• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

changing ATV tires

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a set of tires for my honda 450 es. These are the boring standard tires that come on a new one. I got a deal on the tires since a co worker upgraded his tires before his atv left the shop. Standard ones are fine by me.
But, can you change these yourself without any special tools. I put the green slime in all four of them a couple of years ago. I've since reapplied the slime to one of the tires, but that's it. The other 3 should have evaporated by now. Anyway, I was thinking of changing them over in my garage with no special tools. But wondered if it's harder to change them than I'm thiinking. Has anyone else tried this?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Anyway, I was thinking of changing them over in my garage with no special tools. But wondered if it's harder to change them than I'm thiinking. Has anyone else tried this?
It's a bugger...

The tires on your 450 are probably big enough where a tire changing store will take them (they don't like doing small tires).

If you can do that, it would save you A LOT of aggravation.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly what I was wanting to hear. Thanks Brian! :)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, everybody sit down before reading further......okay, I have an el cheapo manual tire changer from.....yes....HF (can't say it out loud) and it is great for changing ATV tires and even passenger car tires. I think I paid something like $50 for the changer and balancer when it was on sale several years ago. After a little practice, I can change 4 ATV tires in about 10 minutes or less. It does fine unless you try 10 ply tires like I have on my dually. That will break the machine, but expectedly so.

Gees, I know I'm gonna catch a lot of crap for speaking positively about something I bought from...er...that place.:eek:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Okay, everybody sit down before reading further......okay, I have an el cheapo manual tire changer from.....yes....HF (can't say it out loud) and it is great for changing ATV tires and even passenger car tires. I think I paid something like $50 for the changer and balancer when it was on sale several years ago. After a little practice, I can change 4 ATV tires in about 10 minutes or less. It does fine unless you try 10 ply tires like I have on my dually. That will break the machine, but expectedly so.

Gees, I know I'm gonna catch a lot of crap for speaking positively about something I bought from...er...that place.:eek:

Naaaaa, Bob's away on work or vacation, so you should be spared this time. Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't even know anyone carried cheapo manual tire changers. If I had my trailer at home where it belongs I'd just have loaded up the ATV. I know I could have taken off all four tires and transported just the tires, but I didn't want to do that. A cheapo tire changers might be just the ticket for this situation. Thanks Dargo.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Doc, that's cheating.
You didn't say you would buy a tire changer. You said "no special tools".

My Dad has one of those things like Dargo. If I recall correctly it needs to be mounted to the floor. Also, once mounted to the floor (which will make it relatively permanent), you'll never need it again. It's one of Murphy's Laws.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know BC. I didn't know that option was available (cheap tool) ....but if I had to drill into my concrete garage floor to mount it I'll pass.
With the soft sidewalls of ATV tires I thought a big screwdriver might be all the help you'd need to get it over the rim. I've only changed bicycle tires myself, but thought ATV might not be to bad to man handle.