• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC 1200 Over Heating

cleary

We have a LMC 1200 that over heats, expecially when climbing hills. We use it for trail grooming. Some time ago I found a web site that indicated that this is a known problem and listed several fixes. I've lost track of this site and wonder if any one knows anything about this problem.

Thanks,

Chuck

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Chuck,
Welcome to the forums! I do not know if this being a known problem but I would do the following. If the unit did not over heat before then you should start to go through the entire cooling system one piece at a time.

1. Have the radiator flushed and boiled out. If it did not cool enough from the factory then go with a 3 or 4 core design.

2. Replace the thermostat with a new one that has the smae opening temp.

3. Use new radiator fluid with a 60/40 ratio of anti freeze to distilled water. Also use water wetter and a water pump lubricant. I believe Royal Purple sells a water wetter.

4. You may need to also go to a high output water pump.

5. while you are at it replace all the hoses with silicon hoses if you can find them. If not stock ones will work just fine. Replace once every two seasons (unless they are silicon). Especially the lower hose since no one remembers to replace that.

6. Install some electric fans that are thermostatically activated on the radiator. Summit Racing has great fans!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Chuck,
...I don't have the answer for you, but ...
I'm glad that refresh of your account worked. Good to see you posting. :thumb:

Enjoy and post often. :D

Snowcat Pat

I've worked on this problem many times. first the cooling system must be in proper working order, the tips that SnoOps mentioned. Ater that, the important things are a big NON-FLEX radiator fan Ford number C5AZ-8600A is a good choice, and most important is the FAN SHROUD, including a ring of sheet metal 1-2 inches wide around the circumference of the fan with no more than 1/2 inch clearance to the blades. I can't emphasize this enough. -A Properly Fitted Fan Shroud. Then use belting or such to block the hot air that goes around the grill and back into the radiator. Its all about air flow. Sometimes I will bend the fan blades to a little more angle for even more air PRESSURE.
-Pat

cleary

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll try the water wetter first and go from there.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
and most important is the FAN SHROUD, including a ring of sheet metal 1-2 inches wide around the circumference of the fan with no more than 1/2 inch clearance to the blades. I can't emphasize this enough. -A Properly Fitted Fan Shroud.

It does make a huge difference!!