• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

America in Color from 1939-1943

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I love old photos of anything. These are awesome.

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

Here's an example. There are many more to view here.

color017.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG.jpg

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some of the dresses the girls were wearing were homemade from chicken feed sacks. My mother made dresses for my sister and herself, first by hand, then later on a treadle sewing machine. When dad and I went for feed, mom sent along swatches from sacks, along with a note as to how many of each print she needed. I can remember sacks stacked 20 high along a wall, all different. Most of the time, the one we needed was on the bottom, and the pile was taken down till we got the right ones. You didn't come home empty handed or with the wrong pattern. If I remember, Mcalls had patterns specifically designed for feed sacks.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great find PG.
Amazing pics. They do tell a story.
and one thing that jumped out at me is how skinny the kids and the adults were compared to how we are today. :eek:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Some of the dresses the girls were wearing were homemade from chicken feed sacks. My mother made dresses for my sister and herself, first by hand, then later on a treadle sewing machine. When dad and I went for feed, mom sent along swatches from sacks, along with a note as to how many of each print she needed. I can remember sacks stacked 20 high along a wall, all different. Most of the time, the one we needed was on the bottom, and the pile was taken down till we got the right ones. You didn't come home empty handed or with the wrong pattern. If I remember, Mcalls had patterns specifically designed for feed sacks.
I also remember those feed sacks and the colorful dresses mom made with them. They had different prints for different seasons also.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Interesting pictures from Robstwon TX and Rutland Vt. Have family from Robstwon; was thru there last year. Been to Rutland on a fall colors vacation from New Milford Ct on up H7 to Woodstock Vt. That area near Rutland is gorgeous in fall colors.

mhend

I love these, PG. I have always loved photos from that era, but I don't think I have seen any in color before. Thanks for sharing it!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Good find, Peanut Buttah!

It's always amusing to see how far we've come... innit?

Amazing how some people don't care how they look (or smell) or behave in public.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
It really is sad how things are today . Its to bad there were no reality type tv shows back then that could be watched today by the newer generations .

I know stupid idea but much like the old familly shows I still enjoy watching people these days wouldn,t even consider watching them . You just cant help people that cant nor want to help theirselves . :sad: