• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Leaking sunroof

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its a RAV4 toyota . It appears that water is getting between the glass and the rubber gasket . This is a openable type factory sun roof . I added a piece of 1/4 x 1/4 inch self sticking foam tape where the rubber contacts the body to make the rubber push harder against the body . I also found the tray drains were plugged with crap . I also place a line of silicone under the rubber gasket ,to try and stop the water from sneaking through there and missing the drain tray below
Any more ideas????
The Toyota dealer told her a $1000 bucks to repair !!!!:censored:
Suppose to rain tonight ,wish me luck !!!

Cityboy

Banned
If you don't want to pay for the repair:

Seal it up with clear silicone sealant and remove the fuse-link to the circuit and do not use the "sun/moon roof any more. Otherwise, pay the 1 grand and let Toyota fix it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you don't want to pay for the repair:

Seal it up with clear silicone sealant and remove the fuse-link to the circuit and do not use the "sun/moon roof any more. Otherwise, pay the 1 grand and let Toyota fix it.

I'd have a little more faith in local Toyota dealer if they had actually cleared the drains as they said they did and for which they were already paid for once .I found both the drains plugged !!! It leaked the first time it rained after being supposenly repaired there . They did not offer to refund or recheck it . Said the gasket needs replacing and it is a cool $1000 .

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Go to the Toyota website and fill out a "satisfaction survey" on the dealership. Let toyota know you're making this problem known far and wide and that their response will also be posted, for good or bad.
When they come back with "not our problem, we have no control over the behavior of our dealerships" you'll know how I felt when dealing with Dodge last year about a life threatening maintenance issue i paid to have checked that was not done. (and no, I'm not greatly in favor of the auto bailout, despite the reasons put forth by the pres Friday morning - Chrysler alienated their customer base by not ensuring customer support)

If you use the sun roof, you're going to have to shell out the $$ to someone - but I wouldn't make it that dealership. If you don't use the sunroof, PB's suggestion is a reasonable short term solution. (alt - can you buy the seal from an aftermarket company like JC Whitney and do it yourself?)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
A Toyota condom should do the trick.

Seriously though, the drains should be able to handle the leak. No sunroof doesn't leak, thus, the drains. Most cars have 4, but the Toyota may only have two. I am guessing they are still semi plugged.

Do you have access to an old speedometer cable or an electrician's fish - the type made of wound spring, not the flat type? Run that through the drains untill you see it exit, then flush with copiuos amounts of water while rodding out the drains with the cable. I'd look for 4 drains.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
A Toyota condom should do the trick.

Seriously though, the drains should be able to handle the leak. No sunroof doesn't leak, thus, the drains. Most cars have 4, but the Toyota may only have two. I am guessing they are still semi plugged.

Do you have access to an old speedometer cable or an electrician's fish - the type made of wound spring, not the flat type? Run that through the drains untill you see it exit, then flush with copiuos amounts of water while rodding out the drains with the cable. I'd look for 4 drains.

4 drains ??? Thats a thought . I found 2 ,but never thought about 4 . Hopefully it is fixed with what I have done so far . I'll check later today .