• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pear Tree Recommendations

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I am planning on planting a few trees this year and want some fruit trees. From time to time I get a really good tasting pear, sweet, juicey, and soft. I remember growing up my grandparents had some pear trees, that were neither, sweet, juicey or soft. Any recommendations?

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We got some delicious pears from a neighbor a couple of years ago, so we immediately planted a couple of Bartlett trees, the same kind. I hope they start producing soon. Tree fresh pears can't be duplicated in the store.

I'd check with the local nurseries to see what does well in your area. If the Bartletts are available, they would be an excellent choice.

edited to correct brain glitch--misremembered the name

Last edited:

rugerman

Check with your local county extension office they will have someone who can tell you which kind to get. I've got two one is a cooking or hard pear (it gets soft but just before it drops off the tree and rots) and a bartlett or eating pear. Sorry but I don't remember the names (cultivar) since I planted them about 20 years ago. rugerman

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Would that cooking pear be a Keiffer? My grandmother has some of those. I am looking for a softer pear.

War Eagle!

rugerman

Sorry I don't remember, getting old . Go to the ala cooperative extension website (www.aces.edu) maybe you can find some info there. Good luck. rugerman &wareagle to you.