• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thoughts on a sporty sedan?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking of picking up a used sedan (or coupe) for zipping around town.

Would like to get something sportier and less bland than a normal day-to-day sedan (Accord, Camry...)

Since it's just for casual driving (and I don't really need it) I'd like to start with a budget of about $5-10K.

In that price range, there's a lot of cars out there but want something that's reliable and not expensive to maintain.

In that price range:
I'm reluctant on German cars. Once they get down to that price range, many makes/models can become maintenance nightmares.

How's the Mustang, Camaro or other from the big-3? E.g. Here's an old but clean Mustang with 70K on the odo but not sure of their quality or reliablity.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5623216177.html

Japanese
Nissan 350Z?
Lexus GS or IS (or are they basically a Camry/Corolla)?
Acura TSX (or is it a pretty Accord)?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
10k can get you a C32 or a C55 w203.
or an older E55 w210.
or even a much more fun car, easy to work on, 190e 2.3 16v w201. Buy the stick. This car will not depreciate.

Attachments

• DSC02066 (Medium).jpg
    DSC02066 (Medium).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 130

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
or an older E55 w210.
or even a much more fun car, easy to work on, 190e 2.3 16v w201. Buy the stick. This car will not depreciate.

Really???? ......... nah more issues than having name recognition. I've never heard "easy to work on" or "easy to get parts" or "cheap to fix" in reference to a Benz ...... and that's from many friends that HAD them. Are these models anomalies?

Want fun ........... get a Mini Cooper (and yeah I fit in them)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll throw in my 2 cents .....
I've had Camero's and Mustang's ....I would say by the time they get to that price they are going to need some attention. Always something. You might recall last year i bought a z3 BMW. 105 on the clock. rag top. Compared to all cars i've ever owned this is the most fun to drive by far. I had never driven a BMW before so, that might account for some of my shear enjoyment. Very small and so far all working well. These can be had right in your price range (my financial advisor is selling an 04 z4 in premo shape). You would love it. I know you've had Mercedes and Audi's so after those I'm not sure you'd be happy with a stang or camero. Maybe if they were convertible that would help out. I saw a beautiful 2015 Camero, bright yellow w/ black racing stripes, black convertible top. When I returned a few days later to show the wife it was gone. :(

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I knew Fred would come in with the MB. :) I just checked CL for my area and of the 139 results, there was only one SLK32 AMG and the rest were regular C, E, S or M class. There was a 190 2.6 but if I considered that one, I may have to e-mail Fred and ask if I could get the cover back (Remember years ago I sent you a cover for a 190 since we sold ours?).

We "had" 3 Audi A6's and 2 Mercedes (ML and 190). They all became costly as they got up there in years/miles so I'm trying to avoid those brands... for now.

BD - I've heard there's ample room in the front seats but how are the rear seats for size and the storage area behind that? One of my almost daily errands will be be getting my son from high-school football practice. If he has gear and/or a couple friends that need a ride home, will there be room?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You are an Indian Giver?
Yes, I remember that every time I see one of your posts.
I had to buy a second 16v for that cover you know.
And any other 190 is not anything like driving a 16v. Pick one up while still cheap and hang on to it. I'm looking for a third one.

I've worked on cars since my first car at 16 - a 1968 gto.
I don't care what anybody speculates, these Benzes are the easiest cars to work on, once you get the American methodology out of your head. Everything on these cars is made and positioned so you can easily fix the normal stuff.

Like, replace pads - jack car up, remove wheel, knock out one or two pins with a drift, compress the pistons with a screwdriver on the pads, slide out old pads, slide in new, tires on, let jack down, pump the pedal a few times, go. Or you could do it the American way and remove the caliper, but an observant person sees how easy the Nazi, er, German, engineers designed it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm afraid the BMW Z3 may be too small. Any thoughts on the BMW 330 or M3?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You are an Indian Giver?
Nope, never. Just thought of the cover when you mentioned 190. At the same time, I was thinking we have a 3-car garage and this will be car #6 so I was trying to figure which 3 vehicles will be left outside.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BD - I've heard there's ample room in the front seats but how are the rear seats for size and the storage area behind that? One of my almost daily errands will be be getting my son from high-school football practice. If he has gear and/or a couple friends that need a ride home, will there be room?

You'll need to pass on all that fun ..............

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
or an older E55 w210.

Agreed. I had 5 Benzes. Lowest mileage was 123K highest 180K. All of them bought for under $6K and all were great cars which fetch good money when I let them go.

Took one to 300K and sold it. Two I did give away but not because they were worthless.

Each time I sold one I wondered why I was letting them go.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You are an Indian Giver?
Yes, I remember that every time I see one of your posts.
I had to buy a second 16v for that cover you know.
And any other 190 is not anything like driving a 16v. Pick one up while still cheap and hang on to it. I'm looking for a third one.

I've worked on cars since my first car at 16 - a 1968 gto.
I don't care what anybody speculates, these Benzes are the easiest cars to work on, once you get the American methodology out of your head. Everything on these cars is made and positioned so you can easily fix the normal stuff.

Like, replace pads - jack car up, remove wheel, knock out one or two pins with a drift, compress the pistons with a screwdriver on the pads, slide out old pads, slide in new, tires on, let jack down, pump the pedal a few times, go. Or you could do it the American way and remove the caliper, but an observant person sees how easy the Nazi, er, German, engineers designed it.

