• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Which Stihl Chainsaw? MS211 C-BE or MS192 C-E

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The MS211 is a "Homeowner" series saw, it weighs 10.1 pounds, develops 2.3hp.

The MS192 is a "Farm & Ranch" series saw, weighs in at only 7.4 pounds and is less powerful at 1.7hp.

Both have the Easy2Start system.
Both have the Anti-Vibration system.
Both have their Intelli-Carb system.
Both have 16" bars.

The MS211 is priced at $299
schain-ou.jpg

The MS192 is priced at $369
Stihl_MS_192_C-E_406709.png

I'm leaning toward the more expensive, less powerful MS192 simply because its 2.7 pounds lighter. To my mind that lighter weight is a significant advantage.

For the most part I do not do anything with a chainsaw that qualifies as lumberjack work, I don't use wood in my fireplaces so I don't have a wood pile that I need too worry about. So I don't believe that the lower horsepower of the heavier duty saw will be any real handicap for my uses.

My current Stihl is 20+ years old and failing. Dropped it off at the shop today and the guy said if it needs any parts then I might be unable to keep it running much longer. So clearly its about time.

Any advice? Thoughts?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Get the 192. It has a real oil pump.

I have the 192 and also a 210 which is the predesessor to the 211. Already replaced the carb on the 210. Not one problem and many more hours on the 192.

I burn 6 cords of wood a year which I cut myself and also do a lot of trail clearing and woods maintainance.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
And I forgot to say... the dealer doubled the warrantee period for buying a 6 pack of the 'Ultra' 2 stroke oil. Don't know if that offer is still available.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with you, the lighter the better.

Have you looked at the MS201? It's also from the Farm and Ranch series, 2.41 hp, 8.81 pounds. I have no idea of the price though.

Jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And I forgot to say... the dealer doubled the warrantee period for buying a 6 pack of the 'Ultra' 2 stroke oil. Don't know if that offer is still available.
They did that for me last summer when I bought a hedge trimmer. Not sure if it's still offered.

I'm with you, the lighter the better.

Have you looked at the MS201? It's also from the Farm and Ranch series, 2.41 hp, 8.81 pounds. I have no idea of the price though.

Jim
$669

Honestly can't justify that amount given the amount of use the saw will get.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I got a call from the shop.

Repair estimate on my 20+ year old saw is roughly $175.

I just ordered a new saw. The MS192 C-E. They didn't have one in the store but they had 2 on order set to arrive next week. I told them to put a SOLD tag on one of those with my name on that tag.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you may have gotten in a hurry here....:whistling:

I have been using a Stihl MSA 160C....
It's the lithium Ion battery powered saw. I thought it was but a toy... Untill i cut 5 pickup truck bed full of brush with it! Dang no noise no gasoline to mix. Just charge the battery and fill it with bar oil.

Cuts a little slower than a small gas saw, but it weighs half as much. I am really starting to like the little bugger....:wink:

Regards, Kirk