• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted: Super Imp 1450

I would definitely get the automatic transmission. Not that the 4 speed is no good but a snowcat has a small power to ground speed range and up/down shifts frequently when working on a slope or in deep snow. The C model is when they went to the auto transmission and I believe all Cs came with the OC-12.

I also think a plow/blade is much more handy than a winch and if you use the blade correctly will probably never need a winch. If you have to go on any side slopes that get drifted over a blade is a must IMO.

If the towing capacity of you truck is a deciding factor I would then go with a LMC 1500 as my second choice. Not only will you be hauling the cat but full fuel and all your stuff for the weekend. Plus the trailer weight and it all starts to add up real quick. I would want to see some actual weight of the different machines and not rely on brochures or other published data. I have a hard time believing your chart on the empty weight of the 1500 vs 1200 but I don't know for sure.

The newer LMC 1200 probably had more steel, heavier frames? Not sure. There are 4 axel models, 5 axel models, diesels and other issues that make any published weights questionable. The A and B models were known for being light weight but suspensions and transmissions were not as desirable to some, so you may want to focus on the 75-78 models.

:biggrin:I myself own several different cats and can tell you that depending on conditions no snocat is perfect for every situation. I have had my LMC1500 stuck as many times as my Thiokol Super Imp 1450. Both machines are very good performers but both have limitations. Have had both machines at 10,000 plus elevation and 5to 6 foot powder and both bellied up and kept going. Are you planning on packing trail into your cabin or just going in one time? If you use trail more often it sure helps. My favorite cat overall all is the Tucker . Ride cant be beat and no brake steer to impede progress on a steep climb.Have had problems with trying to turn brakesteer cat in deep powder on a steep incline.Any way there are alot of good machines to choose from but i do beleive most will have limits. Good Luck on your quest!

I completely agree and a Tucker might very well be the better snowcat but I have never had the opportunity to drive one. I'll admit I've drooled over yours with the flames on more than one occasion!

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I would want to see some actual weight of the different machines and not rely on brochures or other published data. I have a hard time believing your chart on the empty weight of the 1500 vs 1200 but I don't know for sure.

Agreed on knowing the weight of the individual cat.

Yeah I'm having a hard time nailing down the (advertised) weights. The Thiokol 1200 weight of 3900 lbs on my chart came from Safety One:
http://safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/thiokol.spryte.2.html

But then if you look at the LMC 1200 spec sheet it shows 6100-6500 lbs, which is waaaay too heavy for me:
http://safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/lmc.1200.2.html

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Alaska Snow Cat, Not sure if Tucker is the best cat but we sure do enjoy getting it out and playing. I am currently rebuilding a 443a what a project! Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck to Sheep Mtn Jon on finding your new cat.

R

Reddog

I know a guy over in Crested Butte that has a full cab 1404 and a 1200 for sale. Decent rigs at decent pricing. PM me if you want info on them.
(and FWIW, my cut down TM was the BEST deep snow climber I have ever run under 8' wide, but I have not had a Tucker....)
1016663_10201472698756156_1219786694_n.jpg

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Doug, Nice picture of deep powder catting. Beautiful country you have up there to play in. Nice machine you have I dont know much about them other than what i have read on the forums.Is the picture this year or last?

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Well after looking at picture more closely and with my eyes open it saya 2013 Sorry for the dumb question.

R

Reddog

Doug, Nice picture of deep powder catting. Beautiful country you have up there to play in. Nice machine you have I dont know much about them other than what i have read on the forums.Is the picture this year or last?
Thanks for the props. Yeah, couple years back, that rig live up near Steamboat now. It was a nice cat for sure! (But then again, you have a pretty darn nice one yourself....)

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
These will not float like a 1200. They will turn really tight. Gearing is pretty tall (non-reducted OC-12) and they go fast.

How does your super imp handle steep/ slower speeds? Is it geared low enough crawl up hill at 3-5mph?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Seems like you've been getting some great advice here...

My personal experience is limited to only a 1402 and the current 1450 restofab project.

I know for a fact that my 1402 climbed wonderfully much powder in its runs, and 1450 performed farely well in conditions I've had it.

This year been promised to be snowy, thus I'm really hoping to hit a storm or two on the cat in Tahoe area and see how well it does overall.

Every call I get on the cat, I have to say that I hope the guy just says its "too much" for the price, and it still stays in my possession... :)

Best of luck w/choosing a right machine, although it seems like they are all right, as long as they are all in "ones" possession... :whistling:

akmountaineer

Thanks ASC, definitely learning a lot here. The more I read (and watch on YouTube), the more it seems that a Spryte might be the ticket. I'm having a hard time sorting through all the 1200 models though. It would seem I'd want a OC12 and auto tranny, but not sure what specific models I should be looking at? It also seems that some of the LMC 1200 models got very heavy - like 6000 lbs or so? A little confused on that...

I need something that I can haul with my Tundra which has a tow capacity of 6700 lbs or so. A 4000 lb Spryte + trailer will put me just about there. The overall width of the Spryte with standard tracks is about 8.5' which is OK for towing, but may need to do some widening/clearing of my timbered access road! That's assuming standard tracks are what I need instead of WT.

I ended up going with the 1450 over the Spryte after considering both due to the easier hauling of the 1450. I have a Tundra also, so weight was the primary concern followed by width. The Sprytes I looked at were well above the book numbers in weight and width (widetrack), so they didn't fit my operations. I have heard nothing but good things about their performance from people on this board, so if hauling was not required, I probably would have gone with a full cab wide track Spryte.