• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Military Service

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So we have an idea as it's beneficial to know in so many ways, chime in if you served in the military.

Myself, USMC 1982-86. Semper Fidelis!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
Ditto. Same place. Same time.
Ahhh, that's not me under a second signon... CB(F) and I have already covered this trail.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
AFROTC 1989-90.

Probably doesn't count. :smileywac

Military and me didn't get along, so I got out before it caused problems for both of us.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
U wuz a winger weren't ya BC?
Yea, but don't hold it against me...

Larry - which helicopters did you work on? I worked on some Vietnam era Cobra attack helicopters (as well as the new ones).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Us "wingers" didn't have to to the 5:00 am wakeups, marches all over (for no reason), cruised around in helicopters instead of humping it...

Cityboy

Banned
LarryRB said:
Who had it made in swing wings?:eek:

It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. Greener grass and all that. From where the rest of us jarheads stood the winger life looked pretty darned good to us. :tiphat: :D :coolshade :drink: :beer:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
AFFitness13 said:
USAF Jul 30, 2002-current day. I am following in my parents footsteps. The member known as Nixon is my dad.

Thank you, and all the rest of you, for your service to our country and making it possible for me to be here and free to thank you. :tiphat:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
1/70-5/70 USN reserve, 5/70-5/74 USN regular, 5/74-5/78. USN reserve again.:coolshade :beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AFF,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had the pleasure of meeting/seeing your Dad a couple times. As Dad's go, you got a good one.

It's funny that on each time we parted, a plane inevitably flew over. Your Dad and I always (instinctively) looked to the sky. That led to another 30 minute discussion about the military and their aircraft.

Thanks for your service!!!

Brian

AFFitness13

Dargo, thank you very much for those comforting words. It feels like there aren't alot of supporters anymore. Well with the exception of family. We have protesters here at our base all the time. I hear all of these bad things on the news and it just feels like I am wasting my time sometimes. So thank you very much. It means alot to hear that. And you are very welcome.
bczoom, thank you, I think he is a good dad to. yeah he still does it. You should have seen him when he was on Lackland for my basic training graduation. He would hear a plane take off or land and name it. It was funny. and like I said to Dargo, thank you and you are welcome.

Tina Carolynn

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AFF, I also tip my hat to you. Thanks for serving! :tiphat:

I was in the Navy at the end of the Vietnam conflict (it was not a declared war at that time ....I'm not sure if it was ever declared a war).

JohnDay, I might have passed you on the Atlantic or pacific. I crossed both of them in the early 70's. On a ammo supply ship. The lonely Bull - USS Butte AE 27.

AFF, the time I was in was much like this in the respect that we had to deal with the demonstrators. Thank God we were allowed liberty without having to wear our uniform. I didn't want to deal with the hassle you'd get out in public in uniform. It sucked. But, afterward I found out how many truly appreciated our service. I do believe that is even more so the case now. You'll see demonstrators against the war. But the vast majority of them will support you and your fellow servicemen. They just want to be heard, and not encourage the current administrations actions. Try not to take it personal, though, I know all to well from experience that is hard to do.

Glad you joined up here, and glad you made the decision to server our country. It will make you a better man all the way around, I know it did me.

OkeeDon

We have protesters here at our base all the time. I hear all of these bad things on the news and it just feels like I am wasting my time sometimes.
No one on this forum is stronger in their belief that our entry into this war was a mistake. However, that is not the troop's fault. It wasn't their fault in Vietnam, and it's not their fault in Iraq. The protesters are barking up the wrong tree. You and the rest of the troops are doing the job you were asked to do, and you are doing it better than anyone could expect.

I never got a chance to serve; the draft board doctor found my lungs were in too bad shape, and I was declared unfit.

AFFitness13

Doc thank you. And thank you all for your time. Some of it I was not around. But thank you very much. My dad (Nixon) got me into watching the history channel and to see what you guys went through. Thank you. I have been deployed 2 times, and it wasn't even a deployment. It was a retreat away from home. But thank you all for serving, and your very kind words of hope and inspiration.
Tina

LarryRB

OkeeDon said:
No one on this forum is stronger in their belief that our entry into this war was a mistake. However, that is not the troop's fault. It wasn't their fault in Vietnam, and it's not their fault in Iraq. The protesters are barking up the wrong tree. You and the rest of the troops are doing the job you were asked to do, and you are doing it better than anyone could expect.

I never got a chance to serve; the draft board doctor found my lungs were in too bad shape, and I was declared unfit.

Don,
I'll tell you, politically we will probably never agree to agree or disagree on anything. I will say on your behalf, this is finally some nice words of wisdom and I hope Nixon's son understands this, which, I am sure he will. Two of 3 1/2 tours in VN myself flying Hueys.. Might not have been the right thing or right place to be, but, out politicians and then countrymen sold us down the tubes in a heartbeat.. I hope not to see this type action ever again...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Tina (AFF);
Well I messed up. I assumed you were a man, and said that serving would make a better man out of you. OPPS! Sorry about that. I think you got the jest of the statement. :)
Is AFHooRA a friend of yours? You both joined around the same time, so I made the assumption your friends.
Have a good one,
Doc

AFFitness13

It is okay to assume I am a male. I will forgive you this time ;) . Yeah I knew what you meant out of the statement. AFhooRA is my husband. he joined one week after I did. Basic was interesting to say the least. We were in the same squadrons, just dorms apart.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That does make it handy! Welcome both of you to FF. Glad you joined here, and thanks to you and your husband for serving in this crazy time.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Viking said:
US Navy, Submarine Service, 1982-89

No military service for me. I fell into the age group when there was no draft, Viet Nam was ending. Military runs deep in the family on both sides.

My reason for posting here is not to admit I didn't go, but to say that I've had the privledge of being on a US Submarine once for a tour, and I've also been on a newly refurbished German WWII submarine and I have to say that duty on a submarine would scare the living crap out of me. I think it takes a special bravery to work on a sub. Kudos to Viking for doing it for 7 years. :tiphat:

AFFitness13

Doc thank you and I am glad to have joined. Thank you , and you are welcome.

I have to agree with you BSkurka. I have also been on a Sub once, I couldn't do it. I could not live on that itty bitty thing for months at a time. So thank you for having to do that.

Viking

Site Supporter
Thanks Bob and AF for the kind words, it was my pleasure.:tiphat: Here are a few shots of my old boat, USS Narwhal SSN 671.

Attachments

• ssn-671-pic-s.jpg
    ssn-671-pic-s.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 353
  • ssn671-300-s.jpg
    ssn671-300-s.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 244
  • ssn-671-atyou-s.jpg
    ssn-671-atyou-s.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 239