Until just recently, most Benz cars came with some tools. Even the top line sedans. I never had an issue working on them.

parts can be pricey.

All that said, my feelings about the German flagship cars is that Mercedes may well be the best ENGINEERED cars in the world. But they are assembled with the cheapest parts.
So why parts cost so much is a question. But at least replacing them is usually low tech logical, and easy.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
There is always a Chrysler Crossfire Coupe. One canbe had for $5 to $10 Grand under 100 K miles.

tow drawbacks,

One, they only have two seats
Two, Under all that skin is a Mercedes 320 SL

Yes, I own several and am biased. But they are sporty and reliable.

26 MPG is common on the highway. I get close to 30MPG.

Sticks are better. JMHO But the auto stick is legendary I have both.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, y'all convinced me to look at German cars again.

As it relates to MB and BMW, are there models/years to avoid? I'm not sure I want another Audi yet. Time for something different as we've had Audi's for 15+ years.

I was thinking of small but now considering moving up a size to a MB E series or BMW 5 series. The small ones can be fun but I still have kids that need schlepped around.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
1st or 2nd year of the new model, unless lightly optioned, are to be avoided.
It's the new options that hurt Benz, since they are usually the first ones with the new thing.

I loved my old W210 E430. Went way more miles than I had ever expected it to, with no more than normal maintenance - brakes, tires, water pump, etc. Very easy car to fix.

The newer E class cars are beautiful, but these days I must say real AMG cars are the way go.

What do I lust for, in order - CLS63, E63 Black Series, G63, SL63, anything "63". A buddy has a E63BS - my God what a car.

Best Benz ever - 1987-1991 126 cars - the big ones. I'd love to find a gray market 126 wagon.

I don't get the expensive parts thoughts. I buy Lemforder or Bosch or whatever oem of the part was, fairly inexpensively on line at buyeuroparts. I don't find any of these parts cheaply made. Ball joints are massive, brakes are massive, I have never had to change a Bilstein shock, tie rods are stout.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, a BMW 530i has been added to the stable. :biggrin:

CarFax shows thorough dealer maintenance from day one and all the big ticket maintenance items (e.g. timing belt, water pump...) were recently performed. Newer battery, new tires... so I'm hoping for a relatively maintenance free ride for the foreseeable future.

Now I have to tell the wife. :ermm: She's in Florida and has no idea.

Attachments

• BMW25.jpg
    BMW25.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 109
  • BMW26.jpg
    BMW26.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 107
  • BMW09.jpg
    BMW09.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 102

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice car! Enjoy the ride. What year is it?

2003 with 113K. I normally wouldn't look at something this old with that mileage but the service records and vehicle condition made me go for it. It won't be a daily driver (i.e. commute for work) so it should last quite awhile.

Based on pricing I see for similar vehicles, I think I got a heck of a deal as well.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
2003 with 113K. I normally wouldn't look at something this old with that mileage but the service records and vehicle condition made me go for it. It won't be a daily driver (i.e. commute for work) so it should last quite awhile.

Based on pricing I see for similar vehicles, I think I got a heck of a deal as well.

At that level, the depreciation curve flattens out considerably making buying well maintained vehicles a sound financial decision as far as autos go. I don't think you can go wrong. Hell, if you bought a new one, it would depreciate more in the first year then you probably paid for this. Good for you.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice car. It looks like it's a standard to. Awesome. Your son will love learning on that when it's time for him to drive. I bet it's just as fun to drive a my z3. What engine is in that beauty?

I taught both my daughters and my son how to drive a standard right off the bat. They learned and tested in a standard shift Honda. An easy skill to learn and once you learn, much like a bicycle you never forget. At the time I worked with men who could not drive a stick, geez, I was embarrassed for them. :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The engine is their 3.0L V6 (225HP)

Actually Doc, it's an automatic (with the option to switch to manual/tip shifting).

I thought about a manual but discounted the idea. I have a bad hip that hurts enough without the shifting. A lot of hills in our area make it worse. Not worried about the kids driving sticks but the Mrs. never learned how. I figure all 4 of us will be driving it so I went with the easy route for everyone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been browsing the owners manual as I have time.

It has the usual million options I'll never use but I found this one unique.

It says to switch your keys from time to time. When the key is put in the ignition, the ignition system charges the battery in the FOB. Never heard of the ignition system charging FOB's before.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm I've never heard of that either. Good to know though. :thumb:
That 3.0 engine oughta give that peppy fun factor you were looking for. Very nice.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That 3.0 engine oughta give that peppy fun factor you were looking for. Very nice.
When I took it for a test drive, it was a short drive in basically village driving.

Finally got to get it out on a real road today.

Holy shit. What a ride. Quiet, comfortable, a slight but pleasant rumble from the powertrain/exhaust and when you step on it, there's no question you're speedo is going to climb quickly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did a 400 mile road trip last weekend.

Still impressed on the ride comfort and it's giddy-up power.

Speeds varying from 70-100+ and cruising at 80-85 (+ a 30-minute traffic jam), I still got 26 MPG's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did a 400 mile road trip last weekend.

Still impressed on the ride comfort and it's giddy-up power.

Speeds varying from 70-100+ and cruising at 80-85 (+ a 30-minute traffic jam), I still got 26 MPG's.
Awesome! I do think you made a good choice for a fun ride. I love the giddy up in mine. :D :thumb: