• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Tracs for sale.

There are currently two snow Tracs for sale on Craigs List in Alaska. Here is a picture of one, notice the Bogies. I'm no ST expert but I've never seen this style wheel before. Mod?

Attachments

• 3n23o43pd5Ub5S85R79cc7e0c522649de12a4.jpg
    3n23o43pd5Ub5S85R79cc7e0c522649de12a4.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,115
Here is a picture of the second one for $8500. The first one above is $6000.

Attachments

• 3na3kd3p35Oa5P25S19c2a5e212ef774c1435.jpg
    3na3kd3p35Oa5P25S19c2a5e212ef774c1435.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,132

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
#2 looks nice #1 has been posted before for sale it has trailer axles under it and is more of a hunting buggy

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd hate to see another snow trac leave the state but that looks like a good one has the old 2 band track so it will stay in the track at almoste any incline might need an up graded engine i would recomend you get a look under the hood make shure all the heat shields and air horn is in place those 2 items can be hard to find and are a pain to fabricate I'm missingthe front shield on mine and have installed a cht gauge but havn't had any problems with overheating in my enviroment i also have a 1600 motor good luck

leadvillerpm

It would be nice to see a few more here in colorado. I've only seen one in person and I hope the next one I see is in my driveway. It would be going to a good home...vw mechanic that lives @10,000 ft above see level in the rockies. I can leave my driveway and head up to 13,000 without hitting any pavement.

What better home could there be for a snow track?

I just got off the phone with them and am waiting for some more pics.

ryan

I don't have any experience with the the snow tracks but plenty with track rigs and heavy equipment so if you get serious and need an unbiased set of eyeballs to look at it let me know. There are quite a few members on this forum who live near Palmer and own Snow Tracks who might also give you some input. Good Luck!

Randy

leadvillerpm

If there is someone near by to go look at it I would definitely appreciate it. I will also be looking for someone to ship it or tow it here to colorado.

If anyone is willing to help me out PM me for my contact info.

Thanks,
Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
It would be nice to see a few more here in colorado. I've only seen one in person and I hope the next one I see is in my driveway. It would be going to a good home...vw mechanic that lives @10,000 ft above see level in the rockies. I can leave my driveway and head up to 13,000 without hitting any pavement.

What better home could there be for a snow track?

I just got off the phone with them and am waiting for some more pics.

ryan
well as long as its cared for we all can't complain to bad. being a vw mech what do yu think about the dis kits for 009 equiped air cooled motors the lack of a dist cap to get wet interests me with it sitting out in front had to stop and wipe it down in the last blizzard around here it snows horizionaly wich may be why others havn't had the problem and alsuo would it work with my vaccuum advance distributer

leadvillerpm

I've only installed a few dis ignitions in vws. The only kit I have use is made by compufire and I have had issue with the inductive pickup going out in them. The concept is great but with the trouble I have had with, I would say order two kits- install one - and keep the other inside the rig for parts so you don't get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

There may be other manufacturers out there that make a better product, but I still feel the best way to go is keep an extra set of tune up components in the machine and find away to keep as much moisture as possible off that area.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I've only installed a few dis ignitions in vws. The only kit I have use is made by compufire and I have had issue with the inductive pickup going out in them. The concept is great but with the trouble I have had with, I would say order two kits- install one - and keep the other inside the rig for parts so you don't get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

There may be other manufacturers out there that make a better product, but I still feel the best way to go is keep an extra set of tune up components in the machine and find away to keep as much moisture as possible off that area.
thats what i wanted to know i do alot of work on industriel lift trucks and have found the reliability of some of those chineese electronics to be less than i would expect might stay with points and weather proof the cap like i did to my jeep

leadvillerpm

When I talk to the owners of this snow trac last night the said the reason why they are selling it is that the steering was not responsive enough to make a all the very tight turns going up to a cabin. Is this the nature of these machines or is there something wrong (ie: worn belt or clutch adjustments)?

The main area I would be using it in does not have too many tight turns. It is more steep and often deep. I would imagine I may need a bigger engine to gain back some hp as you loss around 30% at this altitude and that would make this unit around 25 hp. Does any have any idea how much hp these units can handle? I have several higher hp engines in my shop and have also done several engine conversions on vws (mainly subaru).

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here in bush alaska i get away with driving mine in town and i can turn 180 degrees on a 2 lane road with lots of room to spare when i.m on the tundra which can bite the tracks pretty hard there is some delay in steering and and if at the time i crawl up on willows which let the track slip some than it will take off i would bet any steering issues are with improper belt adjustment and posssobly a bad belt there is a gates replacement belt if your 40 year old belt is on its way south

utahwilson

Not that it helps this season. However, next spring/summer I plan on selling my track-master and moving up to something with a little more head room. Not as far to tow from Utah to Colorado than Alaska/CO...and, you could probably drive over Hagerman pass and I could meet you at our cabin at Norrie. Just a thought.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Not that it helps this season. However, next spring/summer I plan on selling my track-master and moving up to something with a little more head room. Not as far to tow from Utah to Colorado than Alaska/CO...and, you could probably drive over Hagerman pass and I could meet you at our cabin at Norrie. Just a thought.
there you go if you are running hills and deep snow snow masters are hard to beat wished it didn't cost so much to ship them here would love to have one

leadvillerpm

If I don't get a snow trac this season I will definitely keep you in mind, if I don't go crazy looking for one before then. I've never spent so much time online...I can't wait for the search to be over, but I don't want to settle for a POS.

