• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama's Radicalism Is Killing the Dow

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

Lately we have been seeing and reading in the media and even here that Obama's ratings are going up. But I could never understand that if Obama's ratings are going up then why is the Stock Market Dropping. I just wished someone could have explained it to me.

This is an interesting article and sheds some light.

The illusion that Barack Obama will lead from the economic center has quickly come to an end. Instead of combining the best policies of past Democratic presidents -- John Kennedy on taxes, Bill Clinton on welfare reform and a balanced budget, for instance -- President Obama is returning to Jimmy Carter's higher taxes and Mr. Clinton's draconian defense drawdown.

Mr. Obama's $3.6 trillion budget blueprint, by his own admission, redefines the role of government in our economy and society. The budget more than doubles the national debt held by the public, adding more to the debt than all previous presidents -- from George Washington to George W. Bush -- combined.

It reduces defense spending to a level not sustained since the dangerous days before World War II, while increasing nondefense spending (relative to GDP) to the highest level in U.S. history. And it would raise taxes to historically high levels (again, relative to GDP). And all of this before addressing the impending explosion in Social Security and Medicare costs.

The president proposes a large defense drawdown to pay for exploding nondefense outlays -- similar to those of Presidents Carter and Clinton -- which were widely perceived by both Republicans and Democrats as having gone too far, leaving large holes in our military. We paid a high price for those mistakes and should not repeat them.

For the sake of this county I pray that what Obama is doing turns this country around. I am afraid however if his plan does not turn things around we will be too far in the whole to ever fix it. I am concerned about the cutting of our defense department.

murph

Cityboy

Banned
How can you blame this on Obama????? The man has not been office 100 days yet. Economists have warned of this economic meltdown for over 10 years, through both Republican and Democrat legislative majorities and presidents, none of which did diddly-squat to prevent it.

Lets look for the truth instead of a scapegoat.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
How can you blame this on Obama?????

CB I don't know if I am blaming anyone at this point or in the future. If you took it that way I am sorry.

I know it is going to take years to turn the mess around but I am concerned of the direction he is taking. I also would have thought that after all the bailout money was approved and his ratings went up that we would at least see some improvement in the stock market instead of a spiral downturn.

And I have not given up on Obama or his administration I am only concerned.

murph

Cityboy

Banned
CB I don't know if I am blaming anyone at this point or in the future. If you took it that way I am sorry.

murph

Ummmm......The title of your thread: -Obama's Radicalism Is Killing the Dow- kind of contradicts the quote above. :poke:

We were in deep caca long before the presidental election. And since our leaders ignored it for so long, it's going to take an equally long time to repair the damage. There is no quick fix.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CB, you are attacking murph for the title of the thread when all he did was insert the title of the article as the title of the tread. WTF?

Take a look at the last line in his first post. He said he hopes Obama turns this around.

Cityboy

Banned
CB, you are attacking murph for the title of the thread when all he did was insert the title of the article as the title of the tread. WTF?

Take a look at the last line in his first post. He said he hopes Obama turns this around.

WTF are you trying to say I'm "attacking" Murph for? Did you see the smiley??? Get a grip BS. Put those big boy pants back on and realize that dissent does not equal attack, even if you don't like the dissent.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Poll's state that 90% of democrats polled rate him at exceeding expectations. Are they paying any attention to what is going on????? They just didn't define exceeding at what? I don't know about you but buying votes, banks and car companies was not what I think most of the population had in mind. The democratics are taking advantage at every oppurtunity right now to push through policy they've wanted for years.

He talks out of both sides of his mouth. Spend money like a drunkin sailor on a stimulus but then puts together a committee for responsible spending. Then delivers a budget full of pork and earmarks.

Hires cabinet members that don't pay their taxes and then has one of the same promise to attack anyone that doesn't. Right now he can't fill his post because nobody wants to be on board a holey ship.

Has Wednesday night parties with Japanese steak at our expense. Just appears he and his admin are clueless right now and seek any kind of diversion (RB). It appears all is well as long as he and his cronies are doing just fine.

Cityboy

Banned
They just didn't define exceeding at what? I don't know about you but buying votes, banks and car companies was not what I think most of the population had in mind. The democratics are taking advantage at every oppurtunity right now to push through policy they've wanted for years.

Remember, Bush2 pushed the first stimulus through with zero accountability for the money.

And ya'll surely remember that I said that Obama should be called "Obushma", because he is going to do the same thing overall that Bush did, which is nothing good for our economy.

