• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Michigan City SBI Races

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Superboat International is hosting offshore races at Michigan City, In Sunday.

Stopped by yesterday. Only a few teams had shown up by then. Geico was there. Jeezuz. The twin turbine boat, the rig pulling that trailer, another semi rig full of support equipment, another semi full of promotional stuff, pulling a supply trailer behind it, and yet another staright full of supplies! At least $2,000,000 in hardware around.

At least 3 other twin turbine cats there and one or two turbine V's. Gawd I love those Arneson drives.

Anyway, it's raining right now, but heading over there in a couple of hours. Radar shows the rain ending soon. Will be bringing a camera this time.

Races tomorrow.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred, I may head over there. I noticed the replica of Christopher Columbus's ship the PINTA is also in Michigan City. I'd actually be more interested in seeing that than the race!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If you want pix of the event, click on my sig link below and go to the "Michigan City SBI 2009" album.

Here's the cool part. Saturday, Miss Geico's brand new boat, an all Carbon Fiber Mystic with twin turbine engines (6000+ horsepower, they run them at over 105%), broke the tunnel flap off. This meant no race Sunday. I was at the crane when they pulled it out and saw the broken CF.

I called my kid (he was also there with friends), and he went over to Geico's pit area to see if they might need a vacuum pump for vacuum bagging the CF. We didn't know they lost the whole flap. Long story short, 3:30 pm on a Saturday, Miss Geico needs some 6061 0.250 sheared, bent, drilled, studs welded on, square holes for carriage bolts, etc, before they could race. So my kid opens shop, builds the part for them, installs it, and gets home at 3:30am.

They have him over for team breakfast at 8, and he helps out. I show up with wife and the entire crew is complimenting him so much.

Anyway, Sunday's race for Geico lasted two laps; they blew a gearbox. The turbines and gearboxes were from the previous Mis Geico.

Sunday night, they pull the turbines and gearboxes to get them all rebuilt before a race somewhere on Lake Erie in two weeks.

It looks like my kid may be the newest crew member for Miss Geico. I am so glad for him!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like my kid may be the newest crew member for Miss Geico. I am so glad for him!
Really? That would be great for him. I don't watch many of those races but isn't the Geico team the best of them all? The Budweiser team was dominant for years until Geico came into play - hard.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Geico is in the offshore scene, whereas Bud is unlimited Hydroplane. Geico may be into hydros, but I don't follow them. Geico is also into cars and dirt bikes too.

I can't say if they are the best or not, but they sure have the backing. Four (4!) semi's is the support for the boat and the promotional stuuf. All crazy green/yellow and lotsa chrome. Millions just to support this one boat.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went to look it up to see the different racing classes. Didn't have time to figure it out but I did find this.
http://www.amfoffshoreracing.com/schedule/schedule.html
It appears to be the Geico boat racing schedule for the year. (in the OSS, VPI, OPA classes).
Looking at the results of the races already completed for the year, in the 6 non-exhibition races they've completed, they have 4 wins and (2) 2nd place finishes.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The boat run on Sunday was its debut. I believe the previous boat was a MTI. The new one is a Mystic.

Aqua-Mania also has a new Mystic. When Geico's flap failed, they glassed theirs on before it broke off.