The snow master may be a little too wide for some of the trail I use and I really like the idea of going 25 mph in a tracked vehicle so for now I am looking at st4's.

Ryan

leadvillerpm

I here 25 is pushing it but an st4 will definitely outrun most snowcats out there form what I here. An being addicted to speed and hp I'm sure I can find a way to make it happen.

Here are some photos of my 1978 vw bus that I have hit 100 mph in.

2.2L subaru conversion

bus%20005.jpg
bus 005.jpg

bus 002.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you can get to 25mph in my snow-track. You have to be going downhill at 45degrees with a stiff tailwind, but its doable. :wink: There are few different models for sale on KSL.com. Also, try http://www.semiservice.com/.
the gps shows mine at 25 with 4500 rpm and if the terrain is too rough thats too fast but snow dosn't slow it down till yu get over your waist or its wet and sticky on a hard pack it will do that going up hill with a single port 1600 and a pict 30 carb.

mtnguyco1981

Nice looking van there, Leadviller. Any luck on the AK Snow-Track? I'm over in Breckenridge and have taken an interest in these machines. I'm thinking of a future purchase, but not sure about pulling the trigger on something this winter.

Having said that, there is a nice looking one posted on Craigslist in the Bend, OR listings, though the ad says it is actually in Eugene. Has anyone else seen this?: http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/1488368757.html

The listing is for an ST4B. I'm a noob, but from the reading I've done thus far, I was under the impression that the ST4B is the wider-tracked version and this doesn't appear to be one from the photos that are posted on the listing. Are there any forum members in the area who have seen her in person? I've tried emailing the owner on more than one occasion and haven't heard anything back as of yet.

leadvillerpm

I have talked with the owner of that one. It is an st4b snow master but someone cut down the grousers that hold the two outer bands of the wide track. He said he would deliver it to me for $12,000 which is more than I would spend on a master with cut tracks at this point.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
leadvillerpm as you are a vw tech what would be your choice for a clutch in my st i have a 1600 engine with the 180 fly wheel i will be pulling the engine out this week to do a presidential patch bu putting in a new disc but want to order up some kind of hd clutch kit also what is the allowable end pay on the engine if i have to add or remove shims now is the tme to do it.

teledawg

Nice looking van there, Leadviller. Any luck on the AK Snow-Track? I'm over in Breckenridge and have taken an interest in these machines. I'm thinking of a future purchase, but not sure about pulling the trigger on something this winter.

Having said that, there is a nice looking one posted on Craigslist in the Bend, OR listings, though the ad says it is actually in Eugene. Has anyone else seen this?: http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/1488368757.html

The listing is for an ST4B. I'm a noob, but from the reading I've done thus far, I was under the impression that the ST4B is the wider-tracked version and this doesn't appear to be one from the photos that are posted on the listing. Are there any forum members in the area who have seen her in person? I've tried emailing the owner on more than one occasion and haven't heard anything back as of yet.

This Snow-Master has been discussed here before: LINK

leadvillerpm

I use sachs clutch kits, usually decent price and good quality. They have held up fine for me in modified bugs that were driven hard. End play on a 1600 should be between .003 and .005 inch (.07 t0 .13 mm), this measurement should really not change much from when the engine was built. It's not likely that you will have to change the shims.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I use sachs clutch kits, usually decent price and good quality. They have held up fine for me in modified bugs that were driven hard. End play on a 1600 should be between .003 and .005 inch (.07 t0 .13 mm), this measurement should really not change much from when the engine was built. It's not likely that you will have to change the shims.
just found out that that the fly wheel sets the end play not knowing the skills of the guy who put it together i don't trust any work done by him if its tore down i want to fix every thing right and i can se the end play so i'm betting its more than your .005 inch i can just use a dial indicator on the end of the crank and remove shimms right

leadvillerpm

I usually use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and mount it on the flywheel and put the dial indicator on the back of the case. Then you push in on the flywheel record reading and lightly pry out (pry bar or large screw driver between flywheel and case) and record reading. Then remove flywheel and shims, measure shims and make adjustment. May take a couple tries to get it right. I would have an asortment of shims ready too make adjustment.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I usually use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and mount it on the flywheel and put the dial indicator on the back of the case. Then you push in on the flywheel record reading and lightly pry out (pry bar or large screw driver between flywheel and case) and record reading. Then remove flywheel and shims, measure shims and make adjustment. May take a couple tries to get it right. I would have an asortment of shims ready too make adjustment.
thats kind of what i thaught simalar to how you check end play on a 2 stroke detroit except you set at the thrust bearing

leadvillerpm

Sound like I will be getting the red snow trac. Will be trying to finalize the sale today and shipper picking it up Saturday. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

I was looking at another snow trac in Palmer a few weeks ago, but it sold right before I called the owner (an Alaskan state trooper). The owner of that snow trac drove 20 miles, got his car stuck, walked through waist deep snow, and shoveled this one out to look at it for me. He say I owe him a beer. I think more than one is in order.

He told me the machine is in was in amazing condition and that I should buy it...you are supposed to listen to the police...right.

I'll let you all know if it works out.

Ryan