• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Let the search begin.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Never really thought I'd be asking about an ATV/UTV, but thought it might be a nice addition for upnorth.
I'm thinking of something that'll run around 35 MPH, side by side seating, 4times4, and be able to haul a couple dogs in back. I don't think I'd want a high performance monster to scare the crap out of the world. But I would like something that could actually be used in snow and rough back roads like firetrails. Also not something that produces the decibels of a B-52.
Anybody got any suggestions. Please don't use acronyms, until I know what they mean, I have enough trouble with English as it is.:tiphat::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spend tomorrow at all the dealers or on the mfgr sites.
You'll want to kick the tires of:
Arctic Cat Prowler
Yamaha Rhino
Polaris Ranger
Kawasaki Mule
Kubota RTV.

Chief

Around my area, the Ranger XP seems to be a popular choice. I have spent several hours riding around in a few friend's and guys I hunt lease too who have the Ranger XP. Very capable and fast machine. Can't tell you much about the long term reliability though.

BoneheadNW

johnday said:
I'm thinking of something that'll run around 35 MPH, side by side seating, 4times4, and be able to haul a couple dogs in back.
I think you might have it backwards. How about the dogs hauling YOU around? Do sheep pull sleds? :whistle:
Bonehead

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
What would a guy be able to get for around 5-6000 bucks, or is that even feasible for new?. Man, I feel like a guy on TBN asking what tractor is best for........
Jan and I were talking earlier about spending the afternoon Saturday just as suggested. At least now I know who makes them. I'm gonna have to rely on you guys to point me in the right direction after I look at a few.:tiphat::beer::coolshade

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
I think you might have it backwards. How about the dogs hauling YOU around? Do sheep pull sleds? :whistle:
Bonehead
Jay; Interesting thought. I don't know, but, I have seen goats pulling sleds.:rofl1::reacharou:pat::beer:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Went and looked at the Rhino, the Ranger, and the Mule today. Had to go to 2 different Yamaha dealers to look though. The first one, I explained he was the first place I stopped, he really was. The first comments out of his mouth was that's what everyone says, and they go buy elsewhere. Besides the attitude, he acted like he didn't know anything technical, like how much horsepower!? Needless to say, he was right in my case, I'll go elsewhere.
The Ranger IMO, just really didn't give me a warm feeling at all, so scratch that one. The Mule just wasn't for me either, looked at the Rhino and the Mule side by side at the next dealer, so I really could compare the two.
Soooo, I'm leaning toward a 450 Rhino. I know it doesn't have the power of the bigger one, but I never intend to use it to haul much of anything, the TC is for that, and I really don't need to go the speed of light either. I got a Yamaha 2500# winch for half price to cinch the deal. I'll let them know Monday if I'm going to take it.:tiphat::17875::17875::4_11_9::beer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I've seen I'm leaning towars Rhino also. Do you mind sharing hhe prices for Rhinos' you looked at (smaller and the bigger one)?
Later this spring I might take the leap. :)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
From what I've seen I'm leaning towars Rhino also. Do you mind sharing hhe prices for Rhinos' you looked at (smaller and the bigger one)?
Later this spring I might take the leap. :)
:
Doc; The 450 list is $7899. The 660 was around $1600 more I think. My need for speed wasn't a consideration, so the 450 will be just fine. One thing I really like, [I think} is the winch. By truck and tractor standards, it's pretty wimpy at 2500#, but this machine only wieghs about 1000# If we go ahead with the deal, we should get it this week. Photos will be forth coming of course:tiphat::coolshade

An aside; When the dealer asked if I wanted them to deliver, or if I wanted to haul it in the back of my truck, I ofcourse said no. Well, what are you going to haul it on? They asked. I'm going to haul it on a flatbed, instead of the enclosed, I don't know at this point if the ROPS will clear the door on the tooltrailer. I'm used to talking with people with equipment to haul same as I. The guy says, Well how big is your flatbed, these things are real heavy. I don't think they could actually fathom what what a 20' Tandem, 12K, equipment trailer was. They looked at me kinda funny, I told them, just make room in the lot for me when I come up.:4_11_9::smileywac

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the prices John. They sound pretty good really.

You have to wonder what that dealers been smoking ....all trailers I know of will haul 1500 pounds easy.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Thanks for the prices John. They sound pretty good really.

You have to wonder what that dealers been smoking ....all trailers I know of will haul 1500 pounds easy.

Doc; I think it might be us guys. Those of us that have trailers, are pretty much used to move our tractors and other big stuff. This is a dealer in Dearborn, a pretty populated area. Most of the trailers you see there, if any, are of the snowmobile type, or the homeowner style 5X8. Either should carry 1500# like you said. And that's probably the only kind of trailer these guys are familiar with. City people, ya know? :tiphat::boobies::coolshade:beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

Take a look over at the forum of www.ridesidebyside.com
They have LOTS of info on the Rhino as well as how to accessorize (ie. the winch you're getting is a Warn).
Never heard of anyone that didn't like the Rhino but they do have their quirks that you'll want to know about.

Brian

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. I've become a member over there as well. Got a lot to learn if I wind up with this thing. :tiphat::wave::beer::beer:

bountyhunter

I have the 660 Rhino in Camo and love it. The aftermarket accessories are unbelievable. You can get really into these things if you want. I use mine mostly for hunting and plan on taking it to the mountians this spring for off trail riding and shed hunting.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"City people, ya know?"

John,

You forgot one - :5boobs: :D

A neighbor of mine has a mule...well actually 2 mules. One has 4 tires, the other has 4 legs. I rode in the one with the tires and was quite pleased. It went anywhere we tried except muddy areas - he didn't want to get it all dirty.

It is definately more than just a glorified golf cart!
(Not that there's anything wrong with a glorified golf cart...)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Rick

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys. We decided to wait till spring to buy one. Thought I'd just leave the bucks in the bank for now. I've got a Precision 165 sailboat I'll be selling then. Like new with galvanized trailer and a Honda outboard. Then get the Rhino. The Rhino I liked more than the rest. It's a bad lookin' machine, and if it's like the rest of the Yamaha line, it oughta last. Especially since I really don't plan on racing or anything like that.:a1:

One question. If you were to want to drive on roads with this, would the SMV triangle be all you'd need?:confused::tiphat::beer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think each area will have their own local laws pertaining to that. We have golf carts and ATV's on the roads daily during the summer, but none of them are legal.... But I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for driving on the road.