The lines between left and right no longer exist in Washington. It's all a tax and spend orgy for both sides.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Wrong.

The Dow is falling because everyone is learning that stock prices were based on an inflated view of the value of stocks. Stocks got reappraised; their market value fell. If this pattern were within the President's control then Bush would have remedied it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno. Even far, far left leaning friends I have are terrified by what Obama has done with burying generations of Americans in debt for his pet projects otherwise known as 'stimulus plan'. Repaying ACORN nearly 4 BILLION dollars for committing fraud to assure his election sure reeks of Chicago politics at the very worst and we have this guy holding the reins. I’m doing my part and buying real estate from the poor fools who bit off way more than they could chew. I believe OB1 will prove that putting the most liberal and inexperienced senator in the White House was a mistake of Biblical proportions.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
How can you blame this on Obama????? The man has not been office 100 days yet. Economists have warned of this economic meltdown for over 10 years, through both Republican and Democrat legislative majorities and presidents, none of which did diddly-squat to prevent it.

How about the Dow dropping like a rock after he was elected, he says nothing but negative stuff about the Dow and the fact that most people have a retirement based on it's performance shows he has not a clue.

His pushing for a massive health bill to control yet another sector of what was the best in the world and bring it down to the level where a bureaucrat is to decide if you are too old for a health related need instead of a doctor. Maybe if they started to look at the lawsuits that have driven up the costs to where people can't afford the insurance, instead of lawyers making hundreds of millions off class action lawsuits.

The stimulus bill that started under Bush, was at the behest of Obama, and after he was elected, he then again pushed for another Trillion+ (with interest) laced with pork (but said there was none), and now another 600 billion for a third round... yep Obama is starting to appear way in over his head and his fault for the total shut down of the Dow is clearly falling on his watch.

The democrats have been screaming the "Sky is falling" of the financials for two years before there was anything wrong to get elected, at one point people started to believe them and quit spending money, the Democrats control the purse strings in congress and Barney Frank controlled the loan center that the home loans revolved on and with his directions, claimed there was nothing wrong when it was clearly pointed out to him that there was some "Issues" that have in fact caused the rapid downfall of the housing market due to fraud forced onto the banking/loan market by him and his cronies....

So Stating that just Obama is at fault is only part of this mess, but he has had a lot of help in a very short amount of time, and guess what, he is the captain of the ship and as it sinks, he gets the blame.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about the Dow dropping like a rock after he was elected, he says nothing but negative stuff about the Dow and the fact that most people have a retirement based on it's performance shows he has not a clue.

His pushing for a massive health bill to control yet another sector of what was the best in the world and bring it down to the level where a bureaucrat is to decide if you are too old for a health related need instead of a doctor. Maybe if they started to look at the lawsuits that have driven up the costs to where people can't afford the insurance, instead of lawyers making hundreds of millions off class action lawsuits.

The stimulus bill that started under Bush, was at the behest of Obama, and after he was elected, he then again pushed for another Trillion+ (with interest) laced with pork (but said there was none), and now another 600 billion for a third round... yep Obama is starting to appear way in over his head and his fault for the total shut down of the Dow is clearly falling on his watch.

The democrats have been screaming the "Sky is falling" of the financials for two years before there was anything wrong to get elected, at one point people started to believe them and quit spending money, the Democrats control the purse strings in congress and Barney Frank controlled the loan center that the home loans revolved on and with his directions, claimed there was nothing wrong when it was clearly pointed out to him that there was some "Issues" that have in fact caused the rapid downfall of the housing market due to fraud forced onto the banking/loan market by him and his cronies....

So Stating that just Obama is at fault is only part of this mess, but he has had a lot of help in a very short amount of time, and guess what, he is the captain of the ship and as it sinks, he gets the blame.

Bravo ................ !

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wrong.

The Dow is falling because everyone is learning that stock prices were based on an inflated view of the value of stocks. Stocks got reappraised; their market value fell. If this pattern were within the President's control then Bush would have remedied it.

Good Point. :thumb:

But I still would think if the the majority of the people out there were really excited about the direction the United States is taking would they not be doing some investing?

Cityboy

Banned
Wrong.

Very true. These folks on the right sound just as shrill as those on the left about Bush, but they just can't see it. The fact is that both sides did nothing, and here we are with each do-nothing side blaming the other do-nothing side.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Good Point. :thumb:

But I still would think if the the majority of the people out there were really excited about the direction the United States is taking would they not be doing some investing?
I don't think so. In the long run it is corporate earnings that drive stock prices, not public sentiment. The Dow and S&P were selling at rich, historically high multiples of the underlying earnings. (P/E ratio). Now the earnings have fallen plus sentiment has turned so we can't expect such a rich multiple to be applied to the lower earnings. So stock prices go down. Econ 1A stuff.

There was one factor contributing to the high P/E that won't return: The entire baby boom generation was bidding against one another to buy stocks to fund their retirement. As this crowd, demographic bulge, now reaches retirement they won't have the income to continue buying stocks and bidding up prices. And when they start selling stocks to pay living expenses, a reasonable assumption for retirees, they will be flooding the market with stocks a few years from now.

Things change, this isn't your fathers's investment climate. Maybe it's time to buy real estate. That worked for me in the 1974 stock downturn. It was not so severe as the present, but it was a time when squeezed RE investors were forced to sell at fire sale prices, at very low P/E ratios compared to the rents the apartments were proven to earn. When confidence returned I sold at much higher price/earnings ratios. I'm not saying this is the answer here, I'm saying look around for a new game that others haven't piled on to yet.

daedong

WTF are you on skurka how was this an attack? You were out to get CB weren't you and I guess you won! Now, who's next?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I looked through all three. The closest I can get to that statement is a line ''groups like ACORN" may be eligible to compete with state and county agencies for grants from the total nationwide sum.

Do you have anything closer to 'Repaying ACORN nearly 4 BILLION dollars'? I think that's just baseless political rhetoric by the (powerless) Republican party leaders.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I looked through all three. The closest I can get to that statement is a line ''groups like ACORN" may be eligible to compete with state and county agencies for grants from the total nationwide sum.

Do you have anything closer to 'Repaying ACORN nearly 4 BILLION dollars'? I think that's just baseless political rhetoric by the (powerless) Republican party leaders.

No as I said "I am sure the money is not guaranteed". And saying for ACORN your right, bad choice of words.

But as for it being political rhetoric no one but the Republicans would say anything. The Dems sure wouldn't.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Ok, I don't think we are getting any closer to supporting Dargo's statement.

How about 'Repaying'? Where is 'Repaying' of $4billion printed in some valid source document?

This all sounds like a Limbaugh line. Just make up something, throw it out there, and see if it sticks.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Fact Check Here this answers it for us
hey you left out the most interesting part:

Q:
Does the stimulus bill include a $5.2 billion payoff for ACORN?
I would appreciate having FactCheck.org look into whether ACORN will receive $5.23 billion from the Obama stimulus package under the guise of “stabilizing neighborhoods.” I have been bombarded by e-mails from an acquaintance about this. What can you find about this? Thank you.

A:
The bill does include funds for which ACORN would be eligible to compete - against hundreds of other groups. But most is for a housing rehabilitation program ACORN says it never applied for in the past and won't in the future.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, can you cite a source for this?

XM channel 167, America left. There was a woman talking on there that day who was associated with ACORN and was bragging that "Obama is helping us with much needed funds to get out the vote even better". That may not be precisely word for word but it's not far off. I don't know where the 5.2 billion figure ever came from. The woman on XM stated that ACORN would stand to receive "nearly 4 billion".

That about did it for my fill of the lunatic fringe portion of the off the charts liberal left, like where Obama resides, for that day. I listen to both sides of XM talk radio. You fell into the typical left trap when you stated that it sounds like something from Limbaugh. He must have the liberals literally running for cover. It's too bad that his self praising style of talk is too much for me to bear. I'd like to know what he is doing to have the liberals so afraid, but not curious enough to listen to him. Honestly, I can't stand listening to him myself.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Dargo, your talk radio lady is repeating what the House Republican leader put out there. Ok, Boehner is not Limbaugh, but at least my ear told me this sounds like today's Republican propaganda. And Murph's three links show that it is. Maybe your radio friend is a ringer.

Did you really believe there will be $4 billion repayment to acorn based on what you heard on talk radio? Why make that statement here based on such an insubstantial source?

Limbaugh isn't doing anything to frighten liberals. Rather we are watching with amusement as he slaps down one Republican leader after another. Nobody quite matches his meanness and that's what it's going to take to get him to shut up. There's a drugged looney proclaiming himself the greatest of Conservatives and nobody has survived challenging him so far. Great theatre.