• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Plow Blade

mtn cat

It`s been really great to realize that there are others who are as interested in snow cats as myself. I really appreciate this website! Now for my problem.I need a snow plow blade.I`ve looked at a few factory units designed for pushing dirt,rock and snow,and realized I don`t need anything that heavy duty or that heavy.I`ve just spent the last year and half restoring my cat and on my first trip had to turnaround because the road was cut into a steep side hill and and no way I was willing to risk sliding over the edge. It seems to me that all I need is enough of a blade to push the snow from in front of the uphill track to under the downhill track.I`ve ordered an ATV blade that`s 48 inches wide and 45 lbs. The factory blades I`ve seen push from the axle as well as the frame. I`m planning to push from the frame only. By routing the two hydroulic lines from the rear I can get up and down,left to right.The angle will be adjusted by hand. I`m still trying to finilize the plans,but my biggest problem now is how to move the blade from infront of one track to the other without constructing a huge frame to slide it on. I want to keep the weight down,yet not fall apart at the first attempt to push anything more solid than light powder, and I want the unit to be det:letitsnow: :letitsnow: tachible. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can come up with a blade that won`t weigh a ton,and still do the job.I`ll post my progress!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you'd be better off with a full width plow. The little amount of snow moved with an ATV plow may not be enough to stabilize a high center of gravity machine like a Tucker.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I want to keep the weight down,yet not fall apart at the first attempt to push anything more solid than light powder, and I want the unit to be det:letitsnow: :letitsnow: tachible. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can come up with a blade that won`t weigh a ton,and still do the job.

Go for a full size/width plow to match your snow cat. You maybe able to convert a pickup truck type snow plow which is much heavier and better than the narrower/lighter ATV plows. I doubt that you would be very happy watching the Tucker fold up the ATV plow into piece of scrap. Snow gets much heavier and tougher to move than you may realize....:4_11_9:

I even consider the plow on my VMC a little lighter duty than I would like to have, but by being careful it gets the job done. It is the VMC factory installed 6 way plow. It looks like it would not be to hard to convert a P/U type plow to fit on a snow cat.
P1010061.JPG

P1010084.JPG

PB100016.JPG

paulhenry

IMHO - Might not be a good idea to re-invent the plow. For sidehill situations, you will want a circuit to tilt left/right. Also, you would need a circuit to tilt forward because you don't really want to plow the snow due to the weight build-up, you will want to "roll" the snow, thusly limiting the max amount you push, moving the snow from uphill side to downhill side and creating a flat roadway for the tracks to follow. I bet groomerguy could give you the proffessional skinny on that. Also, the lighter the cat the less snow you can push, hope you understand my poor explanation about rolling the snow. When you set up right there is a real sweet breaking wave of snow in front of the cat that is a continuous flow of snow. Wish I had videoed it this past winter so show you... oh well.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone's right. GO with the full width blade. I use a 6way and an 8 way blade on the machines I operate. Even if you are only planning on light use of a blade, I'd would stay away from one of those atv blades. My dad has one on his atv in the winter to do his driveway. He hooked a tiny frozen stone with it one time and basically bent the blade and buckled the plow from on his atv. That tells you how strong they are. Now, imagine a fullsized tucker(I'm guessing that's what it'll be mounted on judging by your avatar) putting its full weight behind that little plow and you hook a rock, stump, or chunk of ice. That little plow will be a twisted up tangled little peice of metal protruding from the front of your machine.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Below is a video link of my VMC plowing very wet and heavy snow. It was rolling out big chunks to the LH side the size of a sofa. You will find yourself needing to move snow and an ATV blade will just not cut it. This is not the best video but it will give you basic idea of what paulhenry is talking about even though I was plowing out cabin roads in the neighborhood.

paulhenry
When you set up right there is a real sweet breaking wave of snow in front of the cat that is a continuous flow of snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCR6YAN3Ho