• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is Congress going to act on marijuana legalization?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Under the Obama administration the Attorney General's office chose not to enforce federal marijuana laws.

Numerous states 'legalized' pot for various uses, and those ranged from recreation to medical. The federal laws were still in place, banks could not accept pot profits, there were many hurdles that still existed but 'legal' pot markets flourished in many states. Tax revenues on the newly legalized market reached billions annually.

Then comes along Jeff Sessions. Sessions said that the federal law is still the law of the land and he would reverse the prior administration's policy, essentially making it illegal again.

Was it Session's desire to throw the job of marijuana legalization back to Congress where it belongs? Or is Sessions just an old fudd who wants to jail people with glaucoma, cancer or PTSD that use pot to relieve their problems?

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE>>> https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...rijuana-legalization-congress-216251?lo=ap_e1
Did Jeff Sessions Just Increase the Odds Congress Will Make Marijuana Legal?
The attorney general has created intolerable uncertainty for a growing industry that is now demanding legal protections from Congress. And lawmakers are listening.

Susan B. GlasserJanuary 06, 2018

When Jeff Sessions announced Thursday morning he had removed the barrier that had held back federal prosecutors from pursuing marijuana cases in states that had made pot legal, he delivered on something he had all but promised when he was nominated as attorney general. Most of the marijuana world saw it coming, but they freaked out anyway.

A fund of marijuana-based stocks dropped more than 9 percent in value and, as a sign of how mainstream marijuana has become, Sessions’ decision to repeal the Cole memo, an Obama-era protection for states that have legalized marijuana, even affected the stock price of Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, which dropped more than 5 percent. Business leaders in an industry that was worth $7.9 billion in 2017, called Sessions’ action revoking “outrageous” and “economically stupid.”

Capitol Hill screamed just as loudly. And it wasn’t just the Democratic members of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus. It was Republican senators, too. Cory Gardner of Colorado took the Senate floor to issue an ultimatum to Sessions: “I will be putting a hold on every single nomination from the Department of Justice until Attorney General Jeff Sessions lives up to the commitment he made to me in my pre-confirmation meeting with him. The conversation we had that was specifically about this issue of states’ rights in Colorado ... Gardner is no fringe Republican; he’s the chair of the NRSC.

...Nancy Pelosi, who issued a blistering statement against Sessions, saying that she would push for an amendment in the new spending bill to protect states that had legalized not just medical marijuana but recreational use too, a move that could make ongoing budget negotiations much more tense.

Thursday may well turn out to be a pivotal moment in the marijuana industry’s evolution as a political force. Nearly 70 percent of Americans believe in some form of legalized marijuana, but does the nascent industry have the sway to rewrite nearly 50 years of federal drug policy?...
Full story is at the link above.

Oddly enough, I did not see any commentary from the snack food industry. I figured the stock of Frito-Lay would drop too. Hmmm?

As a libertarian I am all in favor of legalizing marijuana. I've never smoked it. Don't care to start. But sometimes the laws we have are beyond silly and enter the realm of really really stupid. Such is the case with some of our drug laws.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Under the Obama administration the Attorney General's office chose not to enforce federal marijuana laws.

Numerous states 'legalized' pot for various uses, and those ranged from recreation to medical. The federal laws were still in place, banks could not accept pot profits, there were many hurdles that still existed but 'legal' pot markets flourished in many states. Tax revenues on the newly legalized market reached billions annually.

Then comes along Jeff Sessions. Sessions said that the federal law is still the law of the land and he would reverse the prior administration's policy, essentially making it illegal again.

Was it Session's desire to throw the job of marijuana legalization back to Congress where it belongs? Or is Sessions just an old fudd who wants to jail people with glaucoma, cancer or PTSD that use pot to relieve their problems?

Full story is at the link above.

Oddly enough, I did not see any commentary from the snack food industry. I figured the stock of Frito-Lay would drop too. Hmmm?

As a libertarian I am all in favor of legalizing marijuana. I've never smoked it. Don't care to start. But sometimes the laws we have are beyond silly and enter the realm of really really stupid. Such is the case with some of our drug laws.

Sessions needs to enforce the law. That's what DOJ does.

Congress needs to change the law. That's what Congress does.

Same for immigration laws.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never smoked it. Don't care to start. But sometimes the laws we have are beyond silly and enter the realm of really really stupid. Such is the case with some of our drug laws.

We mostly agree ... but not completely.

The "War on Drugs", as far as I can see, has been a complete failure.

It's not up to the DOJ or the President to make laws. All I can see that Sessions is doing is throwing it back in the lap of Congress by saying, "You think that it is a bad law, then fix it", much as the President did with DACA. We all saw how that turned out. That's still on the agenda of our "do nothing" Government.

Like you, I've never used it and I'm 'way too old to start but I'm conflicted on its use. I have an acquaintance who benefits from it or so he says. In fact he uses so much of it that he hasn't really made sense in years. :smile: I think that there probably is a place for medical marijuana, recreational marijuana ... not so much but I'm willing to be convinced. Perhaps I should think of it more along the lines of alcohol.

