• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking about a new Toyota?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Sadly, supposedly intelligent people don't realize they can turn off the key and/or shift into neutral. And these same people are permitted to vote and to reproduce.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sadly, supposedly intelligent people don't realize they can turn off the key and/or shift into neutral. And these same people are permitted to vote and to reproduce.
As I understand it it's not that simple. Folks have tried both things and for whatever reason not been successful. Makes no sense to me but neither does a car floor mat recall that the when taken away the car still accelerates. :bonk:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

No, the entire issue is coming down to a computer glitch...

The gas pedal is a rheostat, no mechanical linkage to the engine, controlled by the computer.

Key switch is on a relay system, controlled by the computer.

Shift is a set of micro switches, that the computer controls and then tells the transmission what to do.

Brakes are computer controlled as well, and if the computer doesn't activate the system you have no brakes.

Most of the cars being built both American and Foreign have the same systems.

People couldn't stop because the computer won't let them and there is no override except for some models that displayed that earlier on and the overrides were quietly installed.

Going to cost Toyota a bundle to fix this one.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wondered if Europe had the same issue with Toyotas and someone told me Europe require a part to be installed that stops fuel delivery to the engine if the gas pedal is pushed with a certain amount of pressure. The part costs approx 20 dollars.

Not sure if of the validity of this so I'm posting this in hopes to find out if this is anywhere close to true.

Anyone know if other countries are having the same issues or is this only in the US of A?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I wondered if Europe had the same issue with Toyota's and someone told me Europe require a part to be installed that stops fuel delivery to the engine if the gas pedal is pushed with a certain amount of pressure. The part costs approx 20 dollars.

Not sure if of the validity of this so I'm posting this in hopes to find out if this is anywhere close to true.

Anyone know if other countries are having the same issues or is this only in the US of A?

I think our lawyers are more vicious when it comes to going after the throat, ads are already on TV asking if you or a loved one were attacked by a Toyota... if so, call now!

There is a few fixes they can do, and the floor mats and a piece of steel behind the gas pedal isn't them.

I just bought a 2010 Rav4 in November, but it was built in Japan and is not part of the recall as of yet. I am putting a "Panic" button on the system that will kill the fuel flow to the engine if it is needed. The relay is not in-line with the computer system and there can't be power coming from elsewhere because of the diode bridge. If the relay supply power is broken from the switch, the engine dies...

As a point of humor, thought about getting one of those big "Panic Buttons" and making that the relay control on the dash...:brows:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I think our lawyers are more vicious when it comes to going after the throat, ads are already on TV asking if you or a loved one were attacked by a Toyota... if so, call now!

There is a few fixes they can do, and the floor mats and a piece of steel behind the gas pedal isn't them.

I just bought a 2010 Rav4 in November, but it was built in Japan and is not part of the recall as of yet. I am putting a "Panic" button on the system that will kill the fuel flow to the engine if it is needed. The relay is not in-line with the computer system and there can't be power coming from elsewhere because of the diode bridge. If the relay supply power is broken from the switch, the engine dies...

As a point of humor, thought about getting one of those big "Panic Buttons" and making that the relay control on the dash...:brows:
I envy yoos guyz who know about how today's cars work. All I know is that I call Hans when something goes wrong, and he fixes it right the first time.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I can shift my Prius to neutral and hold the power button for 3 seconds and it shuts off. Test both every week. I also think they need the big old Emergency Stop button like we had on all CNC machines since the 70's. Hit the button and all power is cut and you stop with manual brakes.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
No, the entire issue is coming down to a computer glitch...

The gas pedal is a rheostat, no mechanical linkage to the engine, controlled by the computer.

Key switch is on a relay system, controlled by the computer.

Shift is a set of micro switches, that the computer controls and then tells the transmission what to do.

Brakes are computer controlled as well, and if the computer doesn't activate the system you have no brakes.

Most of the cars being built both American and Foreign have the same systems.

People couldn't stop because the computer won't let them and there is no override except for some models that displayed that earlier on and the overrides were quietly installed.

Going to cost Toyota a bundle to fix this one.

I suspected from the first that it was a computer problem. Seems to me that it would be a problem only with automatic transmissions, though. Is that correct?

loboloco

System is called "fly by wire". Computer or software glitches are death on these. Witness all the F-16's that have fallen out of the sky. Same basic prob.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah even the heavy equipment companies are going to it for excavators and dozers,graders etc. Great when it works but a PITA when it screws up. We are being overwhelmed by our own technology in many aspects of our lives. A simple fuel efficient vehicle with a simple heater and tunes is all i really need. Most of the other stuff in the 700 page manual never gets used!!!:hammer:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I can shift my Prius to neutral and hold the power button for 3 seconds and it shuts off. Test both every week. I also think they need the big old Emergency Stop button like we had on all CNC machines since the 70's. Hit the button and all power is cut and you stop with manual brakes.

As long as the computer program is working properly, that will work every time. If the program goes "Bozo", all that is bypassed.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You could install a switch between line voltage and the fuel pumps, and a contactor between the batteries and the electric motor.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Or, you could just NOT buy a Toyota... :flowers:
With the price of gas I would gladly buy a GM if they got the mileage of the Prius. I have owned GM trucks for years but up here with it being 52 miles one way to the hospital I need fuel economy. My new one has 16,000 miles in 9 months plus the miles we run the 2 trucks when the weather is bad. 50-52 MPG is my reason for buying it.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
We can do that much with our TDi VWs. AND- They don't have $10k worth of toxic batteries that need replacement every few years...

(Or psychotic computer systems that will kill you. :doh:)