• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I need experianced help.

Front Wheel Drive ..Wants to build a personal tracked vehickel.He likes the 601 usaf track wheels set up ,or I have seen one called Rat track, type. My plan is to ,,Make a frame ,use five torque flex axels up front, and use a ordinary three quarter ton diff .at the rear .Whear can I find a sprocket to fit the axel hubs, that will drive the tracks.I think 2000 LB torque flex axels ,or is that to stiff,I dont know how much engine I will need .i thought v6 and auto trans. Then for the cab I thought ,just take for instance ,a ford ranger truck ,strip the cab and box of the frame and set it up on top the track drive system.That way One has all the esentals needed like cab glass heater wipers exetra.I can get three eights thick belting . that I can make the tracks out of.And I would use two master cyl for the brake steer.Has anyone ever tried this ,and can tell me if this will work.Plese feel free to share any expeiriance .

Your best bet would be to find a Thiokol 2100 and strip it down to the frame and already have the flex axels, wheel assemblies, controllable differential, sprockets and tracks. You can find the 2100 for well under $5000 in good running condition and I have seen them for as low as $1000. The motors and transmissions are also bullet proof although usually gas.

To piece together all that from scratch will set you back big bucks and a lot of engineering/fabrication time and I doubt any major improvements. The axels are about $1000 a piece the last time I checked and that was 10 years ago.

Just my friendly advice.

Laurentian

Am in the same school of thought, way easier to restore than build from ground up unless you are a student still living at home or have ideal circumstances.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Front wheel drive, I had the same thought years ago about the truck rear. It may work for a while depending on what you are doing with it. The speed doubles when you lock one side thru the spider gears which are most likely the weakest link.
I have a 2100 chassis(stripped down) with axles i had started to do the same idea with a rebuilt oc-12 ,sprockets and tracks . im missing the front axle,but have all the track adjusters and other pieces. This would speed up your build and cut down on fabrication process. Let me know if this is something you might be interested in.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the thiokol 2100 differential uses a set of planatery gears that shift down to turn i know of a buddy of mine did just what you suggested with a 14 bolt gm axle and a streight line was a series of s turns as the differential is constantly shifting power from one side to the other. and also costant use of teh breake he abandonded it for a weasel if you want a cheap axle to do this with look for an old m29 weasel those diffs are 2 speed and quite bullet proof and nrmaly a weasel can be bought compleate real cheep the other plus is that they are quite small about the same size as an imp or bombi so you don't need to make a monster cat

Thiokol2track I clicked on your name,and sent a message .I was wondering if you got it. I would like to see pictures of what you have ,why is the front axel missing.Is engine and trany their, cab.Whear is ma.I am in Manitoba.Canada.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thiokol2track I clicked on your name,and sent a message .I was wondering if you got it. I would like to see pictures of what you have ,why is the front axel missing.Is engine and trany their, cab.Whear is ma.I am in Manitoba.Canada.

no message . engine and trans are not there. Like i said its stripped down.
im in Ma . Is Massachusetts.
I feel you could get a complete cat for what it would cost to ship something that large to Manitoba. :unsure:

Yes I think it would probly be better if I was going that rout to have all the working parts,as I dont know how har it is to find parts for a thiokol 2100.What are you asking for the parts you have.

What are the mesurments of a thiokol 2100. Width, length , hight..weight.Does anyone no of a good used one for sale.What is the differance between a C and a B in the models.

Attachments

• 540 cat.jpg
    540 cat.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 330

the old trucker

the thiokol 2100 differential uses a set of planatery gears that shift down to turn i know of a buddy of mine did just what you suggested with a 14 bolt gm axle and a streight line was a series of s turns as the differential is constantly shifting power from one side to the other. and also costant use of teh breake he abandonded it for a weasel if you want a cheap axle to do this with look for an old m29 weasel those diffs are 2 speed and quite bullet proof and nrmaly a weasel can be bought compleate real cheep the other plus is that they are quite small about the same size as an imp or bombi so you don't need to make a monster cat

Don, would it work better if he had a limited slip in that 14 bolt axle ??? Just wondering...I know of people that put them into Bombardiers like the B12 & it seems to work OK.

If it is hydrostatic then it would be a 3700,3500 or I think there was a 250 that looked similar. I owned a 3700 that had a turbo diesel engine and hydrostatic transmission and they have a slightly different hood than this one. They are all good snowcats and if that one is in mechanically good shape then $5000 would be a fair price.

If it is hydrostatic then it would be a 3700,3500 or I think there was a 250 that looked similar. I owned a 3700 that had a turbo diesel engine and hydrostatic transmission and they have a slightly different hood than this one. They are all good snowcats and if that one is in mechanically good shape then $5000 would be a fair price.
Can You please help me with this machine .I found out that it is a 2100 B 391 v8 c6 trans .What kinds of problems do they have ,It is 12ft 3in wide ,57 in tracks ,one needs a wide trail to travel on or have to cut the track down.Oh and the prairies somtimes doesnt get much snow , one to two feet in the open ereas and often hard.Will the tracks that are on this machine give a problem if their wasn't lots of snow.And other question. I found nod well flex track.in bush I would like to put pictures on and ask questions ,like what kind of diff does it have ,are parts availible.I dont know how to put the pictures from my computer to this site.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Click on the paper clip next to the smiley above the message window. This will open a window to manage attachments. Select browse and go to the pics on your computer. Select one and it returns back one window. You hit the next browse button and select the next one. When finished hit up load. As long as you have 2 characters of text just finish posting. You may also reselect the paper clip and select the pic and then finish.

Can anyone help me with this nodwell flextrack. I put three pictures. How do I know whear they went.

What does two characters of text mean, then finish posting,I am not doing somthing right.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Shoot me a pm when you get back on. I should be here off and on tonight.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is where the paper clip is located.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 152

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is right at the top of the window when you click on reply to post. Look at the page it posted. Where it highlighted "attachments".

I finaly found the reply to post tab, and followed instructions ,I think the biggest problem is I dont understand most of these computer terms. Every time press upload it does the dounload and then tells me it faild it doesn't say why.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my guesss is the pic needs to be resized to a smaller file i use ms picture manager and resize to a web page posting. as for that 2100 i was looking at it too it apears to be in good shape but held out for one that was diesel powered as at 6 bucks a gallon for gas i was afraid of how much that big block ford was going to consume.

Your best bet would be to find a Thiokol 2100 and strip it down to the frame and already have the flex axels, wheel assemblies, controllable differential, sprockets and tracks. You can find the 2100 for well under $5000 in good running condition and I have seen them for as low as $1000. The motors and transmissions are also bullet proof although usually gas.

To piece together all that from scratch will set you back big bucks and a lot of engineering/fabrication time and I doubt any major improvements. The axels are about $1000 a piece the last time I checked and that was 10 years ago.

Just my friendly advice.
I have sent a couple of pm messages to you I was wundering if you got them .I sent on 17 oct.