy) just stick with bluegrass. the other grasses usually just come up quicker and look good because the bluegrass germinates slowly.