• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sewing Machines - anybody here know anything?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Need some advice.

My wife generally uses a portable Husqvarna Viking 6440 sewing machine. It's indestructible. However, stitch length is controlled manually while running the fabric through the sew.

She also has a Consew 18, an industrial walking foot (but not needle) machine. What's nice about this machine is with the walking foot, the stitch length is adjustable, and is constant while you sew. The problem with this machine is the foot walks, stops, needle goes through fabric, back out, and foot walks. What happens with thick thread is that the machine can jam. Sometimes this jam causes the machine to go out of time, which means back to the Viking while the machine is brought in for re-timing.

The local sew shop says we really should be a Japanese Consew 206RB (not a newer Chinese one of same model number). This type of walking foot also has the needle travel with the foot, so there is never any chance of the material walking beyond or backwards from the foot during the stitch.

So I started researching and found a Juki DNU-1541. This thing seems much more robust than the 206RB.

So my questions are:
1) Is our Consew 18 simply too old and worn out; that's why it jams?
2) Is the sewing machine guy correct; this machine is prone to jamming?
3) If cost wasn't the issue, would you take a Juki DNU1541 or a Consew 206RB?

I'd like to sell the Consew 18 to offset the cost of either a used Japanese built Consew 206rb(about 800-1000 bucks for a good one with table and servo motor) or a Japanese Juki DNU1541 (which can be purchased brand new witha servo motor for about $1600).

If the Consew 18 is simply worn out, I'll discard it - I would not want to pass on our troubles. But when it's not jammin up, it makes a beautiful stitch. Did the canvas top for the boat and it looks factory.