• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fire Extinguishers banned to encourage folks to flee instead of to fight a fire.

Sir Knight

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article900459.ece ...
Extinguishers banned

By JAMIE PYATT

Published: 11 Mar 2008

FIRE extinguishers are being banned from blocks of flats – after they were branded a health and safety RISK. The canisters could be dangerous if people use them without training, risk assessors said. And they could encourage people to stay and tackle a blaze rather than flee. The Fire Service is backing the ban – which could be brought in across the country under new rules.

But Mike Edwards, 61 – who lives in a ten-storey block where extinguishers are to be banned – branded the decision “ludicrous”. He said: “I was absolutely staggered – Britain has gone mad. How can removing extinguishers be safe? “If you are trapped in a burning building, you will certainly work out how to use an extinguisher. “Our oldest resident is 103, but even she said she could work out how to use one in an emergency.”

The retired printer, of Bournemouth, Dorset, said people at a nearby block were “worried sick” about fires after their extinguishers were taken away. He added: “The Fire Service can’t quickly get their equipment above the eighth floor – so if someone is trapped they are now just expected to sit and burn.” The Government’s new Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order says every private block of flats must be risk assessed. Extinguishers have already gone from communal areas at 13-storey Admirals Walk in Bournemouth. A letter to residents from agents said: “Unless all residents are trained to operate the fire extinguishers, there is no legal requirement to maintain these in communal areas of residential blocks.”

Pete Whittaker of Dorset Fire and Rescue said each block would be judged separately over whether it should have the canisters. He said: “In some cases, they are no longer needed and are more of a hazard. “We do not want to encourage people to leave their flat to fetch a fire extinguisher from a hallway and then return to a blaze – we want people to get out safely.” He said new building regulations meant that all escape routes should be fireproof anyway. The ruling comes months after Bournemouth Council stopped lending armbands at its swimming pools over health and safety fears.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In another thread about British style democracy, one of our members, who resides in Wales, said her government is CRAP.

If the Brit M.P.s spend their days trying to justify stuff like removing fire extinguishers for safety reasons then I presume the next thing they will do is remove condoms to prevent pregnancy?

Seriously, do they drink while they make up their laws?

nobull1

I have thought and talked with others about the fire extinguishers that are at the gas pumps in our area. It shows how to use them in case of an emergency. I always wondered what would would happen if someone died trying to put out a fire at the pumps. Most people have no training how to put out fires and are just putting themselves at risk for the benefit of the gas company. I bet the lawyers would have a field day with this. I could hear them now. "Your Honor the gas company expected the untrained deceased to extinguish the fire instead of fleeing for her/his own personal safety". On the job training is probably not a good idea in this case.