• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wiring thru the firewall

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Gotta problem. I just bought 2 aftermarket rear view mirrors for my 05 Accord and my wife's 06 Civic and the mirrors have temperature and UV sensors that have wiring that needs to run through the firewall. The instructions simply say to run the wire through the main wiring grommet. Well, on my car, my hands would have to be the size of a Barbie doll's in order to do that. Any suggestions?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an '06 Accord and I had to run some wires through the firewall. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it wasn't that bad. Although the instructions said to remove the lower dash panel, I did not want to risk having a clip break on it so I left it in place. The lower panel under the dash (over the driver's knees) comes off relatively easy. From there you can push a couple of wires through with the main wiring harness through the rubber bushing in the firewall. Honda was generous with their use of those black wire ties under the hood. I was able to put the additional wires through existing wire ties. You may have to cut the existing wire ties and put new ones on to hold your wires in place. That seemed to be the tightest part of my wiring.

Let me know if you need more specific info. I don't have that car with me, so I was going from memory (which could be defective:eek: ). I can always stick my head under the dash and under the hood to take a look see.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Man, I love this forum! Anyway, another quick question. How did you fish the wires thru the grommet (i.e. fish tape?). I already have instructions for removing the dash panels. Got 'em here: http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
jpr62902 said:
How did you fish the wires thru the grommet (i.e. fish tape?).
I can't speak for a new Accord, but something covered in KY jelly will get most anything (wire) through any size hole. I'll leave it at that...:pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've taped the wire to a paper clip (straightend out) to make it more rigid; & worked it right on thru. Worked like a charm. No KY involved....though that's not a bad idea. :D

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
bczoom said:
I can't speak for a new Accord, but something covered in KY jelly will get most anything (wire) through any size hole. I'll leave it at that...:pat:
I'm sure that'll work as an explanation when you're at the drugstore checkout with 5 tubes in hand.............(Zoomer......Just what website did you get that helpful hint from anyway ?)

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, I'm from Ohio and I have no idea what Kentucky jelly is. Do I get it at the grocery or the drug store? Is it really a good idea to use edible food stuffs for this type of procedure?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
jpr62902 said:
Okay, I'm from Ohio and I have no idea what Kentucky jelly is. Do I get it at the grocery or the drug store? Is it really a good idea to use edible food stuffs for this type of procedure?
This may explain it better. You can use it across statelines too ! :pat:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: Holy crap man! I don't look for a day and you guys have him trying to have sex with his car! :yum: I was not that creative. I just used some electrical tape and taped the wires to a straightened out coat hanger and pushed it through a bit. I then went under the hood and untaped the wires from the hanger and pulled them through.

I guess I was boring. I've really never thought of my car in a sexual way. I don't know, maybe the lines are a bit sexy...:thumb: :eek:

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Y'all are a hoot. I was thinkin' I needed to make a peanut butter and Kentucky jelly sandwich to get 'er done.

Thanks for all your advice (and yes, I actually know what KY jelly is).

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
jpr62902 said:
Y'all are a hoot. I was thinkin' I needed to make a peanut butter and Kentucky jelly sandwich to get 'er done.

Thanks for all your advice (and yes, I actually know what KY jelly is).
You'd be better off with a seafood taco & KY.:boobies:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Simple.....just go into the configuration screen for your firewall, and specify the correct port that you want to run the wire through. After you do that, you may need to tell it to re-read the config file to make the change active.

Once that's done, it's really a non-issue to make the connection through the firewall.

Uhhhh...wait one......

Nevermind. :pat:

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Okay, Dave. So I've got KY jelly all over my mouse and ..... Oh never mind.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now you're getting a little kinky ...... :D
...not that theres anything wrong with that! :)

JimR

Charter Member
KY on a mouse, Hmmmmm, strange folks in Ohio. I use a speedometer cable for running wires. Tape the wire you want to pull through to the speedo cable. The cable bends and is easier to move around things in the engine compartment.