• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Empire State Building disses U.S. Marine Corps

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The few. The Proud. The Dissed.

The U.S. Marine Corps, like Mother Teresa, is being barred by the Empire State Building from starring in lights.
"We were rejected," said Gunnery Sgt. Alex Kitsakos of the Marines' public affairs office in midtown, who asked for the building to be lit scarlet and gold in 2008 on the Marines' Nov. 10 birthday.

"Of all the silly things they would consider lighting the building for, they wouldn't light it for the Marine Corps?" he asked. "Whoever it is that's running the building, they certainly could be making better decisions about who it is that they choose to honor."

Anthony Malkin, the developer whose family owns Manhattan's tallest skyscraper, has refused all calls to light the tower blue and white on Aug. 26, Mother Teresa's 100th birthday. A statement from the building Thursday said it does not honor religious figures or organizations.
"We are privately owned and our policies and practices are subject to change in accord with ownership's preferences," the building said.

"We are saddened by the hateful words and messages being generated both for and against lighting for Mother Teresa," it said. "We surely wish that the emotions of those in favor be directed towards good actions of community service in the spirit of their views, and that those who are against be dignified and respectful in their dialogue."
The Albanian nun tended to the sick and ailing in Calcutta's slums, and her Sisters of Charity order opened a convent in the Bronx to care for the poor here.

News of the Marine refusal came as City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called on all New Yorkers to volunteer in Mother Teresa's spirit on her 100th birthday on Aug. 26 - and to light their own windows blue and white, the colors of the Sisters of Charity.

"We're not going to wait for the Empire State Building to make sure that her light is alive and strong in New York City," Quinn said, shortly after getting off the phone with Malkin in another attempt to convince him.
"He has a building with a lot of lights, but he's just one man," Quinn said. "If thousands of New Yorkers put these lights in their windows on Aug. 26, we'll send a message that Mother Teresa's work is alive and well."
Friends have tried to work out a compromise with Malkin, a third-generation real estate scion who has earned acclaim for renovating the aging tower. One reported Thursday: "There is no deal."

mak2

I dont know aobut this story, but I think that is the only sentence I have ever seen with Mother Theresa and the US Marine Corps in the same sentence. Just seems weird.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont know aobut this story, but I think that is the only sentence I have ever seen with Mother Theresa and the US Marine Corps in the same sentence. Just seems weird.
Well, it's actually tied together.
I decided first on this ^ news item to post, as opposed to another one which actually is pretty controversial concerning Mother Teresa in and of itself.

V
V
V

It's like everyone is picking on the Catholics: Catholics Mount Campaign to Light Up Empire State Building for Mother Teresa.
A Catholic group is rallying its troops after it says New York's Empire State Building "stiffed" Mother Teresa , denying a request to light up the landmark in blue and white lights, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Nobel Peace Prize winner's birth.

"To stiff Mother Teresa while giving this honor to every other Tom, Dick and Harry is not going to sit well with Catholics," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, which initiated the request for the commemorative lighting. The upper floors of the Empire State, New York's tallest building, are often lit in festive colors for special occasions.

Three months after the Catholic League, which is considered a conservative group, submitted its application, its leaders say they were stunned to receive a rejection. No explanation was given.
Since then, Donohue, a well-known and often polarizing figure involved in Catholic American politics for nearly two decades, has mounted an ever-louder campaign to convince the building's owners to reverse their decision.
Here's a 2009 video of Christopher Hitchens and Bill Donohue, arguing over Mother Teresa's atheism.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeS0MHl5xTM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Christopher Hitchens on Hardball[/ame]

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Being that its a privatlly owned building I cant say I blame the owners , Its their decision & I dont see how not wanting to light up there building the way others think they should , could be considered dissing the marines or mother theresa . It would just be another target IMO .

Maybe the guberment should come in & make them do it :whistling:

loboloco

Since the owner says no, it is his choice. Think he could be a little more supportive of our troops though.

grizzer

He had no problem lighting it up for RED China's Birthday

Communists were laughing at stupid americans.