• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Found some spider cracking on my rear wheels!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
On my 2005 DK45 Kioti . I checked the lug nuts and they are tight . So what causes it ?? On both sides .:sad:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they located near the lugs. are the wheels cast?
I got a crack on cast aluminum wheels from a lug and figured it was to tight.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If you haven't had them overloaded it's probably caused by where they were made. Let's see some pics.
Mike

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
They are cracking from the lug nut holes . Very very small . I don't think it is from overloading but I do use the hell outta it .:unsure:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
They are cracking from the lug nut holes . Very very small . I don't think it is from overloading but I do use the hell outta it .:unsure:

Are they after market wheels or factory stock? I've had some after market wheels do it to me as well as factory wheels in the past but never on a truck due to hauling. It has been on cars I raced both drag and road racing. Drag due from impact caused by wheel stands and road racing due to the side torque caused by cornering.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
They are factory wheels . I do use a big 6' Trackless snow blower on the rear in the winter .I swear I did not see them , last time I did my Pre op check . I wonder if that could have caused it . I know the blower is damn heavy .

Guess I better plan on ordering up a new set of wheels soon . :sad:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They are factory wheels . I do use a big 6' Trackless snow blower on the rear in the winter .I swear I did not see them , last time I did my Pre op check . I wonder if that could have caused it . I know the blower is damn heavy .

Guess I better plan on ordering up a new set of wheels soon . :sad:

We've had some luck with grinding out the cracks and welding them shut. Die grinder to get the holes back round. We've also welded on a reinforcment ring around the entire center hole and redrilled through the original holes and through the ring.

My guess is the blower might be the issue....

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We've had some luck with grinding out the cracks and welding them shut. Die grinder to get the holes back round. We've also welded on a reinforcment ring around the entire center hole and redrilled through the original holes and through the ring.

My guess is the blower might be the issue....

Regards, Kirk

thanks !I thought about the rings but was unsure if it would work . I guess I got nothing to lose by trying it !

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you use a good torque wrench when you tighten them? Improper torque can let the lug nut act like a wedge when you spin the wheels. Can you see them on the inside also?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Do you use a good torque wrench when you tighten them? Improper torque can let the lug nut act like a wedge when you spin the wheels. Can you see them on the inside also?

I've never used rings but do torque my wheels on even on my every day ride. I also check the torque when I fill the tires at home which for me is when I do it.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Drill a small hole at the end of them it will help keep the cracks from spreading then weld them up over the hole too.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Al...dont supose it matters all that much now.....but there is a large wheel stamping plant in sedalia Mo and they seem to think that when a spider [center wheel] would slip through and not get stress relieved it would very well crack around the lug nut holes....the guy I spoke to said to drill a very small hole ..right at the end of the crack and watch it......all the other ideas you got here sounded good to him to......backing plate ect.