• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Spryte - paper vs. oil air filter

zspryte

Site Supporter
My Spryte came with an oil bath type air filter. It make a mess with all the bouncing around and whenever I take it off I seem to spill some. I was thinking about switching to a paper filter type. I don't have a lot of dust. What has been your experience? If anybody with a 170 cid has converted to paper, if you have part number or supplier for the filter canister, I'd appreciate it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
any single barrel ford automotive air filter will work the tug I work on has one off a mid sized ford sedan the plus with the auto motive air filter is they come with the thermostatic door so you can pull warm or off the exhaust manifold for better performance when running cold

Sylvia Tunaskas

Mine came with a paper filter set up. (1986 LMC 1200) I recently had two Holley #1940 rebuilt at carbsonly.com If you go to their website they have an toll free line or you can send a message. If you call and ask for Carlos he can walk you through the website and show you what he has. I remember seeing the paper filter set up for the Holley #1940, but cannot navigate to the page to put the link up now. (make sure you know what model your carb is and / or have a picture of it)

I saw the page last week and was surprised to see it, as many have asked me where to get one. Carlos is knowledgeable and eager to get you what you need. I will bet he can end your search and set you up. Good luck.

Sylvia Tunaskas

I went back to carbsonly.com and navigated to this link:

http://carbsonly.com/frames/indandfarm.htm

If you scroll to the bottom you should see Replacement Carb and air filter for 1904 - 1908 - 1940 industrial carbs. Not sure if you fit into that category, but it is a start.

In my service manual I have hand written DMC part#1230085-130 and Ford P&A part#
EOTZ-9600H relating to a Dry Type Air cleaner. Not sure it will help, but....

Good luck!

Sylvia Tunaskas

If you go to the link above it does not take you to where I was at. (copy/paste) On that link look to the left and click on "pictures to identify". Then go to the bottom...

It is much easier if you are talking to Carlos. Once I realized that I moved to a solution.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had trouble with a paper filter getting wet in deep light powder. I bought a K&N style cone shaped filter off E-Bay and clamped it to a 90 degree pvc fitting that fit the carb throat. I drilled the pvc to fit the carb all-thread, filled a flat spot into it and put on a wingnut. The filter lays toward the rear of the engine. This has been working well for years.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like this...

Attachments

• plow frame 003.jpg
    plow frame 003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 363

zspryte

Site Supporter
Did some measuring. I have a Holley model 1940 carb with an air intake OD of 2.230". There is 3.375" between the top of the air intake and the top of the air filter screw. The insulation on my cover touches the top of the current 9" diameter oil-bath filter, so I know how much room I have. Thanks for the tip about powder snow and paper filters. I would have learned the hard way without your experience. Now I just need to search the web to see what I can find.

mtncrawler - very creative solution. I may just follow suite. I only have a 170 CID so I think I have a little more room to work with than you did.

Sylvia Tunaskas

Went to my local Carquest trying to find an air filter replacement for the after market dry type air filter for my Holley #1940. I had tried the web, searching by dimensions, to no avail. After over an hour of trying they were able to find one that had close dimensions. (Mr. Gasket Co. #1485A) It came in yesterday and perfectly matched the one I was looking for.

I went to their website this morning and found they had many different complete air cleaner set ups available and some adapters. The pictures are not complete (all views), but it may be a lead you can turn into a solution. Hope it helps.

http://shop.mr-gasket.com/air-and-fuel-systems/air-cleaners-and-accessories.html?p=1

(the 1490 looks very similar to the one I have)

zspryte

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info - I bought a K&N #60-1010. For my 170 CID, it gives me about 40% more filtration than needed. It is made for a 2 5/16 diameter carb. My Holley 1940 measures 2.230 so to get a sung fit I made a washer out of sheet aluminum. Its about 3 OD, with a 2 1/4 hole. I siliconed the washer to the air filter base. I put a small O-ring on the carb before I put the filter on. I also had to plug a 1/2" port in the air filter base. I found a plastic plug at the hardware store and siliconed it in. As soon as I get a pic of it I will post it. Just curious, did you do any modifications? The Mr. Gasket 1490 is for a 2 5/16 carb too.

