• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

pistenbully scout

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Not my cat, crazy story, could be fun for someone. 35k

https://denver.craigslist.org/snw/d/2011-piston-bully-scout-snow/6561998285.html
IMG_20180418_150240.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it is also on ebay.
I toured the factory in reno. John deere engine.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Geez, $35,000 will buy you a darn nice snowcat that needs nothing, or perhaps very little.

I wonder if the machine was insured and the insurance company totaled it?

To fix all the issues on the Scout properly will almost undoubtedly require a lot of time, money and skill. And if they aren't fixed properly I think it would be hard to sell. An honest seller would disclose the accident and the repairs. I just don't see much of a market for a $50K plus snowcat with what amounts to a salvage title.

I believe the PB Scout model started out as a Litefoot brand machine. Those were made in SLC for a few years by a very small shop. From what I understand, Pisten Bully bought the design and there is a non-compete clause for the former owner. There's a Litefoot for sale on ksl.com (without a blade) for a measly $90K. It's been listed there for months:

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/43502713

ssort

I have a 2013 Scout and it is an amazing rig. Not cheap to buy unless you luck out some how which i was fortunate enough to have done. Mine had a tweak to the front axle and i think that part was about 2K. So i would agree, the repair on this will not be cheap if someone is going to do it right. And it has to be 'right' or based on bent frame it's not going to track well.............My guess is the 'repair' cost will be at least as much as the seller is asking for it if not more. The hours are super low on this which does make it attractive. They are well built and easy to work on as they are very basic and as Jim notes the motor is from JD which is bomber for the most part. PB is fantastic to work with and they have been excellent to work with both via phone an via the online portal for parts detail, etc. I have not idea on resale value but Peterson's (PB dealer in UT) list them used typically at the 90 to 100K range. Hope it goes to a good home, someone will have lots of fun.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I priced them when i was at the factory about the time that one was built. 125 thousand.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As noted by B F Tucker, it would be good to talk with who ever had first hand knowledge of the accident. A roll over can leave the engine running without lubrication and bad stuff happens. Something you do not want to discover after putting big $ into the machine.

ssort

Based on the ad copy (ebay and craigslist) it looks like the rig rolled while on a trailer. I'm not sure if the motor was running or not. Certainly he could have driven off the side of the parked trailer........ If it was being towed behind a truck when it rolled at about any speed i would think that it would be a lot more damaged then it is.

In the ebay ad, the seller sure seems like he is willing to answer any question that an interested buyer might have.

Aaron Tucker

Our buddy Mike just paid 7500 for a new front axle. He hit a tree stump and bent the front axle on his scout . PB had it back to him in a week. Just the base model with no blade or passenger cab is 138k new for a Scout or 156k for a Trooper. Could be a good buy for someone that has some time and money.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Our buddy Mike just paid 7500 for a new front axle. He hit a tree stump and bent the front axle on his scout . PB had it back to him in a week. Just the base model with no blade or passenger cab is 138k new for a Scout or 156k for a Trooper. Could be a good buy for someone that has some time and money.

Holy*rap! $7,500, for an axle? Please tell me there was a lot more to the repair than an axle.

Looking at pictures the front axle on a Pisten Bully Scout is not a drive axle, meaning no differential, no gears, no drive mechanism, no sprockets. It's essentially like a trailer axle. These are often called "dead" axles. And replacing that cost seven thousand five hundred dollars? Do you happen to know the breakdown between parts and labor?

Sorry Aaron, but I'm in shock...

There's another recent thread about a Tucker with a "broken axle".

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=78490

As you know Tucker axles are drive axles, and the Dana 60 axles on that Tucker are full floating axles, so it's actually the axle housing that's broken and without looking at it I don't know if the axle shaft, hub, bearings, spindle, differential carrier ring and pinion, etc are damaged. Lubrication oil is contained within the axle housing, and with the housing being broken that oil may have leaked out. If so, and the machine was run with no lubrication for a period, that might mean replacing a bunch of parts.

The point being there's a lot more involved in a drive axle than a dead axle. My snowcat buddy and I did a lot of work to that machine and sold it six years ago (IIRC). On the one hand we don't feel responsible for the mechanical failure, which may have resulted from hitting an object (don't know the story) but we did a lot of work to the machine so "it's one of ours" and we want to help the owner out. Scott and I have offered to repair it for the cost of parts only. I just don't see, despite the increased complexity, it will cost anything like $7,500 to repair.

I'm very curious as to the details on the Pisten Bully axle repair bill, if you can share them.

ssort

I wanted to confirm the price of the front axle i bought in March of 2016. It is in fact a 'dead axle' as i have the old bent one in my yard as 'art'. I paid about 2700 Canadian for that item as that is where i had my '13 Scout serviced after i bought it in the NW Territories. The PB part number i show for that part is 8.242.006.000