• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Honda Rancher?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just picked one up for myself, or so I thought. Now I can't get the kids off of it. It has the automatic or ESP (electronic shift) and the kids really like that compared to the 5-up/down toe shift. I do require them to learn manual shifting on ATV's before they can go automatic.

Before I consider getting them Rancher's as well, does anyone have any thoughts on them? I've always been a fan of Suzuki ATV's as well (and that's what is in the stable now). When I look on Craigslist, there's more Ranchers for sale then the entire Suzuki line for the same period.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a 2004 450 Honda Foreman with ES for Colt, it's been indestructible!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well out where i live quads out number cars 3 to 1, hears what i can say about hondas in the villages they don't call them quads or atv' they call them hondas reguardless of the brand at 1 time honda was the way to go. since the local honda dealer closed it's doors and the local general store, alaska comercial picked up the dealer ship sales have suffered. i would put the new suzuki products and yamaha products on par with honda i think the artic cat products would be there to. hondas are simple and reliable there biggest down fall is esp, and there shift position switch goes bad and that will require removal of the engine also you must always put the oil filter in right as it will fit back wards and plug off the oil port to the head the other down fall is the lack of a front locking differential but unless you need max pulling power that is trivial hondas are powerful and reliable have fun last thing to remember is esp is power hungry you have to have a good battery if it cranks slow it's likely not going to shift right

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 99 Honda 450 ES and have had absolutely no problems with it. Bought it new and it's been dependable and rugged throughout. When the original battery finally died I've never found a battery with as long of life as the original. Now I keep a battery tender trickle charger plugged into it most of the time and that solved my battery issues.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have an '02 Rancher 350 that's not ESP. Not a bit of trouble. That and the Honda Rubicon have survived my torture tests which include towing 3000 pounds of trailer and being high centered repeatedly. I've had my tracks on both of them.The 350 was a little underpowered with tracks.

The '03 Rubicon needed a sensor replaced and an elec plug came undone which took a while to find and that's all that's gone wrong.
The solid rear axles and the Honda name are the reason I hardly considered anything else.