• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Did Shakespeare Smoke Weed? Let's Dig Him Up and Find Out

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a hard time understanding what the heck he was saying in his plays ...I wonder if this had something to do with the way he wrote, if it's true.

Did Shakespeare Smoke Weed? Let's Dig Him Up and Find Out

To dig, or not to dig? That's the latest question.

Paleontologists are looking to examine the remains of William Shakespeare, hoping to unlock the mysteries of the life and death of the world's most famous playwright -- and to prove that the poet once puffed.

The bard is buried under a local church in Stratford-upon-Avon. And a team of scientists, led by Francis Thackeray -- an anthropologist and director of the Institute for Human Evolution at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa -- have submitted a formal application to the Church of England for permission to probe the site where he sleeps, perchance where he dreams.

Safely, of course.

“We have incredible techniques,” Thackeray told FoxNews.com, referring to the “nondestructive analysis” the team has planned. “We don’t intend to move the remains at all.” Instead the team will perform the forensic analysis using state-of-the-art technology to scan the bones and create a groundbreaking reconstruction.

The first job is to confirm the playwright’s identity, Thackeray said.

"We’ll have to establish the age and gender of the individual," he told FoxNews.com. The team also plans DNA tests for not only Shakespeare, but also the remains of his wife and sister, also buried at the Holy Trinity Church.

For Thackeray, the next priority is solving the longstanding mystery of Shakespeare’s final days. “We would like to find out the cause of death, which is not known historically.”

If all goes well, he believes the research could ultimately establish a full health history and build a picture of the kind of life the writer led. “Growth increments in the teeth will reveal if he went through periods of stress or illness -- a plague for example, which killed many people in the 1600s," Thackeray explained.

The team also looks to address a controversial suggestion Thackeray made a decade ago, when he examined a collection of two dozen pipes found in the playwright’s garden and determined that Shakespeare was an avid marijuana smoker.

Thackeray claimed the devices were used to smoke cannabis, a plant actively cultivated in Britain at the time. The allegation has provoked disbelief and anger among some fans of the bard.

Prof. Stanley Wells, honorary president of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, told the Daily Mail, "I would be happy if they did open it up because it could put an end to a lot of fruitless speculation."

“If we find grooves between the canine and the incisor, that will tell us if he was chewing on a pipe as well as smoking,” Thackeray told FoxNews.com, citing similar evidence found in Virginia.

Others may have issues with digging up the body, which goes directly against the late playwright's dying wishes. Shakespeare, famously fearful of the happenings of his own remains after his death, had a curse engraved on his tomb:

"Good frend for Jesus sake forebeare,/ To digg the dust encloased heare;/ Bleste be the man that spares thes stones,/ And curst be he that moves my bones."

Philip Schwyzer, a senior lecturer at Exeter University, told Reuters that "Shakespeare had an unusual obsession with burial and a fear of exhumation. The stern inscription on the slab has been at least partially responsible for the fact that there have been no successful projects to open the grave."

That all may change, however -- assuming the Church goes along with the unusual request.

entire article: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/23/did-shakespeare-smoke-weed/

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if he smoked weed or not, but I was quite disappointed in my advanced Shakespeare class to learn that he played the skin flute.:doh:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I can't see that it matters whether he smoked weed or not, what does it matter?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if he smoked weed or not, but I was quite disappointed in my advanced Shakespeare class to learn that he played the skin flute.:doh:
He did???? :eek: I never knew that.

Queenie, I agree, it does not matter but with bob's marijuana post today this caught my eye and I thought it wild but interesting. His plays seem over the top to me and I needed an interpreter / cliff notes to understand them when I had to read them in college. It was not fun. I thought this might help explain that .... or I'm simply not adapt to Shakespeare lingo.

Plus, he put on curse on anyone who would mess with his bones. Who would've guessed that? All new to me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Say it ain't so!!
Gawd and after all those years feeling so romantic and inspired over his sonnets!
Our Lit teacher (who was a nun) warned us... before we studied The Bard, that he had a filthy mind.:yum:

He did???? :eek: I never knew that.

Plus, he put on curse on anyone who would mess with his bones. Who would've guessed that? All new to me.

Sounds like he liked to mess with bones himself..:whistling:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Didn't like Shakespear at school, boring! Perhaps I should have been on the weed and then maybe it would have appealed to me.............

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Say it ain't so!!
Gawd and after all those years feeling so romantic and inspired over his sonnets!

I totally memorized his 18th Sonnet and, my girlfriend at the time, would just melt as I recited it to her. Now to know that it was written as the Bard of Avon was thinking of a young lad just kills it for me. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google his 18th Sonnet. I think it's beautiful....if you can forget that he's speaking it to a young man.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I totally memorized his 18th Sonnet and, my girlfriend at the time, would just melt as I recited it to her. Now to know that it was written as the Bard of Avon was thinking of a young lad just kills it for me. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google his 18th Sonnet. I think it's beautiful....if you can forget that he's speaking it to a young man.
I guess we all know what he was referring to as 'the darling buds of May' .. :yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Read Sonnet 29 knowing what you now know. Em, it kills it for me. :glare:

Yup, takes on an entire different meaning now..

Damn you Shakespeare, how I once loved thee!
:hammer::hammer::yum:

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.