• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Preen or other weed preventative?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While we plant a large garden, one thing we HATE to do is weed it.

Has anyone had any success using the anti-germination spreads like PREEN or MIRACLE GROW WEED PREVENTER in their gardens? Apparently you spread them around your veggie plants before the weeds actually germinate. They work (or are supposed to work) by stopping seeds from sprouting. Obviously you can't plant your vegetable seeds directly into the garden and then use these products because they will prevent your veggies from sprouting too.

If you haven't used these, what method do you use to keep the weeds at bay?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just tried it this year. Started everything in the mini-greenhouse and planted it and then preened the ground. No weeds in the last week!

;)

I did plant a row of lettuce and just tried to spread the preen around the row. I noticed the lettuce has been coming up already. I wasn't too worried if it worked or not.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yeah, I used preen around the exterior house garden areas and my small tree nursery for the last two years and it works well there. This was the first year I've tried it in the veggie garden.

It's a god send for us people that hate to weed. I do one big weeding right around now and then send out the preen. One good shot of preen keeps the weeds out until mid-july when the weeds aren't that vigorous anymore.

I'm a fan but I'm also an big fan of Round-up, 24D, and all other garden chemicals that make my life easier.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used the Preen around my potatoes this year. Potatoes are on their way up but so is a lot of weeds. I also used the Preen in a lot of shrub/flower areas and the weeds are on their way up. In the past I have had good luck with Preen but not this year.

If it was not so windy I was going to get my hand sprayer out and hit the weeds with Roundup but thirty mile an hour gusts I just didn't think it was so good.

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
If you haven't used these, what method do you use to keep the weeds at bay?

Cultivation and weeding. Cultivation and weeding. Weeding and cultivation. Weeding and cultivation. Cultivation and weeding. Weeding and cultivation.:whistle:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
REDDOGTWO said:
Cultivation and weeding. Cultivation and weeding. Weeding and cultivation. Weeding and cultivation. Cultivation and weeding. Weeding and cultivation.:whistle:

I have a cultivator for the tractor, figured to give it a workout this year, but even using that, it doesn't get up close.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob,

As you know the Preen thing didn't work for me. But I am seriously thinking of taking a glass and putting over my potatoe plants as they are small enough to do that and then taking Roundup and spraying everything else. The glass would prevent the Roundup from getting to the potatoe plant. It is my understanding that Roundup gets to the root via the vine or plant?? Otherwise I have large thistles that I can dig up today and tommorrow they are already back and it is driving me crazy.

Just looking for your thoughts.

murph

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Round Up is a "systemic" herbicide, it must come into direct contact with the plant to kill it. So covering the plants with a glass, as you describe, would protect them.

Round Up is claimed to become 'inert' in the soil after a day or two (I don't recall the specifics) and it will not prevent weed growth from seed. Round Up (at least the traditional mix) needs to get onto the leaf or a porous/permeable portion of the stem of the plant and dry there for it to work.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
that is all kind of what I thought. At least the big thistles I could get rid of them this way and the new little ones would be easy to keep up with.

Thanks Bob,

murph

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never done it, but many people will use a small sponge or a small rag that is attached to the end of a stick. They carry a bucket of Round Up, dip the stick into the bucket and dab the weeds with herbicide.

It is supposed to work well and you don't need to mix up a large batch of weed killer. All the weed killer goes right onto the plants, no fear of overspray killing the veggies or flowers, and virtually none of it gets into the soil either.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
B_Skurka said:
I've never done it, but many people will use a small sponge or a small rag that is attached to the end of a stick. They carry a bucket of Round Up, dip the stick into the bucket and dab the weeds with herbicide.

It is supposed to work well and you don't need to mix up a large batch of weed killer. All the weed killer goes right onto the plants, no fear of overspray killing the veggies or flowers, and virtually none of it gets into the soil either.

I have done that many times. Crab grass is a tough one around here and I take a sponge to it. It grows faster than grass so it is easy to do.

murph