• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Islamic Law officially adopted in UK

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4749183.ece

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts

Abul Taher

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.
Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Siddiqi said: “We realised that under the Arbitration Act we can make rulings which can be enforced by county and high courts. The act allows disputes to be resolved using alternatives like tribunals. This method is called alternative dispute resolution, which for Muslims is what the sharia courts are.”

The disclosure that Muslim courts have legal powers in Britain comes seven months after Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was pilloried for suggesting that the establishment of sharia in the future “seems unavoidable” in Britain.

In July, the head of the judiciary, the lord chief justice, Lord Phillips, further stoked controversy when he said that sharia could be used to settle marital and financial disputes.

In fact, Muslim tribunal courts started passing sharia judgments in August 2007. They have dealt with more than 100 cases that range from Muslim divorce and inheritance to nuisance neighbours.

It has also emerged that tribunal courts have settled six cases of domestic violence between married couples, working in tandem with the police investigations.

Siddiqi said he expected the courts to handle a greater number of “smaller” criminal cases in coming years as more Muslim clients approach them. “All we are doing is regulating community affairs in these cases,” said Siddiqi, chairman of the governing council of the tribunal.

Jewish Beth Din courts operate under the same provision in the Arbitration Act and resolve civil cases, ranging from divorce to business disputes. They have existed in Britain for more than 100 years, and previously operated under a precursor to the act.

Politicians and church leaders expressed concerns that this could mark the beginnings of a parallel legal system” based on sharia for some British Muslims.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, said: “If it is true that these tribunals are passing binding decisions in the areas of family and criminal law, I would like to know which courts are enforcing them because I would consider such action unlawful. British law is absolute and must remain so.”
Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.
Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.

In the six cases of domestic violence, Siddiqi said the judges ordered the husbands to take anger management classes and mentoring from community elders. There was no further punishment.

In each case, the women subsequently withdrew the complaints they had lodged with the police and the police stopped their investigations.
Siddiqi said that in the domestic violence cases, the advantage was that marriages were saved and couples given a second chance.

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “The MCB supports these tribunals. If the Jewish courts are allowed to flourish, so must the sharia ones.”

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If a nation sets up two different court systems within its land then it, in effect has set up two different standards of justice. I see this as the start of a lot of future problems for the UK. This is a bad thing. If they want Sharia law, it should be uniform for everyone, that is fair. If they want to incorporate Sharia law, then they should incorporate it within their existing legal structure, making their current legal system a hybrid system that has bits and pieces of each system that are known and applied to all citizens. But to have one system apply to one set of people and another system apply to a different set is simply a recipe for disaster.

What happens when a Muslim decided he doesn't want to follow the Mulism laws? Is that free will? Does he get tried under Sharia law because he is a Muslim under the theory that once a Muslim, always a Muslim? This is a mistake. Nothing more than a big honking mistake.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
[Silly rant=on]

I think it's discriminatory for there not of be courts set up to MY religious beliefs. My own unique religious beliefs are being singled out by the regular courts than that is not fair. I am being oppressed.

My religion state that I should be allowed to (insert ridiculous religious dogma here) anyone who doesn't agree with me.

[Silly rant=off]

Is this next??

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The title made this look scary, but it's just arbitration, right? All parties must agree to have their dispute settled there. What's the difference between that and our arbitration system? Looks like if you commit a criminal offense, domestic violence not withstanding, you still go to the real courts, right?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Until they get a sympathetic judge to rule that the 'regular' courts are discriminatory to that religion.

Slippery slope, big time.

American Woman

Site Supporter
It sounds like the Muslim women are getting the short end of that stick :eek:
I can't imagine being in a country that respects a woman as an equal, and she takes the latter. I want to say it's stupid on their part, but knowing how an abused woman thinks, I know a lot of it could be fear. Even if it is just an arbitration system they don't have a say and won't take it.
I think if they want to be barbarians then they should keep it to themselves....but when in Rome you do as the Roman's do, or UK as this case may be :hide:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/beliefs/sharia_1.shtml

Sharia is a now a familiar term to Muslims and non-Muslims. It can often be heard in news stories about politics, crime, feminism, terrorism and civilisation.

All aspects of a Muslim's life are governed by Sharia. Sharia law comes from a combination of sources including the Qur'an (the Muslim holy book), the Hadith (sayings and conduct of the prophet Muhammad) and fatwas - the rulings of Islamic scholars.

Many people, including Muslims, misunderstand Sharia. It's often associated with the amputation of limbs, death by stoning, lashes and other medieval punishments. Because of this, it is sometimes thought of as draconian. Some people in the West view Sharia as archaic and unfair social ideas that are imposed upon people who live in Sharia-controlled countires.

Many Muslims, however, hold a different view. In the Islamic tradition Sharia is seen as something that nurtures humanity. They see the Sharia not in the light of something primitive but as something divinely revealed. In a society where social problems are endemic, Sharia frees humanity to realise its individual potential.

=====
Until recently, mortgages were a religious obstacle to any Muslim who wanted to buy a home. Muslims must be sure that the mortgage complies with Sharia (Islamic) law. The biggest problem for a British Muslim who wants to buy a house is that either paying or charging of interest is prohibited.

Most UK mortgages involve the house-buyer borrowing the money and paying it back with some interest charged on top. No good for Muslims. To avoid the issue of paying interest, Muslim mortgages usually involve the bank buying the property and then the buyer purchasing it from them and renting it over a length of time at a slightly increased price.

Muslim mortgages also involve making other aspects of the mortgage Sharia compliant, for instance making sure that the money the banks use to buy the property comes from permissible sources.

Until July 2002 only one financial institution in the UK offered Islamic mortgages (The United Bank of Kuwait). The shortage of Muslim mortgages was due to a combination of technical and cultural problems.

Stamp duty was one of the biggest problems. Stamp duty is a one-off tax that is charged on every property sold. But stamp duty was being charged twice on Islamic mortgages because in a Muslim mortgage the property is in theory bought twice (once by the bank and once by the buyer).

Banking institutions also lacked knowledge not only of Sharia, but also of the Muslim community itself, and this probably held up the development of Sharia compliant products. All financial products for Muslims must be checked by a panel of Muslim scholars, and bankers were not used to working with religious experts and were unfamiliar with the language of the Qur'an.

The law on stamp duty has been altered - double stamp duty was abolished on Islamic mortgages in April 2003 - and the government has been urging banks to work with Muslims. One of the first results came in July 2003 when HSBC, one of the biggest banks in the UK, brought out a range of Sharia-compliant mortgages. By the end of 2005 there were five banks offering Islamic mortgages, including Lloyds TSB and the Islamic Bank of Britain.

This new interest in Islamic finance may seem like a dream come true for Muslims, but some remain cynical about the mortgages on offer. UK banks need to work on gaining the trust of the Muslim community. They have ignored the needs of Muslims for a long time so it is not surprising that many Muslims are concerned that the banks are not really taking Muslims' ethical concerns seriously.

A big concern for Muslims is that they have to find more money in the beginning than borrowers going for a traditional mortgage. Sharia mortgages usually involve paying a large deposit, often around thirty percent of the total cost.

Arshad Majid, who helped to set up Sharia-compliant mortgages in the US, says that this is not necessarily a bad thing. "You could argue that the larger down-payment is actually decreasing your costs over time. It's giving you a greater percentage of equity in the property at a faster rate." Arshad also stresses that following Sharia law is about doing what is right, not saving money. "No one says that Islam is an easy religion to follow, but we believe that the rewards of being a Muslim are great as well. Halal food costs more money than regular food, yet nobody thinks twice about buying halal meat. Why would you think twice about doing Islamic banking?"

Some Muslims are not convinced that banks will test their products rigorously enough. But Nizam Yaquby, a highly respected Sharia scholar who advises banks, has been impressed by the way HSBC has approached Muslim finance. Scholars were called in to advise on the Sharia-compliance of the new mortgages and he says he is satisfied with their efforts.

Others are concerned that the banks may be using money in non-permissible activities (like financing breweries or non-halal meat companies). Many scholars concede that laws regulating money in the UK cannot be as strict as they would be in Muslim countries while still making sure the products on offer conform to Sharia.

It may take some time and some changes within the Muslim community before Muslims are happy with the mortgages on offer but home ownership is an important step forward for Muslims that should lead to greater financial stability and greater social inclusion.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All parties must agree to have their dispute settled there. ... domestic violence not withstanding...
Strikes me that intimidation and subjugation of women is so common and accepted in the Muslim culture that women are in serious trouble. Under the real threat of death, something that is also fairly common in the Muslim culture for women, how many women do you think will push the issue into the real court system? I think this is a step back about 500 years for women.

And by the way, how much outrage do you think it would cause if a Catholic court system was imposed as a parallel system? Not that I'm stirring any pots :whistling:

Cityboy

Banned
The title made this look scary, but it's just arbitration, right? All parties must agree to have their dispute settled there. What's the difference between that and our arbitration system? Looks like if you commit a criminal offense, domestic violence not withstanding, you still go to the real courts, right?

This is the proverbial "camel's nose in the tent". Little by little the Islamo-Fascists are conquering the UK. Think about it. Sever restrictions on private ownership of firearms. Rapidly increasing Muslim population agitating for "their rights". The Brits better wake up before it's too late.