• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shaun White apologizes....

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
for dragging the flag on the ground after winning gold in skateboarding.

Not cool at all for what he did and at 31 he is old enough to know better, but he apologized. Man, what is wrong with people today.

Trump yesterday was talking about an African-American soldier in the civil war that would NOT allow the flag to hit the ground during battle and did everything he could to ensure the flag stayed flying. I wish these athletes had the same level of love and respect for our flag.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 12.12.46 PM.png

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You know what? We let people burn it, stomp on it, piss on it and wipe their asses with it. I don't think that I'm going to get too upset because an athlete, in the elation of victory, let it touch the ground ... AND ... he apologised for doing it. For God's sake, lets stop looking for things to be offended about.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You know what? We let people burn it, stomp on it, piss on it and wipe their asses with it. I don't think that I'm going to get too upset because an athlete, in the elation of victory, let it touch the ground ... AND ... he apologised for doing it. For God's sake, lets stop looking for things to be offended about.
Exactly. I think the good ole USA is divided enough to worry about a flag touching the ground.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, you know what? I guess I'm just an old fashioned prick that refuses to make excuses for other people's behaviour, let alone mine. To me the flag is a sacred symbol that needs to be treated with the utmost respect and consideration. I am NOT an easily offended person, I spend most of my time offending others, but when it comes to the flag, not treating it properly is a good way to push my buttons.

He apologized and that is good enough for me, but the whole situation, for me, just underscores the lack of respect young people have today for virtually anything, let alone our flag. He should have known better, Gold Medal giddy or not. Excuses are like assholes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree, he did apologize, so ok but .... how could you, even by accident, allow the flag to drag behind you? I doubt very much it was an accident, no matter how giddy he was over the gold. I saw his performance, it was awesome. Anyone that can perform like that can surely carry a flag and be aware of WTF he is doing. Apology accepted but ... actions will not be forgotten by me. He reminds me of Kathy Gifford, she did what she did, and is sure sorry now because it is affecting her income. He thought twice or was advised to apologize as it will impact sponsors / income.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree, he did apologize, so ok but .... how could you, even by accident, allow the flag to drag behind you? I doubt very much it was an accident, no matter how giddy he was over the gold. I saw his performance, it was awesome. Anyone that can perform like that can surely carry a flag and be aware of WTF he is doing. Apology accepted but ... actions will not be forgotten by me. He reminds me of Kathy Gifford, she did what she did, and is sure sorry now because it is affecting her income. He thought twice or was advised to apologize as it will impact sponsors / income.

Yeah, I will tell you what Doc, old Frank would roll over in his grave if he know. One of my boyhood icons right there with Mickey Mantle and Bob Cousy. #16 forever!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
As emotional as he was after knowing he'd had a good run, being caught up in that moment hoping for gold, THEN taking the gold, he unfurled that flag with pride.

For it to have touched the snow in a country where he is representing the United States of America as an olympic athlete isnt the least bit disturbing to me.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Knowing the snow board culture - probably a little brain damage involved in the poor decision making. ;)

I think there are bigger things to get upset about but then again I'm not a US citizen. You guys take patriotism to a higher level.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Now, what about these so-called inappropriate
accusations against him?
Or as he called it, gossip?
He apologised for referring to it as such, but for crying out loud, is every man now subject to such once they gain some sort of notoriety?
Is any man with a name of fame safe now?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Due process and innocent until proven guilty seem to be things of the past nowadays.

On the other hand, if he is guilty, he needs to have his nards chopped.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no clue what 'gossip' he was talking about. At a loss on this one.

But I'd agree no man, famous or not, is safe these days.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no clue what 'gossip' he was talking about. At a loss on this one.

But I'd agree no man, famous or not, is safe these days.

White is a guitarist in a band and I guess the gal drummer made allegations at one time.
He was asked about it the other night during a press conference ...he said something like he'd prefer to talk about the Olympics and not "gossip".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, and he said 'gossip' was a poor choice of words to describe it. I guess it (whatever the drummers allegations are) happened way before the olympics. And I agree with him that this was not the right venue for the reporter to bring that up.

Still I wonder what the drummer alleged that he did?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess he tried to kiss her and sent her pics of
his penis, something about he tried to control her.
Two sides to every story.

Seems awfully strange to me that since the me too movement suddenly every day some man is being accused of being perverse, inappropriate or abusive.
Lots of bandwagon jumpers out there.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess he tried to kiss her and sent her pics of
his penis, something about he tried to control her.
Two sides to every story.

Seems awfully strange to me that since the me too movement suddenly every day some man is being accused of being perverse, inappropriate or abusive.
Lots of bandwagon jumpers out there.

I can't argue with that (bandwagon jumpers) ...but from shit my wife was exposed to in more than one workplace I know there are more than enough slimeballs to go around. If they did it, good for the women for having the backbone to point it out. If it's a lie, shame on the women, as they will hurt all women that were put in these types of situations through no fault of their own.

Having daughters and granddaughters I'm glad to see this movement in the direction of exposing the slimeballs like Anthony Weiner. All should have the freedom to speak up and be believed if not treated with respect.