I'm also confused by the cigarettes are bad but pot is good argument. To me you are still drawing smoke in to your body with all that entails so the two should be equivalent. As I said, "I'm conflicted".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with you Bob 100%.
Sessions seemed like a class act from all I saw of him before becoming attorney general. Since becoming AG he has made, what I would consider, quite a few moves that do not seem to be in the best interest of the president.

Why hasn't he jumped on to all the law breaking that has filled the news about Hillary and the FBI? Why hasn't he taken action against those cities and states that are thumbing their nose at our country's rules with sanctuary cities and states? Why did he recuse himself from the Russian investigation and allow the special prosecutor to be appointed to dig into all that is Trump?

The marijuana issue is also about enforcing the federal law but why he chose that to jump on seems suspicious to me. I have used marijuana and do not believe it to be a gateway drug any more than alcohol, tobacco or some other drugs (both over the counter and prescription). I do not believe this move by Sessions will nudge Congress to legalize Mary Jane. Ain't gonna happen. Alcohol and Tobacco lobbyists will fight it tooth and nail. They don't want another legal option that might draw people away from their products.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
... edit... Or is Sessions just an old fudd who wants to jail people with glaucoma, cancer or PTSD that use pot to relieve their problems?....

Well, the little secret that the people pushing "medical" usage don't want you to know, is that REAL medical pot does NOT get you stoned.

REAL medical marijuana is a PILL that contains Marinol, the THC has been removed.

"Marinol differs from the crude plant marijuana because it consists of one pure, well-studied, FDA-approved pharmaceutical (Marinol) in stable known dosages.

When you see people smoking MJ and referring to it as "medical", they are (wink wink) blowin smoke up your azz.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I believe all the pro MJ states are seeing nothing but $$ via taxes. The congress needs to throw this to the states but reassure them they will get no federal help for problems caused by recreational MJ down the road. If marinol is free of THC then it might be a big help in the opioid(sp) crisis as a pain reliever which big pharma will fight. Like most things today, in the end this will leave a lot of unhappy people no matter which side they are on.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I too never used weed, always preferred to murder what few brain cells I have left with alcohol.

I do not believe it should be legalized. I believe in some form it should be legal to help the folks that need it with medical issues. How that is done is above my pay grade.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In response to Sessions, Vermont has just voted to legalize pot in defiance of federal law.

It might be nice to get this voted on in the House & Senate and let them decide if it will be legalized or if Sessions and the Justice Department will prevail and clamp down.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Marijuana. Wanna see an example of the results? G to youtube and search "Springer love up in smoke".
The funniest damn thing I ever saw on tv, but all that's left of the entire segment, about 3 minutes, is on youtube.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
In response to Sessions, Vermont has just voted to legalize pot in defiance of federal law.

It might be nice to get this voted on in the House & Senate and let them decide if it will be legalized or if Sessions and the Justice Department will prevail and clamp down.

The Governor who is a R said he will not veto it after saying he would not sign any MJ law into effect until there was a method in place for the Highway Patrol to test for it like for alcohol. He is a first class RHINO at best and a first class liar at the very least.

So now on top of the friggin worthless drunks, crack heads and text messaging ass wipes on the road, we now get to add more pot heads to the mix. All this facilitated by the phony liberals who are always willing to talk your ear off on how much they love and cherish the little guy. And people have the gall to ask me why I despise lefties so much.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
As for the states and MJ law, let them attend the school of hard knocks. It's a tough school but you remember every lesson and test!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• DrunksRunStopSigns.JPG
    DrunksRunStopSigns.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DoctorIveHeardCannibusCanBeUsed.JPG
    DoctorIveHeardCannibusCanBeUsed.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 130

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
K. For recreational use I still don't agree with the legalization of marijuana but it's happening whether or not we agree with it. Up here it's legal for medical use and is soon to be made legal for recreational use as well. I was probably one of the biggest advocates against it all my life. Since my accident, I live every day in chronic pain. I was prescribed it last May. It took me a month to come to terms with it at first and place my first order. Now, having been on it for 8 months, I can see the benefits. It does help to control the pain. And honestly the side effects are better than some of the pain medication I've been on. I'd mucj rather take some, be loopy for an hour and be relatively pain free all day vs taking a combination of medications which leave me light headed, nauseous, depressed etc. One medication is designed to ease pain but creates a zombie effect and increases depression. Then I have to take another one to counteract the side effects of that. And that one leaves side effects. So another one to counteract the side effects of that etc.... So if it gets me off the pain meds that eat away at my inside and leave me like a zombie, then I'm all for it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Vermont legalized pot use up to 1 oz. today. Awaiting the Governors signature.

The Green Mountain State just became a bit greener today.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the little secret that the people pushing "medical" usage don't want you to know, is that REAL medical pot does NOT get you stoned.

REAL medical marijuana is a PILL that contains Marinol, the THC has been removed.

"Marinol differs from the crude plant marijuana because it consists of one pure, well-studied, FDA-approved pharmaceutical (Marinol) in stable known dosages.
appetite--
When you see people smoking MJ and referring to it as "medical", they are (wink wink) blowin smoke up your azz.

not true-- 'cept 4 that last quote-- not here-- & u hafta get cards/approval & it's not so simplistic-- & they won't give marinol via my docs, not yet--
i'm looking to gain an appetite--

Last edited: