• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Windows Service Center" just called to fix my computer

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got a phone call. And it was an interesting call for my household. We have had Apple computers for 20+ years.

So when someone called saying they were from the "Windows Service Center" and they were calling about my computer the first response that came to mind was:
"We don't own any computers in our house ... they are the work of the devil ... are you Satan?"
Silence on the other end of the phone line.

:glare:

I am presuming this was some sort of a scam to get me to follow their instructions and then destroy my computer, wipe my hard drive, etc.

Anyone get any calls like this?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I've had two in the past week. The first was regarding our HP laptop. I told the lady it was in our RV behind me and wouldn't be booted up until the 11th. She said she would call me back then. Never heard from her.
The second was a guy yesterday who could barely speak English and it regarded our Dell desktop. I let him recite his spiel and then told him windows doesn't call, they E-mail. He said he represents windows 7, not microsoft. I then told him I had received a call a few days before regarding our HP laptop and it was all smelling terribly of bullshit and goodbye, then I hung up!!
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if it is some sort of scam to get $$$, or steal identities?

Or if it is some sort of way to destroy data (even if hidden on the drive) and then not unlock the data until they are paid a ransom?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup, got one the other day.

I told them there are no windows computers in the house and that even though I am retired, I am way to busy to listen to their bullshit and to stop calling. Click.

Next up is PCI Metro. I am getting way too sick of them as well.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
They are a scam. They are selling their anti virus. They try to get you to let them into your pc. They then run a "test". The test implants aa virus and reports that you have thousands of them. I think the price is something like $250.00 pot do to take them out.

I keep a spare machine around to play with them. It beats what's on TV. After playing than for half an hour or so they caught on that I was playing them and threatened to sue me. I told them to go ahead, I could use the cash.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't gotten a call from them yet. I did get a bogus call from a company claiming to be cra (Canadian version of irs) It was an automated message saying I was being charged and an arrest warrant was out for me for not filing my taxes. [emoji6]

My wife works for cra and we're all caught up on everything. I immediately called her at work and she said it was a scam.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got a phone call. And it was an interesting call for my household. We have had Apple computers for 20+ years.

So when someone called saying they were from the "Windows Service Center" and they were calling about my computer the first response that came to mind was:
"We don't own any computers in our house ... they are the work of the devil ... are you Satan?"

I am presuming this was some sort of a scam to get me to follow their instructions and then destroy my computer, wipe my hard drive, etc.

Anyone get any calls like this?

I got a similar one. I just said mine was stolen and tell me who has it.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I've gotten those calls and I like to mess with them. I've asked them if they know Bill Gates and I want his autograph; stuff like that.
I also ask them since when has Microsoft moved to Calcutta.

My dad used to really like messing with phone sales people. He would tell them that he was super interested but that something out in the kitchen was burning and that he had to check it. He would say that he would be back in a minute and ask them to please hold on. Then he would set the phone down and walk off. Sometimes he would say that he wanted to call them back and ask for their number. Anything to mess with them.
I miss my dad.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Step 1 - While they aside talking, gently and quietly put the phone receiver in an empty wastebasket.

Star 2 - Using one of those portable boat horns in the wastebasket - honk away.

Extra credit use some kind of cover on the waterfalls to increase volume.