• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB: Snow Trac value

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
This Snow Trac is going to auction this Saturday, anyone have a guess on what its value is. All I have are these two pictures, I have no information on it at this time.

Attachments

• Snow Trac 1.jpg
    Snow Trac 1.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 952
  • Snow Trac 2.jpg
    Snow Trac 2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 945

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does the trailer go with it?

Just a wild guess, but with the trailer, I would think a little on the far side of $10K. But the local economy, as well as the national one may not let it go that high. Hard to price toys right now. Especially in a puplic auction setting. It would depend upon if two bidders who really want one show up.....SnowTrac ST4B's do not come up for sale very often these days.

Also I am assuming a good running engine, and like new tracks, ready to run. Not sure if these are true of this particular machine.

Good luck,

Kirk

Last edited:

Mtn-Track

I agree with Kirk. That looks like a really solid machine, whether it runs or not, and might be worth serious consideration.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If that were near the midwest, a diesel powered Bombi would be up for sale and I would be holding a bidders card.

Good luck.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like the gear may still be on it. I see a radio antenna . You may have spare track parts and wheels that come with it.
A heavy trailer like that would bring a good price by it self.
who is selling it?

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I went and looked at it today in person, here is what I found, remember I know nothing about this kind of machine, I have a Frandee. There are no spares, no battery, has not run in a while. Did put a battery pack on it and it turned over fine but did not start, it may not have had fuel, they are going to try to get it started for tomorrows auction. The tracks have been replaced, new exhaust pipe, looks like they may have hit something and tore the previous pipe off. The cab needs some work inside, especially the dash. The unit was used for search and rescue operations, at least in recent years so there was radio equipment in it at one time but all that is left is the antenna. Overall the unit appears to be in good condition. I believe the S/N is 920 which from my research makes it a 1968, Trac-Master ST4B, it looks like it has 777 hours on it if I was reading it right. I have my bid card, if it goes cheap enough (what cheap enough is I am not sure yet) I might buy it, however I could really use the trailer for my Frandee and they are selling it separate from the cat (maximize their profits of course).

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
It found a good home, Bill Guthrie. There were two absentee bids, one other than Bill's, no one locally bid on it. The trailer sold separately for $950 to a local. I went to the auction with a retired friend of mine who worked for the Union Pacific Railroad here, he and another friend of his believe this is the snow cat that the railroad had given to the Bannock County Sheriff's office for search and rescue, and there is an old partially painted over sticker on the back of the unit which indicates this. It looks like they did not get it started, which is good since there were a lot of people looking at it and I am sure they would have turned the steering wheel with it still chained to the trailer. Now if I can just talk Bill into selling me the grousers from his Frandee tracks when he comes to pick it up in Pocatello.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
First bid (absentee) was $6000, no one locally bid, second bid was $6500, and that was the end, sold in less than a minute. As I said the trailer went for $950 to a local. It started out at $500, then $750, then slowly worked it's way up to $950. Worst thing here is now this guy is going to off load the cat (which is not running) into a mall parking lot and who knows how long it will sit there (with no security). Also on top of the price, above $2501 there is a 5% adder by the auction company then Idaho sales tax at 1.06%, so now the total is just over $7200. For the trailer, there is a 10% adder for sales to $2500, so the trailer actual cost, with tax, was just over $1100.

SnowtracUSA

The man wanted $11,500.00 but his wife e-mailed me and said she would take $10,500.00 / I offered $8700.00 but she declined....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it would be worth the asking price IMHO...

Unfortunately we all know what it sold for not long ago, and I doubt that the difference in money was sunk into it to get it running. But it is winter, and if I didn't have mine I would be after this one. I suggest you buy it before I call my friend and tell him about it.:shifty: He may not want a B model though.....

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
get him to include a trailer . It looks like it doesn't even have any cracks.
is snow-trans selling it?
jim

Roadkill

wow a flip at close to double the selling price a couple weeks ago. my concern would be that it is just a flip for profit and not coming from someone knowing the machine. I'd want a warranty.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just recieved a call from a friend in central Iowa who thinks this machine is sitting in a truck stop in front of him just off I 80.....Wonder were out East it may land??......

Regards, Kirk

Greg7510

Kirk,

Your friend is right. It was on a truck in Iowa. It is headed for Michigan! Just arrived today. Can't wait to clean it up a little.

Greg

Snow trac ST4 B #920

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Greg,

Have fun with the new toy. Michigan isn't that far east. Used to go up to Stanton for pure stock drags. Beautiful state, and probably have some snow by now?

My friend was in shock when he saw it on the truck...he has ridden in my ST4, so he knew what it was. But the wide tracks were a shock to him. He has some pics on his phone he is going to send me.

Welcome to the ST club! We are just a little nuts about our machines, as some here have noticed. Lots of good info and people who will share it.

Are you runing it on private property or the public trails? What will you register it as?

Cool your about the next closest one to the one I have...

Best regards, Kirk

Greg7510

Thanks Kirk, It is going to be fun to be a member of this ST club. It was a big ordeal just trying to get it shipped out here. The width of this machine was the problem. Finally found a shipping company that did not want to charge me half what I paid for the machine. I used all of your intel from this forum to make my decision to purchase it. I bought it just by looking at pictures and reading this forum. I'm pretty sure it is a solid machine. Starts right up and everything seems to work. Probably will run it on the u.p. trails eventually. As for registering it I have no idea. Any suggestions?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is a snowmobile in Iowa unless I let it expire. Let me explain. A mistake was made at the courthouse. I had the bill of sale and title along with a State of Washington Vintage snowmobile licence. Bingo without checking they issued me an Iowa snowmobile licence......The only thing is it is about 28" to wide to fit the State criteria of a snowmobile. But in Iowa once regiestered as a sled it will always be grandfathered as such. Unless I let it expire. The State DNR guys just smile and wave, So far anyway....

An ST4B is quite a bit wider than the standard ST though.....But you might just go play "dumb" and register it as a 1,600 cc snowmobile :brows: and see what happens. You can always say to them if it isn't a snowmobile what the heck is it then???

Mostly mine is ran on private farmland. I have a half dozen or so sections I run around in. I did trailer it last weekend to NE Iowa where there is some snow though...

Best regards, Kirk

utahwilson

DDS you can buy my Trackmaster and then I can buy a Tucker. Which would be way overkill for what I would use it for, but +10 on the badass scale:whistling: pulling into the Monte Cristo parking lot.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i wish'd i could afford it maybe next summer but right now i have other things to spend money on

utahwilson

Pretty sure it will be sitting exactly where it currently is at by next summer. :) I would imagine it would be very expensive to ship something that size to Alaska.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm guessing it would be 2500 bucks to get it from seattle to nome if trcks are removed and it fits a 20 foot can than there are also the overland logistics to deal with