Sylvia Tunaskas

To be honest it was on the cat when I bought it in 2008. The cat came from a Southern Ca electric utility. The broker I bought it from has an arrangement with them, and when they cycle one out they call him and he picks it up.

As I recall the bottom of the chrome unit is tapered. There is a hose clamp around the tapered part that holds a plastic piece that fits perfectly over the carb top. (It also appears that you have to twist it a bit and it falls into place) The top nut holds everything in place. The cat is at the Cabin (it's summer resting place) and I left the chrome part of the cleaner on it to discourage critters from taking up residence in the new carb. The snow should be gone in the next couple of weeks so we can drive in. I will take my camera up next trip and shoot pictures of the unit.

I am more of a backyard mechanic than a fabricator. We have an excellent mechanic that services our units as well as many others in the Northwest. (as well as areas around the world)

In the Cascades we rarely have the luxury of deep dry powder. If we get a 3'-6' dump it soon turns to Cascade Cement, so dry powder sucking through the air filter is something I have yet to experience.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like your solution. I built a jeep with a 327 Chev and used all thread to hold the air filter on. After several years the all thread worked it's way out, the wing nut stayed on top of the filter housing and the all thread worked it's way thu the carb, intake manifold, intake valve and when it got on top of the piston we had a problem Houston. The piston pivoted on the wrist pin and split the block open. Not to cool. I suggest making sure that no pieces can come loose and ruin an engine. Experience the hard way, just thought I would pass this on

Sylvia Tunaskas

Just returned from the Cabin and took pictures of the after market aircleaner that came with my cat. Not sure if the Mr. Gasket unit comes with the black plastic piece that fits the top of the carb. I looked on the black plastic piece and there were no markings to identify it. The black plastic piece fits into the top of the cone, and rests on the top of the carb. (Holley # 1940). I tried to show that in the pictures, but may have taken too many pictures. I am not sure how many I can upload, so if I get cut off I will load the rest in a following post. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• DSC02340r.jpg
    DSC02340r.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02349r.jpg
    DSC02349r.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC02348r.jpg
    DSC02348r.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC02347r.jpg
    DSC02347r.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC02346r.jpg
    DSC02346r.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC02345r.jpg
    DSC02345r.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02344r.jpg
    DSC02344r.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02343r.jpg
    DSC02343r.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02342r.jpg
    DSC02342r.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC02341r.jpg
    DSC02341r.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02350r.jpg
    DSC02350r.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02351r.jpg
    DSC02351r.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 222

wildskies.com

I have a 200 cid (1202B) and it does not vapor lock as bad with the oil bath baffles and oil gone. I feel that the paper filter has less air restriction. No bench flow proof though.....
Hot or warm starts seem to be a lot easier. I think that I still need to relocate the fuel line to keep it cooler.
How is your project?

zspryte

Site Supporter
Last season I added an electric fuel pump and reran the fuel line from it to the carb with braided hose. In the engine compartment I put the line in a heat shield tube. Yeah - overkill but not starting with the whole family due to vapor lock is not fun. I did not get any vapor lock last winter or spring.

The Napa electric pump I put in jammed up in the beginning of the summer so I put in a Mallory pump. Much quieter and is supposed to handle stuff in the fuel line better. I mounted it under the floor under the back seat. I bolted the pump to a piece of 1/2" thick conveyor belt and then bolted the belt to the frame. The screws that hold the pump to the belt are recessed so they don't touch the cat frame and the bolts that hold the belt to the frame doesn't touch the pump bracket. No noise in cab now. Added a marine filter/water separator back by the tank. I will see how it works this season.

Found a K&N air filter that fits. Need to take a picture of it. Based on the info on K&N web site, the filter has about 40% more area than a 170 cid needs.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg